Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Tricks to control squeaks and rattles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

I did a lot of what has been mentioned here. The inner tube is a good idea. I did not use bees wax on the wood. The cab has wood mounting rails. I'll do that on the next build. I used a lot of the rubber biscuits that Bob Drake sells to mount a lot of stuff. I think some of my issues may be self induced. I am a close tolerance guy, due to being the QC Manager of a Flight Program, so all of the gauges etc. had a press fit. Looking back, I should have left 1/8" of clearance.

Live and learn.

2. My '59 Ford has a quiet ride to it. I have Fat Mat on the floor, good carpet and just about everything that bolts to the chassis is new.

3. Regular WD40 contains a lot of petroleum solvent that can, to some degree, attack rubber and plastics. But there is a WD40 product that's listed as a "water resistant silicone lubricant" that sounds better for use on rubber bushings and the like.

Rubber weatherstripping can make some funny squeaks and squawks when it gets dried out. GM recommends treating then with their dielectric grease to soften them for better sealing and to keep them quiet. Any other high silicone grease would probably work as well.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    stanlow69 likes this.
  4. alchemy

alchemy

When you start adding anti-squeak stuff out of a spray can or tube, make sure it won't have ingredients that will effect future paint work. We'd hate to have you start a thread about issues with your paint. o_O

RMONTY likes this.
  5. big john d

big john d
    from ma

two years in an m60 tank 70-71 quieted every thing down they are noisy then they are really noisy

6. Do or did your other rides rattle like this or is this one have some special annoying noises that are beyond normal for a mid 30s truck?

Hard rubber like a hockey puck makes shitty bushings for guys that want Stuff quiet

7. Roothawg

Roothawg

Oh, I would say it is probably normal for a 75 year old car....
    It's just more noticeable since I have been driving mama's 2017 Lincoln Daily. They have really improved on quietening the new daily drivers down.

I just have a high end build in the wings I wanna do. I hope to catch most of them on the build this time.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  8. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Don't own a Mustang...

9. Cloth electrical tape could probably be used as a substitute for the aircraft product. It would be thinner and easier to fit between metal panels.

If any sort of foam is used, it needs to be an automotive grade. They are application specific, too. The "Fill-a-Crack" type stuff you purchase from the hardware store is not what should be used.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  10. Any OEM foam holds water too.
    The standard NHV stuff rots everything it used against.

11. Let your wife ride in the passenger seat...if she's like mine you won't have an opportunity to hear anything else...kidding dear (just in case she reads this).

12. Roothawg

Roothawg

I found one of my major rattles this week. It was the glove box door hinge area. That will be remedied soon...

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.