Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Don't neglect your trailer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldpl8s, Apr 28, 2019.

1. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

I have a trailer I bought used about 15 years ago and used to haul cars many times for 100's of miles. I noticed something sticking out of the back of one of the hubs so I took it apart and and saw the rear bearing and grease seal had totally blown up. I ended up replacing both hubs since the bearings were not available anymore and the hubs were damaged. The next time I was going to use this trailer was an 800 miles round trip, so I was very lucky to see this before I had a disaster. We spend so much time fixing our cars and that grungy old workhorse trailer needs routine maintenance too.

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep, one of the most neglected tools out there

dana barlow and VANDENPLAS like this.
  3. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

Just finished servicing the bearings, wiring and paint scrapes on my 10 year old car trailer. LED lights are awesome.
    Decided to add brakes to the second axle and what a difference. Now I need to put tires on it next. Trying to decide on radials or go back with bias ply.
    Radials can bind up turning tight on pavement.
    I just wish I could store it indoors.
    The sun takes its toll.

4. spanners

spanners

8 ply light truck is the only thing I'll use on any trailer. I did an 1600 klm (1000 mile) round trip with my racecar at the weekend and I check tyre pressures before I leave and will check them again before I leave for the next event. Jack up and spin the wheels and listen for growling bearings each time as well. When I stop for a piss or fuel I walk around and feel the hubs for excess heat. 40 years of truck driving teaches you preventative maintenance.
    Don't lend to anyone is the best way to maintain your gear.

VANDENPLAS, Truck64, Mr48chev and 3 others like this.

5. Available at any RV or boating place.

F0C30EC5-3AA8-4612-8278-FAA81D58B39D.jpeg

62hotcat and olscrounger like this.
  6. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

Everything he said there but also tyre heat, could be low pressure , you will learn when there is something wrong if you do this every tow.

7. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The only way my trailers go with someone else is if I'm with that someone else. No exceptions!

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  8. This is the time of year you start seeing trailers sitting on the side of the road, many times it the neglected tires, blowouts are pretty common as the temperatures heat up.

Now is the time to service your trailer before you haul and cars or trucks. HRP

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  9. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I had my trailer mfg. & repair business, I would always remind customers to jack up their trailers when not using them for long periods of time. Then once in a while go by & spin the wheels just to keep the bearings activated.
    Its easy to perform a quick check to see if the bearings need to be tightend up, just grab the wheel at the top & pull back & forth, if you feel a clunk-clunk, simply remove the cotter pin & tighten the nut a bit then replace the cotter pin.

10. My trailer, my truck, my ass in the drivers seat

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

olscrounger likes this.
  11. leon bee

leon bee

We loan the trailer to about anyone we know. Gotten a couple free good used tires that way when the borrower shredded one of our old nasty ones.

12. "Now I need to put tires on it next. Trying to decide on radials or go back with bias ply."
    I put radials on mine, made a big improvement in the way it towed. So far no problems maneuvering but I tend to avoid tight spaces. Most of my trips are over 400 miles one way.

dana barlow likes this.
  13. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Beside my hot rod a few times,I towed a race car for over 40+ years,all same trailer.
    Gone through more then a few tires,wheelbearings,light sets an lost a few ramps over the years. Built it in the mid 1960s,other then rewelding a few small spots,tell 2012 it had held up very well. Then I did a all over check up an paint.
    One or two +of you know what I built it out of? in the 1960's.. 001.JPG

14. leon bee

leon bee

15. japchris

japchris
    from England

Love it!
    WW2 Marston Matting
    [​IMG]

16. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

I bought a tilt bed trailer over 10 years ago. I didn't want the hassle of ramps. In the past I've used other people's trailers and it always seemed either the ramps were difficult to stow as they were meant to be and half the time the ramps were at the person who use it last house, 25 miles away.

Funny about the mention of what kind of tire to use. Simple, use a tire made for a trailer, don't use car or truck tires. Also, why use used tires? Would you put used tires on your car and then pile another car on top of it?

Also maintenance is super important. I neglected to do an annual greasing of my pivot points on my trailer and one let got, luckily I was close to home and didn't have a huge load on it. The tongue literally broke off on one side. I also let my son, who is a diary farmer, use my trailer to haul hay. He must have overloaded it a few times and bent the back axle. One the way home with a load of hay the wheel started smoking. Again, luckily he was near a trailer repair shop and they were able to replace the hub and he was able to get it home. Now I need a new axle.

My rule, except with my kids, is I will haul whatever a friend wants for a gas and a non-MacDonald's meal. I don't like lending my trailer out.

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just bought my first "car' trailer a month ago when it showed up on Craigslist for a seriously friendly price but it does need tires.
    For years my buddy hauled my stuff for a full tank of gas at the closest station to his house on the way back to his house and Pepsi and what we decided to have for lunch.
    My trailer came with a load of used tires and wheels but will get the full go over and new tires before I use it for hauling a car.