Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Ed Roth's Mysterion

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Ed Roth's Mysterion

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. loudbang

loudbang

It was a pleasure following the story here on the HAMB. He seems to be a nice down to earth guy and discussed things with members willingly and cheerfully. Good on him :)

chryslerfan55 and dana barlow like this.
  3. @Ryan If Jeff wrote the book who wrote the "Author's Note:" which mentions being a historical adviser to Jeff?

chryslerfan55, Stogy and SDhotrod like this.
  4. alchemy

alchemy

I haven't read this new book, but I remember reading a book in grade school by Roth which showed how he built the original car. Lots of B&W pics of plaster and a real mess. But the end result was amazing. Just like this one.

5. sololobo

sololobo

very nice photo shoot, sorry for the mishap, but what a great attitude about the setback. So wonderful to have this icon re-done. Thanx for sharing

loudbang likes this.
  6. brad2v

brad2v

@Tom davison

7. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Enjoy the story/history and how it's all part of my youth too time wise.
    What a outstanding job was done on both car and book. Like it all better now then I did when looking through my teen eyes at the time.
    In those years as this was unfolding for first time,I really only liked Roth's "Outlaw".
    The rest did not ring my bell much,yet very big part of all the fun. I had two cars{28 bobtailed rod,and full custom "J"}, in high school{early 60s}in most of the indoor shows around Florida. Airbrushed crazy "T"shirts at many of the shows as well under my art name "The Bat". Point being,even if one dose not care for design of a number of show rods,they are amazing cool too the time .
    Love it now more then ever !.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  8. loudbang, HEMI32, brad2v and 2 others like this.
  9. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I also read Roths book in 1966 when I was in sixth grade. The Mysterion has aways been my utmost favorite Roth car. And that book started me on the sickness of building cars for the last 53 years. lol Larry

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  10. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Beautiful car.... Great book!

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  11. Very nice article Tom and Ryan. Thanx for the kind words. Crashing the top was not fun by any means (I got lazy and didn't put the car cover on which was on when we went to the park initially) but as Tom says, it did give me a chance to fix a couple design flaws so all was not lost. Was actually pretty easy, just cut the urethane adhesive that held the bubble in the frame, fixed the road rash on the frame and glued in another bubble. As I described in the book, I built the top frame very strong with hard wood skeleton so it will take a direct nuclear hit or two before dying!! Big hit was the price of the replacement bubble. The guy I was working with at the plastic shop was no longer there and the new management charged me almost as much for one as they did for the first two.

Funny thing is a couple months before this photo shoot I took my '36 Willys coupe gasser clone to a street rod run and parked on the same grass. The park ranger did get a nice photo shoot of the car before he ran us off.

I finally got the oil field photo shoot by a Sotheby's photog. Just sorry Tom didn't get a shot at it. I love his interpretations.
    IMG_3330.JPG

41 GMC K-18, bowie, Deuces and 18 others like this.
  12. 392

Labor of love. Concept to reality. Good stuff.

loudbang likes this.
  13. autobilly

autobilly

@willys36 , superb job! What's it like to drive?

loudbang likes this.
  14. I never drove it. I started the engine once but only for about a minute. Didn't want to blue the headers before selling it. In fact the only time I sat in it was once during construction. I can attest it will be a severe challenge to drive. If I hadn't left out the passenger side tranny, it would be impossible to drive. Really looking forward to driving it when the Stahl's mechanic gets it purring.

Here is the only time I sat in it.
    securedownload5.jpg securedownload6.jpg

15. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Special shoot, outside of Prescott, AZ

LSR-1-4.jpg

16. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  17. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

I have seen the build pictures and I have seen Mr. Davison's work... what a great combination of subject and artist.

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and Tom davison like this.
  18. ME TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sancho likes this.
  19. Stogy, gsnort, Sancho and 3 others like this.
  20. Colin HD

Colin HD

Well Done Jeff!!!
    Great article & Great car.

21. Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    Stogy likes this.
  22. gsnort

gsnort
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow. Brings back many, many memories. No doubt about it, Roth was a true artist.

23. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What a noble effort to recreate one of Big Daddy’s finest! Great shots Ryan and Tom. I would love to see it in person someday. Don’t know how I missed this the first time around.

Stogy likes this.
  24. Cover of the October '19 Street Rodder with the Mysterion article.

SR.jpg

Stogy and loudbang like this.