Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Randy Perez aka randingo8 Rest In Peace

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OG lil E, Apr 27, 2019.

1. I got a call from @PasoJohn last night telling me the sad news that elite bomb builder/owner Randy Perez passed away. Randy was a member of the Style Kings Car Club which is one of the premier bomb clubs on the west coast. His collection of bombs rivaled the best anywhere.
    Randy was also a proud member of the San Jose Fire Department serving his community for many years. He leaves a void in the lowriding community that can never be filled.
    He was a member right here on the HAMB that went by randingo8, although he rarely posted. I'm just mentioning this so the moderators can change his status to Member Emeritus.
    I never got to meet him personally, but I was in the right place at the right time in Paso in 2003. I was wandering around the show and I came upon a group of incredible bombs. Of course I had to stop and check them out. I was on my hands and knees checking out a '39 Chevy four door when a voice asked me if I liked what I saw. I looked up and it was none other than Joe Epstein. I told him I was checking out his chrome undercarriage and the hydraulic setup. He chuckled and told me it happened all the time. He introduced himself which was cool, but I knew who he was. Super nice guy! He gave me an up close look at his '39 and he even let me sit in it! We had a nice conversation talking bombs, customs and lowriders. After about 45 minutes, his grandkids came up and were asking him for a soda pop or Doritos or something so I cut our conversation short and I wished him well. I had just finished talking to him and was checking out more of his '39 when Randy walked up. You could tell they were old friends and each knew his stuff. They started talking bombs and what upcoming shows they were going to be at. I wish I would have taken a picture of them together, but I didn't want to interrupt their conversation. It was pretty cool to be a fly on the wall and listen to a "bomb" conversation between two legends.
    I'll post pictures of a few of his bombs which is just a small sampling of his excellent collection.
    Randy will be missed. My deepest condolences to his family, Style Kings club members and his dear friends.
    Con mucho respeto, vaya con Dios, Mr. Perez..........E

Style Kings Skirt

style kings skirt.jpg

Randy's Auburn

Randy's Auburn a.jpg

Randy's Auburn b.jpg

Randy's ultra rare '36 Chevy Roadster

Randy's 36 Chevy roadster a.jpg

Randy's 36 Chevy roadster b.jpg

Randy's 36 Chevy roadster c.jpg

Here's Randy with his '36 Chevy and his "Big Bomb"--the fire engine he drove.

Randy's 36 Chevy roadster d.jpg

Randy's '38 Dodge Humpback Panel Truck

Randy's 38 Dodge Hump a.jpg

Randy's 38 Dodge Hump b.jpg

Randy's 38 Dodge Hump c.jpg

Randy's 38 Dodge Hump d.jpg

Randy's '36 Packard

Randy's 36 Packard a.jpg

Randy's 36 Packard b.jpg

Randy's 36 Packard c.jpg

And my personal favorite. Randy's chopped '38 Dodge coupe.

38 Dodge sled c.jpg

38 Dodge sled b.jpg

'38 dodge sled a.jpg

2. loudbang

loudbang

3. Randy Perez.jpg
    Bernardo R. Perez
    July 29, 1961 - April 25, 2019

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  4. First met Randy in the '80s when he moved to Fremont (down the street from Dino @fremont32 Ramacciotti).

In 1999, he moved to his current home ... in a Cul-de-sac very close to my parent's (now my brother's) house.

Always enjoyed talking to Randy and checking out his latest project(s).

He was such a great guy!

My condolences to his wife Madelynn, his family, his brothers & sisters in the SJFD, his fellow Style Kings CC members, and all of his close friends.

RIP @randingo8 :(

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019

5. Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  6. Here's a goodguys logo.png / fuel curve logo.jpg article on Randy's T Roadster:

Randy-Perez-1927-Ford-Model-T-Hot-Rod (1).jpg
    RIGHT SIDE OF THE TRACKS: RANDY PEREZ’S 1927 FORD MODEL T HOT ROD
    May 25, 2018
    by Courtney Cutchen

It’s hard to resist hot rods like Randy (@randingo8) Perez’s 1927 Ford Model T Hot Rod. In the stance-is-everything game, Randy is an honor student. Read on.

Think back to your childhood for a brief moment. Were you interested in cars even at a young age? Did you have more Hot Wheels than your parents cared to step over on the floor? Did you “ooh and ahh” at the spectacle of anything with an engine and wheels? If any of this applies to you, then you could have been friends with Randy Perez.

Randy-Perez-1927-Ford-Model-T-Hot-Rod (2).jpg

There’s a lot to be said about Randy and his stable of custom vehicles, which he has dubbed “Randy’s Bomb Shop.” As a young boy, he found himself occupied with model cars, custom bicycles, and more.

Mechanical workings always fascinated him, and he pursued that knowledge throughout high school via auto shop, metal shop, electronics, and anything else related. Like many other auto enthusiasts, his passion for machines only grew as he did. However, his love affair with cars quickly surpassed the typical “weekend cruiser” lifestyle.

Randy-Perez-1927-Ford-Model-T-Hot-Rod (3).jpg

This is only our first story with Randy out of a larger series to come, so we’ll save the explanation of his collection for later. For now, we’d like to introduce you to his 1927 Model T hot rod.

This Model T is an eyeful, yet perfectly balanced. It presents itself traditionally in some ways, and in others, uniquely. Randy acquired the car in 2006 in an earlier, less complete form of what you see here. He had actually seen it around at various car shows, and always took note of it as one of his favorites. The choice of a six cylinder heart transplant and an extended, 127” wheelbase sweetened the deal.

Randy-Perez-1927-Ford-Model-T-Hot-Rod (4).jpg

After almost a year of his own searching, Randy saw this same Ford come up for sale. He knew he had to take the opportunity; as soon as the deal was made, he got to work customizing it.

“Once I bought the car,” he said, “I immediately changed the tires and wheels.” Not being a big fan of the radial tires and reverse dishes that came on the car, Randy opted for a custom made set of artillery wheels, powder coated in brilliant red. Custom is the key word here, as he needed the clearance to cover the rear disc brake conversion, which came from a Lincoln Versailles. In order for this combo to work, he staggered the wheels with the fronts at 15 x 6, and the rears at 15 x 7. For rubber, he went with 500/15 B.F. Goodrich Silvertowns with two inch white walls to wrap the front wheels with, and 890/15 Firestones with five inch white walls for the rears. To achieve that Hot Wheels character, he essentially went with the tallest and shortest setup he could find, simultaneously. Bigs and littles if you will.

Randy-Perez-1927-Ford-Model-T-Hot-Rod (5).jpg
    Randy-Perez-1927-Ford-Model-T-Hot-Rod (6).jpg

Wheels and tires are certainly not the extent of Randy’s work into this build. In addition, he has taken on maintenance like tidying up the engine space and rerunning the brake and fuel lines. On the custom side, he changed the steering wheel, and the front grill (which was originally a Model T example) and swapped it out for a grill off of a 1940 Case SC tractor. The entire car has been painted satin black, and all of the beautiful pin striping was done by Alex of Fremont and Zeke Jaggers. The pin striping itself is a roller coaster for the eyes, and is one of the best parts about the car, in our opinion.

Randy-Perez-1927-Ford-Model-T-Hot-Rod (7).jpg
    Randy-Perez-1927-Ford-Model-T-Hot-Rod (8).jpg

If you haven’t asked yourself this question already, we’ll ask it for you: Why not a V8? Well, it’s simple enough—not every car needs one. The Model T is fitted with a Chevy 250 out of a ’68 Camaro, mated to a 700 R 4 out of an ’86 Blazer. Randy’s preference of an inline six isn’t just for the sake of being different. Rather, it’s much simpler: the sound.

Randy-Perez-1927-Ford-Model-T-Hot-Rod (9).jpg
    Randy-Perez-1927-Ford-Model-T-Hot-Rod (10a).jpg Randy-Perez-1927-Ford-Model-T-Hot-Rod (10b).jpg Randy-Perez-1927-Ford-Model-T-Hot-Rod (10c).jpg
    Randy-Perez-1927-Ford-Model-T-Hot-Rod (11 ).jpg

“Only a six cylinder engine with headers can make that sound,” he explained. “We call it a rap. It’s a distinctive sound made when you rev up the engine or decelerate down a hill. V8s can’t do that.”

Randy-Perez-1927-Ford-Model-T-Hot-Rod (12).jpg

While Randy can’t call himself much of a Ford fan, he attests that this specific car is an exception (speaking outside of the obvious Chevy power plant, of course). As previously mentioned, this T’s extended 127” wheelbase appealed to him for the aggressive personality he was looking for in his own hot rod. Those who are familiar with the style elements of traditional hot rods may notice the personal flair boasted by this build. Many of these cues come from Randy’s long history in the lowrider community. He has owned many over the years, inclusive to the present, and wanted to transfer some of those style points to a hot rod for a truly unique car.

Randy-Perez-1927-Ford-Model-T-Hot-Rod (13).jpg
    Randy-Perez-1927-Ford-Model-T-Hot-Rod (14a).jpg Randy-Perez-1927-Ford-Model-T-Hot-Rod (14b).jpg Randy-Perez-1927-Ford-Model-T-Hot-Rod (14c).jpg
    Randy-Perez-1927-Ford-Model-T-Hot-Rod (15).jpg

“The red artillery wheels with beauty rings and white walls, the really low stance, the raccoon tail on the long antenna, the Corona accents, the pin striping—these are all subtle queues that you’d normally find in a lowrider or bomb style car.”

Randy-Perez-1927-Ford-Model-T-Hot-Rod (16).jpg

The wonderful part of all of this, in addition to the uniqueness and passion put into the car, is the fact that Randy truly lives and breathes custom cars. There is no element left untouched when it comes to his builds, even if it means giving a light touch up to what’s already there. He demonstrates the ability to dream up incredible looking cars, and exercises control and coordination in bringing them to life. An extensive amount of research goes into every project he takes on. More so, he is akin to an artist who is struck with his masterpiece of a concept.

Randy-Perez-1927-Ford-Model-T-Hot-Rod (17).jpg

“I like to buy nice cars and make them nicer, versus building a car completely from scratch. I can build one from scratch, but would rather find the right canvas and turn that into my vision.” There isn’t an unintentional part of his work to be found.

Randy-Perez-1927-Ford-Model-T-Hot-Rod (18).jpg
    “Cars have always been my life,” he said. He reminisced on his days of youth, when he absolutely couldn’t wait to get behind the wheel. He built custom bicycles and model cars. He worked hard in school and got a job at a machine shop, where he remained for ten years. He ultimately decided to pursue a career with the fire department, but don’t misunderstand this: his love of cars never faltered. He achieved automotive-life homeostasis in this way.

Randy-Perez-1927-Ford-Model-T-Hot-Rod (19).jpg

“The fire service schedule allowed me 20 days a month to work on my cars. I retired from the San Jose Fire Department after 28 years of service. It’s the reason I had the career I did, the home I own, and the woman I married. It all supports my passion.”

Randy-Perez-1927-Ford-Model-T-Hot-Rod (20).jpg

So, there you have it: the first of many upcoming stories with Randy and his collection of beautiful, custom cars. To round this off, Randy would like to thank his wife, Maddy, for “always supporting me in all of my crazy endeavors.”​

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  7. Here's some pics of Randy (@randingo8) Perez' 1955 Airstream Bubble towed by his 1955 Hudson Rambler Wagon:

Randy Perez - 1955 Airstream Bubble (4).jpg
    Randy Perez - 1955 Airstream Bubble (2).jpg
    Randy Perez - 1955 Airstream Bubble (3).jpg
    Randy Perez - 1955 Airstream Bubble (1).jpg
    photographer(s) unknown

8. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

RIP

Stogy likes this.
  9. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Wow he really had a great passion for cars. Sounds like a great guy too. Condolences to his family and friends. Rest in Peace Randy.

OG lil E and Stogy like this.
  10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Randy was a powerful force, and a fixture in the Bay Area scene.

In my many years of working with, and just hanging out with members of the Style Kings, Randy was always there, friendly and welcoming.

He was one of the most solid and genuine individuals that I have ever had the pleasure to meet.

He will be deeply missed, and by everyone who ever met him.

kidcampbell71, LBCD, OG lil E and 3 others like this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Condolences to the Perez Family and Friends on the passing of Randy. What a gifted man he was...I did feature his Hotrod Roadster in the Homogenized thread some time ago and didn't connect to his being a Hamber which is not uncommon when finding material on the www.

Part of his legacy will be all the wild rides he orchestrated...into the mechanical genius they are.

Thanks @OG lil E, @HEMI32 and all the others sharing their thoughts and personal connections to Hamber @randingo8...May He Rest in Peace.

Regards,
    Stogy

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    stanlow69, OG lil E and HEMI32 like this.
  12. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Rest in Peace.

Stogy likes this.
  13. Randy's 1936 Dodge Weschester Suburban (a 50k mile survivor with original paint and 1 of 3 known to still exist) towing an un-restored vintage horse (err, I mean Indian motorcycle) trailer took home the "Mopar Award" at the 2013 Goodguy's West Coast Nats:

Randy Perez - '36 Dodge Weschester Suburban & vintage horse trailer @ '13 GGs WCNs (1).JPG
    Randy Perez - '36 Dodge Weschester Suburban & vintage horse trailer @ '13 GGs WCNs (2).JPG
    Randy Perez - '36 Dodge Weschester Suburban & vintage horse trailer @ '13 GGs WCNs (3).JPG

14. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

sad news. I didn't know him personally but knew his face and all the cool cars he had. if he kept them all over the years he could have had his own car show.

Stogy, OG lil E and HEMI32 like this.
  15. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

R.I.P. would have liked to know him , his club mate Rudy got me into zephyrs. Told my wife, I did know Randy just couldn’t put the name with face. Nice guy very nice cars. To old CRS .

Sancho, stanlow69, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  16. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

RIP Randy. Condolences to your family

17. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

18. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

So young...RIP.

Stogy, 49ratfink and OG lil E like this.
  19. My sympathies to the family and friends. RIP.

Stogy likes this.
  20. Circa 2004, Randy built this Hudson pickup ... it ended up in @Marcy Molkenthen's Texas garage:

Randy Perez - Hudson PU (1).jpg
    Randy Perez - Hudson PU (2).jpg
    Randy Perez - Hudson PU (3).jpg

21. Randy's love of old cars & trucks spilled over to his career as a Fire Engineer in the SJFD:

FE Randy Perez SJFD (1).jpg

FE Randy Perez SJFD (2).jpg

FE Randy Perez SJFD (4).jpg

FE Randy Perez SJFD (3).jpg

FE Randy Perez SJFD (5).jpg

... and here's a few pics of Randy "on the job":

FE Randy Perez SJFD (6).jpg

FE Randy Perez SJFD (7).jpg

FE Randy Perez SJFD (8).jpg

22. RIP.

Stogy likes this.
  23. hemimerc

hemimerc

I had the pleasure of meeting randy at the 2018 DelMar good guys I was in my 36 dodge truck and he drove his 36 dodge woody . We immediately gave each other a thumbs up and hooked up for a talk about our rides. Although I only spoke to him once I new he was a stand up guy who you would be lucky to call a friend. Rest In Peace brother my condolences go out to his wife and family. God bless you all..Mike

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. RIP....

Stogy and 49ratfink like this.
  25. 64dropptop

64dropptop
    from union city

26. Here's a goodguys logo.png / fuel curve logo.jpg article about Randy's Studebaker Pickup:

Randy Perez - 1949-Studebaker-2-R5-Pickup (1).jpg
    EL RUSTO NATURAL – RANDY PEREZ’S 1949 STUDEBAKER 2-R5 PICKUP
    June 29, 2018
    by Courtney Cutchen

If patina is nature’s artistic medium, Randy’s 1949 Studebaker 2-R5 Pickup is a canvas on which lives a masterpiece. If you recall the last time we visited Randy, it was to place a spotlight on his Model T hot rod. This time, we’re driving down another avenue of popular classics, and focusing on the most inherently American vehicle there is: the pickup truck.

Randy Perez - 1949-Studebaker-2-R5-Pickup (2).jpg

Studebaker is a name that is rich in history, yet ultimately rather tragic. It began its manufacturing career in February of 1852, operating as a small blacksmith shop. Though it made its debut in the world as a wagon builder, it went on to produce everything from economy cars and sport coupes, to COE business haulers, to military vehicles during World War II. The vehicle manufacturer eventually built its success in gas-powered vehicle sales, landing a spot as the third largest American auto manufacturer at one point. Sadly, we all know now that Studebaker met its fate after faltering until the late 1960s, when it finally closed its doors for good.

Randy Perez - 1949-Studebaker-2-R5-Pickup (3).jpg
    Randy Perez - 1949-Studebaker-2-R5-Pickup (4a).jpg Randy Perez - 1949-Studebaker-2-R5-Pickup (4b).jpg
    Randy Perez - 1949-Studebaker-2-R5-Pickup (5).jpg

While Studebaker itself may be long gone, a small but dedicated community of fanatics still exists. Randy, having owned three Studebakers over the years, is one of them. He first encountered this 1949 Studebaker 2-R5 Pickup back in 2013 at a DeadEnd Magazine cruise night, where he bumped into his friend who owned it. Joe, the truck’s previous owner had just finished it and was enjoying the fruits of his labor. Randy happened to be smitten immediately and told Joe that if the truck was ever sold, it had to be to him. One short year later, that request turned into reality, when Randy once again found his friend at another cruise night.

Randy Perez - 1949-Studebaker-2-R5-Pickup (6a).jpg Randy Perez - 1949-Studebaker-2-R5-Pickup (6b).jpg Randy Perez - 1949-Studebaker-2-R5-Pickup (6c).jpg
    Randy Perez - 1949-Studebaker-2-R5-Pickup (7).jpg

The truck you see here has been carefully crafted with a whole lot of cosmetic TLC from worldly elements, aside from the pin striping. It was originally found neglected, left to die mothballed in a field. That said, it’s pretty obvious where the moniker El Rusto Natural comes from, and why it makes so much sense.

Randy Perez - 1949-Studebaker-2-R5-Pickup (8).jpg

“I have always liked the patina look on old cars—long before it got to be as popular as it is now,” Randy explained. The trend of “forced” patina, or faux patina, seems to be growing, but it will never replace what true patina looks like. This truck however, looks as though it got special treatment from the weather. There is just the right amount of roughness and texture in all the right places—scratches, scrapes, small cracks here and there, heavily textured surface patina, and swirling patterns come together to create a beautiful landscape.

“It took Mother Nature 69 years to create this finish; you can’t replicate that” Randy said. The other interesting fact here is that out of all of Randy’s cars (most of which are restored or in great cosmetic shape), the Studebaker gets the most attention because of its patina.

Randy Perez - 1949-Studebaker-2-R5-Pickup (9).jpg

“I wish I had a nickel for every time someone asked me, ‘Is it finished?’ or, ‘What color are you going to paint it?’”

Randy Perez - 1949-Studebaker-2-R5-Pickup (10).jpg

The eventual goal for this truck is to be cross-country ready so that Randy can take it on rallies and enjoy it all over America. The pickup is outfitted with Chevy running gear, all coming from a 1976 Camaro donor. Powered by a 350c.i. V8 paired with an auto trans, it has the perfect balance of reliability and classic lines. The 15” wheels are wrapped in Coker Classic White Walls, and the early 70s spider caps with three-hole knockoffs really tie the look together. (Hint: the holes match the steering wheel perfectly.)

Randy Perez - 1949-Studebaker-2-R5-Pickup (11).jpg

The body itself is entirely stock but is decorated with a 1990s Chevy CK truck front bumper, and a rear bumper from a 1970 Chevy. Randy had that bumper narrowed to 14 inches to better fit the Studebaker, and it flows wonderfully with the chassis. The exhaust has also been rerouted to its custom location as a center exit at the back of the truck, accompanied by the made-from-scratch trailer hitch. (Randy has both a Studebaker bed trailer and a ’55 Airstream “Bubble” travel trailer that he tows.)

Randy Perez - 1949-Studebaker-2-R5-Pickup (12).jpg

Inside the cab, you’re met with a blast of clean lines, the perfect amount of “bling,” and an unexpected color wave of Aqua Green—a factory color option from Studebaker in the 1950s. A few details you’ll notice include the 10-inch, four spoke 70s Grant steering wheel, an eight ball shift knob, and a Kenwood stereo with 6×9 speakers. The bench seat came from an S10 pickup, and was reupholstered by Julian’s Upholstery in Anderson, CA. We appreciate the continuity here, as it also matches that Aqua Green color palette. Other small details like the cup holders (to which our first question was: “Are those exhaust tips?”), period-correct windshield mounted compass, and Stewart Warner wing gauges create a clean, well coordinated atmosphere inside. We absolutely love the juxtaposition of the restored, resto-modded interior against the natural, weather-worn exterior.

Randy Perez - 1949-Studebaker-2-R5-Pickup (13).jpg
    Randy Perez - 1949-Studebaker-2-R5-Pickup (14a).jpg Randy Perez - 1949-Studebaker-2-R5-Pickup (14b).jpg Randy Perez - 1949-Studebaker-2-R5-Pickup (14c).jpg
    Randy Perez - 1949-Studebaker-2-R5-Pickup (15).jpg

When it comes to trucks, Randy much prefers the designs from Studebaker over those of The Big Three. In his eyes, Studebaker was far ahead of their time when it came to styling. “To me, these Studebaker 2-R5 C cab pickups look like Chevy trucks that have been customized,” he pointed out. “The top looks chopped, the cab looks sectioned, the hood looks pancaked, the bed looks smoother, and the rear fenders look custom.” He certainly has a point here, as the truck does look like it’s been custom built. It seems that Studebaker was just that good at what they did.

Randy Perez - 1949-Studebaker-2-R5-Pickup (16).jpg

One last point that we need to touch on is the pin striping. It cannot be missed and it cannot be under-appreciated—it’s absolutely magnificent and is the crown jewel of the build. The majority of the striping was done by Tom Cat in Redding, CA, and is done in a classic 1950’s style. Even the little music notes found on the sides of the cab are correct to the era. The signage, such as the 51/50, the eight ball logos at the bed, and El Rusto Natural was done by Patrick Walstrip, also in Redding. What seems to work so well about all of the striping and signage is that it’s very obviously modern, but has been artfully “aged” and distressed to match the natural patina of the truck. This kind of work is an art form that can only be completed by someone with true talent.

Randy Perez - 1949-Studebaker-2-R5-Pickup (17).jpg
    Randy Perez - 1949-Studebaker-2-R5-Pickup (18).jpg
    Randy Perez - 1949-Studebaker-2-R5-Pickup (19).jpg

While the Studebaker community may be small, Randy enjoys it because everyone in it is wildly dedicated to it. The numbers pale in comparison to those of Chevy or Ford enthusiasts, but Randy says that the availability of aftermarket parts and accessories for the marque is surprisingly vast. The Chevy running gear is also an obvious convenience. This means that whether he’s towing his Airstream trailer for a weekend getaway, or cruising up, down, or out of the state, he’s bound to have a good time not worrying about whether or not he can perform a quick fix if necessary. So, enjoy the ride, Randy—we can’t wait to see this truck trek across the country.​

27. Squablow

Squablow

Sad to hear that. Didn't know him but recognize several of his builds posted above, a top notch builder.

kidcampbell71, OG lil E and Stogy like this.
  28. Here's a goodguys logo.png / fuel curve logo.jpg article about Randy's Packard 'Vert:

Randy-Perez-1936-Packard-120-Convertible (1).jpg
    GOOD BONES: RANDY PEREZ’S 1936 PACKARD 120 CONVERTIBLE COUPE
    October 9, 2018
    by Courtney Cutchen

That’s right, folks—we’re back with Randy (@randingo8) Perez for yet another round of classic car anecdotes from his collection of custom vehicles. This time, we’re spotlighting his gorgeous, purist-repelling 1936 Packard 120 Convertible Coupe. If you have been following our chapters from Randy’s private collection, the character and unique qualities of this car should come as no surprise to you. Before we dig into this specific car, we chatted with Randy briefly about the history behind the Packard name, what it meant back then, and what it means now.

Randy-Perez-1936-Packard-120-Convertible (2).jpg

“Ask the Man Who Owns One” was the catchy slogan that the manufacturer adopted over 100 years ago. While it sounds a bit mysterious and definitely exclusive, it rang true—especially in its heyday.

Randy-Perez-1936-Packard-120-Convertible (3).jpg

“In the height of the Depression,” Randy stated, “you were someone if you could afford this car!” He went on to talk about the more common Packard customers: doctors, successful attorneys, ball players, and celebrities. Considered to be the Rolls Royce of America, Packard had procured for itself a wildly respected presence in the world of luxury automobiles. To own a Packard, Randy pointed out: “You were not just rich. You were wealthy.”

[ Randy-Perez-1936-Packard-120-Convertible (4).jpg
    Randy-Perez-1936-Packard-120-Convertible (5a).jpg Randy-Perez-1936-Packard-120-Convertible (5b).jpg Randy-Perez-1936-Packard-120-Convertible (5c).jpg Randy-Perez-1936-Packard-120-Convertible (5d).jpg

With that in mind, it’s easy to see why Packards are still such a big deal in today’s automotive world. We are seeing an incredible rise in value and general interest in classic and vintage vehicles as the years go by. Anything that is of such prestige, quality, and reverence as a Packard is truly a gem in the eyes of collectors and history buffs. Obviously, Randy agrees with this sentiment, but is unfazed by the “preservation for profit” mentality that some owners have boasted. Randy has taken this coupe and made it all his own, just as he does with every other vehicle he adds to his list.

Randy-Perez-1936-Packard-120-Convertible (6).jpg

Back in August of 2005, Randy bought a perfectly stock, overly restored Packard from a collector in South Carolina. “It was common in the ‘80s to over restore cars,” Randy explained during our shoot. “People were going for points in the concours circles. But because of that high level of restoration, the quality and craftsmanship have aged well.” The restoration of this car in particular was done properly, using the correct paint and materials to help the oldie from the ‘30s live on. In addition, this Packard was fully optioned with features like dual side mount spare tires, a trunk rack, radio, banjo steering wheel, clock, and rumble seat.

Randy-Perez-1936-Packard-120-Convertible (7).jpg

From 2005 to now, things have certainly changed. Randy is a hot rod and low rider enthusiast to the core, so naturally he had to give the 120 a little bit of a spin from his favorite genres of car culture. He installed the front hydraulic suspension to help eliminate some of that colossal, stock wheel gap, and it has completely changed the dynamic of the car. It now has the ability to lay quite low, which is something we never would expect to see in a Packard.

Randy-Perez-1936-Packard-120-Convertible (8).jpg
    Randy-Perez-1936-Packard-120-Convertible (9a).jpg Randy-Perez-1936-Packard-120-Convertible (9b).jpg Randy-Perez-1936-Packard-120-Convertible (9c).jpg
    Randy-Perez-1936-Packard-120-Convertible (10).jpg

In addition to the suspension modification, Randy also opted for a full set (including spares) of Packard artillery wheels, sporting fresh 500-16 B.F. Goodrich tires from Coker Tire. Randy explained that these wheels are so hard to find that he actually bought another Packard, took its wheels off, and sold it on a different set. The remaining two wheels popped up at different swap meets. The crisp, white walls combined with those wheels complement the color and profile of the Packard so beautifully that we’d say it was worth all the trouble.

Randy-Perez-1936-Packard-120-Convertible (11a).jpg Randy-Perez-1936-Packard-120-Convertible (11b).jpg
    Randy-Perez-1936-Packard-120-Convertible (12).jpg

What would a Packard be without its rare accessories? Randy has tediously collected a breadth of pieces to complete the car, some of which include the Appleton fog lights, Packard passing lamp, front bumper guards, license plate toppers, bakelite suicide knob and shift knob, headlight visors complete with high beam indicators, and a foot rest for the passengers in the rumble seat. (Bonus: it’s got a wolf whistle, too.)

Randy-Perez-1936-Packard-120-Convertible (13).jpg

All of these individual bits and pieces comprise a wonderfully big picture, and for Randy, that’s half of the fun. The search and the success of acquiring those rare, sometimes obscure parts and accessories is very rewarding, and makes the car all the more special. Add in his other custom touches—suspension, signature raccoon tail, and wheel/tire combo—and he’s left with a car that is truly him.

Randy-Perez-1936-Packard-120-Convertible (14).jpg
    Randy-Perez-1936-Packard-120-Convertible (15a).jpg Randy-Perez-1936-Packard-120-Convertible (15b).jpg Randy-Perez-1936-Packard-120-Convertible (15c).jpg

“I’ve always liked Packards,” he said. “Approximately nine months before buying this car, I bought a ’36 Packard 120 Three Window Business Coupe.” The Packard bug has been with Randy for many years, and it’s great to see him enjoying his build to the fullest. He says it is definitely a “forever car,” which he never intends to let go of. He also pointed out that he had to sell three restored Chevy’s to buy it, so we don’t blame him. Never throw in the towel on this one.

Randy-Perez-1936-Packard-120-Convertible (16).jpg
    Randy-Perez-1936-Packard-120-Convertible (17).jpg

In 13 years of ownership, Randy has only grown to love his 120 more. This is the kind of love that we just can’t get enough of. A true appreciation for what you have built is what we’re all after, and we should take note of it from builders like Randy. He likens the driving experience and quality of his Packard to driving a luxury vehicle from the 1970s—“It’s smooth, powerful, quiet, effortless, and easy to drive. After more than a decade of driving it, I can see why Packard was so confident. Ask me, I’ll tell you. It’s a great car!”​

29. Rest in peace my friend. Way to young to go.

OG lil E and Stogy like this.