Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Turn Signal Issues

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mudbog42, Apr 28, 2019.

1. mudbog42

mudbog42

Hello everyone,

I am working on my 1960 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88 and getting everything working again. The problem is when I turn on the right turn signal, the dash lights blink along with it. The left side does not cause the dash lights to blink. However, when the headlights are on, the blinkers do not work at all. Does anyone know what could be causing this? Another note, I am still on the hunt for the front turn signal/parking lights so they are not installed on the car. Would not having these installed cause the symptoms described above?

Thanks for any help or insight to the problem!

2. sunbeam

sunbeam

Bad ground in dash.

Truck64, Bandit Billy and olscrounger like this.
  3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. squirrel

squirrel

if the light sockets are not grounded, it will do that. You don't have the light sockets grounded, do you? since they're not installed.

There could be some other problems, too...usually several things are wrong with turn signals in 60 year old cars

5. mudbog42

mudbog42

No, there are no park light/blinkers installed on the front so no sockets are connected to those wires.

Also noticed the left side works with the lights on but the right just goes solid and doesn’t blink.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. squirrel

squirrel

After everything is put together, all the sockets for the turn signal and park and tail lights are installed, see what it does.

If you still have problems, first thing is to check for connectivity on the ground side of ALL light bulbs. Then if you still can't get it working, post the symptoms. Pay attention to how bright the bulbs are, sometimes a poor ground will result in the park/tail filament lighting up, not the turn/stop filament. They draw different amounts of current, and not drawing enough current will cause the light to stay lit, and not blink, because of how flasher cans work.

7. Maybe check over the factory schematic for the turn signals; my kids '59 98 has some strange circuitry involved with signals and dash indicators.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. mudbog42

mudbog42

Well I started going over my wiring and checking grounds/light sockets since I recently rewired the car, then noticed the flasher was getting hot. So I swapped it out with one I had in toolbox and everything seems to be working better actually. Before the flash rate was a bit slow. Now it blinks evenly on both sides with or without the headlights on and no more dash lights blinking either. Not sure how or why the flasher would've caused those issues but hopefully everything continues to work now. Thank you everybody for all the suggestions and help!