Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Model A Driver project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by green73, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Did you just drill out the rivets for the braces?

2. Yeah. Just drilled them out. Center punched them first, drilled a pilot, and slowly stepped up bit sizes until they came off. It was a bit of a pain in the butt working around the brake rods.

3. Slow progress. Just having fun with it right now. Traded the dual Stromberg 97s for a single Holley 94 set-up. WoW! what a driveability difference. Here are a few pics from the last couple weeks. Cockpit view from El-Mirage, Stripped and repainted shifter handle, and 32 dash progress. KIMG0128.JPG View attachment 3915567 View attachment 3915567 KIMG0132.JPG

brEad and ROCKER77 like this.
  4. Dash pic. Insert is 54 Ford truck based. KIMG0110.JPG

winduptoy, brEad and F&J like this.
  5. Been a long time since I added any updates on this. I am plucking away on the chassis. It is now sitting on tires free of jackstands. I'll post some pics hopefully in sequence. A few mods on the front backing plates. KIMG0581.JPG KIMG0582.JPG KIMG0588.JPG KIMG0590.JPG

roll of the dices and waxhead like this.
  6. Rear spring set-up. I took all the brackets of the 1940 banjo rear. Bolling Brothers custom cut the spring hanger brackets for the smaller diameter axle tubing. I also got the drums from them as well. The ones I had were too far out of spec to re-use. Another change is the rear crossmember. I changed my plan after having the chassis made. Maybe there will be a quickchange in the future. So, I had to cut the rear crossmember out and go with a Model A piece. The spring is one from 100%Matt here on the HAMB. 2 leaves are removed for now. KIMG0579.JPG KIMG0596 (1).JPG KIMG0595.JPG KIMG0594.JPG

brEad likes this.
  7. And one just for fun. KIMG0568.JPG

8. I recently lost the place I was working on the frame. Had to reluctantly pull the 40 Ford project from its long term spot to make room for this one. I'm only sad about storing the 40 outside. Having all of the stuff here at my own garage makes working on it much easier. No having to lug stuff to and from on my friend's schedule. Still I am very grateful for the time and space he kindly gave me. Now for progress: KIMG1080.JPG KIMG1086.JPG KIMG1095.JPG

louisb, slim38 and brEad like this.
  9. First pic is of the initial drop in of the engine mock-up. It was a bit too far forward. I have a junk radiator on the way that will be good for a more refined mock-up. I'm shooting for 3/4" radiator to fan clearance. The 3rd pic if a cardboard firewall mock-up. I based position from measurements from the body mount holes in the frame cross-refrenced with the coupe's body. Hopefully it gets me close and I can locate the engine without having to do firewall surgery.

winduptoy and brEad like this.
  10. Fan clearance probably won't be an issue. On initial fit up of the grille shell I had it resting right up against the front crossmember. Looks like the radiator will push that a bit forward. The back of the radiator looks almost centered on the crossmember. KIMG1098.JPG KIMG1100.JPG

brEad and waxhead like this.