Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest How do you old farts do it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by topher5150, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

I have a good friend that is almost 84. In our social group, if he asks for help, you better buckle up... you are about to have the hardest day of work you have ever experienced. My family lovingly calls him the "Terminator".:D

He has managed this strength by never, ever, stopping. At least that is the excuse he has offered. I try to follow his example and never stop. So far at 49, I cannot keep up, but I do keep trying.

2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Never, ever touched the stuff but people have been telling me about CBG for some time and the fact that cortisone in both thumb joints last week did DAMN LITTLE I'm going to look into it.

chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  3. Well they just passed medicinal mary jane in Missouri and I qualify. But the laws are so goofy that I am just going to keep a house plant or two around. I just came from the pharmacy and I can only get a one week supply of my pain meds, because I normally get 60 every 6 months I count as an addict. Yea right.

My grandpa dies when he was around 101, the last year he was alive we remodeled a house including putting steel beams under it to level it up. He had two strokes about 6 months after we finished the second one got him.

He was a funny old man he believed in me which was rare and lived with me on and off from the time I got set out on my own @ 14. Usually it seemed he needed a place to live when I was between jobs. Go figure.

He had Bursitis really bad in his left shoulder. He would not go in for his shots until I loaded him up and forced him to go (usually when he got to the point that he could not raise his arm). Then he was mad it me until we got to the ice cream store. LOL

Pain and Fatigue just means that you are still alive and alive certainly beats the alternative.

4. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I get very bad inflammation after a hard days work, particularly in my legs. Ibuprofen really helps, but at the cost of potential liver damage. Don't overdo it.

5. Deuces

Deuces

Who's that???.... You're boss????;)

6. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Yeah. My doc told me to stop taking Ibuprofen, as I had been taking entirely too much to make it to the end with an intact liver. I have early onset arthritis in hips, wrists, and hands, and the Ibu helped. Now I take Aleve on his suggestion. I assume the makers of Aleve send him more cash.:D

7. I bought this bucket job when I was 80 cause I was bored , Then I looked at it settin in the garage & ask myself what in the hell was I thinking. Got it mostly done now @ 85 1/2. Hope to enjoy the new motor for a spell. Working on some fenders that came with it now. It's all stock 6V &mechanical brakes with a sweeet warmed over 47 truck 24 stud. Sounds awsum. I post a sound bite but don't unnerstan this modern shit. Still use a land line.no I ain't changing or try'n ta learn. Nobody believes how good I look for my age. Believe I didn take care of meslf just one of the lucky ones I guess. 17190752_10211857988547165_6387173994950784626_n.jpg

8. Well, when you were younger, I bet you could park straighter, Burn Out Bob. LOL ^^

9. I can relate to these ^^^^^^^^^^

10. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_20170731_155545302_HDR.jpg
    Oh, I have things to assist with the heavy lifting also...doing millwright and large tonnage HVAC equipment work for a living helps. 49 years on the job and counting...it gives me something to do and the $ to do it with. Work smarter, not harder.
    Keep after it and some youngster will be asking you how you do it before you know it....

11. frank spittle

frank spittle

Until today there were were two Woodstock 50s, one at the original site, the other at Watkins Glen Raceway promoted by original Woodstock co-founder Michael Lang. It has reportedly been canceled. Thankfully, we are and have been going to the other one at the original site.

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. aaggie

aaggie

I'm 75 and as I got older and realized I couldn't do a lot of things like I used too I learned other ways. I keep an engine hoist assembled and use it to pick up heavy stuff in the truck bed. I have a few movers dollies around to roll stuff around the shop and a few years back I had a two post lift installed in the shop. It sure beats crawling around on a creeper. All of my tools like anvils and bench grinders are on stands with wheels so they can be rolled out to use then rolled back into the storage are when done. Welders are on carts and things like drop lights and air hoses are on hanging reels and there are several in different areas to reach anywhere in the shop. Last I have a few younger friends that will come over and help and enjoy a few beers.
    There is an old song, "It takes me all night long to do what I used to do all night long".

chryslerfan55 and Hnstray like this.
  13. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm a 1957 model. As said in a couple above, pace yourself. Still, I should have listened to my body instead of the old guys. "Don't be a pussy, work that pain out!" 4 discs in my back are fucked. I choose busy over the alternatives and never play hero. Once past a certain age you make less mistakes. Can't tell you what that age is, and frankly nobody told me either so...

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  14. 34Larry

34Larry

This was a subject a week or so back also. I'm 80, my back hurts a lot most days, and I have enouth other issues to write a book from Diabetes, but I do my best to just blow it off. There are tasks that I won't try, like lifting a pressure washer in to my P/U and stuff like that, I know my limitations. I'm a scrawny, little shit( 140#'s, 5' 11 at that time but went to 180 by retirement), and always have been, but at about 25 or so I took a better paying job than Boeing was paying...………...as a shop Iron Worker, (meaning I did not work the high steel), it was damned hard work with a lot of heavy lifting. Real honest hard work, fabbed everything from handrailing to skyscrapers, nukes and everything in between and I just did what I had to do for the next 35 years. Point is, I thought nothing of it until my back gave out and had to return to a desk position. So for me it is just ingrained in me to do what has to be done within my limitations. Yeah...…….there's times I pay for it, even if its just yard work, the next day but I'd rather have things done on the 34 or the house/yard than not and be pissed off if it ain't. Times coming though when, (like a couple of very close friends), have the desire/need is there and flesh will be to weak. At that time, maybe its just time to check out I'm thinking. Short answer here would be'...…. it's mind over matter and contrary to what you might think, for me it does matter.

15. leon bee

leon bee

Three real close friends are gone now, got a couple more kinda circling the drain. Scares me..........not really so afraid of dying, but I got SO much left to do. I take good care of myself; don't smoke, don't drink, basically vegetarian, get all my tests done. Doesn't matter, still hurt all over.

chryslerfan55, Truck64 and Deuces like this.
  16. mbailey99gt

mbailey99gt

Try to take care of myself.
    Keto diet works with my Diabetes ,(type 2).
    20 minute workout every other day.
    10k steps almost every day.
    Sleep 7 hrs a night.
    Stay busy with grandkids, cars, garage...enjoy the moment.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

chryslerfan55, OLSKOOL57 and Deuces like this.
  17. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My dad raised 10 kids. Friends asked him,
    "Ron...how the hell do you DO it?!?"
    He replied,
    "You just DO it!!!"

But then, years later he was saying to me...
    "I was trying to do some yard work. You know, there's a difference between difficult and impossible.

I can do difficult.

I have to say though...
    Seems like lately, we're startin' to sound like a bunch of old people around here.
    Cut it out. LOL...

18. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

Funny you should say that, this 71yr. Old Fart spent 6 hrs. today on my project and was wearing my “Old Guys Rule “t-shirt while pushing my 57 Chevy around in the garage.

19. Speaking of old farts.....once you get to a certain age, perhaps late 60s early 70s, you learn to never trust that a fart is just a fart.

chryslerfan55, Dino 64 and Deuces like this.
  20. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

Yea,.............Young today,Old Tomorrow......Happens Quick!!

21. Funny, I thought growing old would take longer.:(

Just Gary, OLSKOOL57, Dino 64 and 3 others like this.
  22. firingorder1

firingorder1

I'm headed for 74. I can't do things like I used to. But I keep going if somewhat slower. I can't remember who said it but he said "Anyone who tells you he can do at 70 what he did at 20 wasn't up to much at 20." Regardless of that I mailed off my Bonneville entry last week. Short of dead I'll be there.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  23. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Guy about 70 goes to the Doc for his Annual Physical. After the checkup, the guy say's "So, Doc, do you think I'll make it to 90?" The Doc says "well, do you drink alcoholic beverages?"....."no"...."how about red meat? Do you enjoy a good steak from time to time?"...."no"....."do you enjoy a good cigar occasionally?"........again "....no....". "one last question" says the Doc. "do you still have an active sex life? still chase women?"........"no".......Exasperated, the Doc says "Then why the HELL would you care??"

as for me, I'm 75 and 're the above, "I do what I can.......;)"

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    chryslerfan55, Deuces, raven and 5 others like this.
  24. Had fun with this one.....no steering box......and a big block up front.... IMG_20190428_192129_070.jpg

25. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

"Eat Right, Stay Fit, Die Anyway"

chryslerfan55, Blue One and leon bee like this.
  26. Looks pretty straight to me PHIL. Camera angle is deceiving.

chryslerfan55, Deuces and Chili Phil like this.
  27. We're very ugly to watch , flopping around like a fish on the dock, but we still get it done flopping around under our cars at 70 to 80 years old. 4 cups of coffee , 2 vitamin B12's and hit it! Found these old guys pict doing it, 4 guys 2 boards and "Happen"
    [​IMG]
    ct1932ford, Jun 1, 2014 Report

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  28. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

At 74, S-L-O-W-L-Y, I just completed a job on my OT truck, that required removing and replacing the transmission. Maybe a day's job for a real mechanic. With lots of interruptions, took me 9 days (and broke an old plastic creeper). I feel luck that I can still work under a truck that is on jack stands.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    OLSKOOL57 and Deuces like this.
  29. Perry Hvegholm

Perry Hvegholm

Advanced, chronic Psoriatic Arthritis. Two ruptured lumbar discs. Torn rotator in one and Bursitis in both shoulders. I get up and get at it every day. I rather like Stephen King's take on it: "Get busy living...or get busy dying."

Having a couple of grown sons that you're lucky enough to have turned gearhead comes in handy at times, too.

30. I'm 64 and moving a tad slower than even 5 years ago. The back, neck and shoulder injuries are taking their toll. Had a heart stress test yesterday and that went well, although they want me to take a nuke stress test. They can't get through the muscle to do a good echo after the treadmill test. Got to pace yourself a bit more. I get help with big projects. I plan to expand my garage to make things easier on me probably next year if I retire.