Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects BACK AT IT FINALLY!! RE-BUILD OF AN EARLY CHEVY COUPE WITH A HEMI

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 31chevymike, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...Albeit brief its nice to see you working with some breathing room...you had a pretty tight shop not too long ago...I remember. This is the Moving Appetizer...Multi Carb Hotrod...Good Stuff

2. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Yes, Steve, it's great to have more room, although Greg has me parked in another tight spot, because of other customer's cars. Tomorrow, hope to be parked at one of his lifts so we can lift the body off if necessary, brings me closer to the garage door where I need to be when the coupe leaves this Monday the latest.

3. good luck with the move, and keep rolling with the project when ya get situated in the new place

loudbang, Stogy, 31chevymike and 2 others like this.
  4. 2nd that! Be safe in your travels, and let us know you made it ok!

5. 31chevymike

31chevymike

With only a few hours till Greg takes off to enjoy his day off in the shop this am, I ended up grinding off the front round stock bar that held my temporary ladder bars in place. Also had to grind off the ladder bar mounts on the rear so this time, they are in the correct location so I could make adjustments to center the rear slicks in the wheel wells. Tomorrow, we will make another temporary front ladder bar cross member. In time after cutting my firewall and moving it back another 2-1/2 inches, the hemi then can be mocked up properly. From there, I can proceed with knowing where the x-member, trans mount and the actual length of the new ladder bars that need to be welded in. More pics to follow...

20190428_121107.jpg 20190428_121124.jpg 20190428_121140.jpg

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    swade41, PBRmeASAP, loudbang and 5 others like this.
  6. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Thanks a lot Jeff and Mike, my only concern so far is all the f"'king rain the weather channel shows throughout Texas. Wish I could cover the body with a tarp of some sorts, knowing it'll rip off at some point. Once I get through Texas, the rain will disappear and sunny skies from then on until we arrive in Mesa, Arizona on May 4th or 5th!

7. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

What brand of slick and chrome wheels? What’s the dims on the slick? I would like to get a set of chrome wheels and have some towel city slicks out back when I want to roll around town...

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

8. 31chevymike

31chevymike

These are BIG Radir/Mickey Thompson slicks, as they are 10" wide for a 15" rim. Not sure on the height though Fitness, but they are tall. Wheels are OE Wheel Vintiques chrome reverse. Never cared for the "universal pattern" chrome reverse - spot on 5 lug wheels are the best choice. In any case, make sure your slicks are "cheaters" so your local police cannot bust your chops. In my mind, running slicks can be the crowning touch to any nostalgia hot rod!!!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  9. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Here's some photos on my trip to our new home in Mesa, Arizona that I'm sharing with my bro Scott.

We've made it to Houston, Texas so far. With my coupe out in the open and roads in a few of the states are under construction, it's been crazy to say the least. Thank God the front and rear has been chained down, otherwise some of the SEVERELY bumpy roads seem like the coupe might have bounced right off the trailer! Kidding of course, but it caused me to swear alot...

I have the lower half (4 pieces) of brand new wood custom fitted for the door pillars, but not the upper half. Brent will send me these two pieces later. So obviously I could not hang my doors. When the new wood is installed, I'll finally get to cut my firewall, installing from the inside and will weld it in.

Tomorrow morning, my bro and I will shoot to get out of Texas and head into New Mexico...

20190502_170631.jpeg 20190502_170528.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G975U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. greaser

greaser

Bet you get lots of "thumbs up" towing that beauty.

11. 31chevymike

31chevymike

None that I can see Greaser, although most of the tractor trailers were slowing down to get an unusual circumstance look over. There was a rare '58 Chevy wagon that showed his approval. Gotta admit, seeing that classic wagon instantly reminded me of my dad's '58 Chevy NOMAD!

We'ew trying to get out of Texas, as the rain has been extremely heavy at times, as in our current location in Sonora, at this gas stop shown.

View attachment 4272420 20190503_170155.jpeg

12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The weather forecast is on the Coupe...:(...Oil it down when you get to where your going...

13. Did the rumble lid stay open like that during the drive ?

14. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Gotta a GREAT chuckle from your post Steve. I'm hoping I can use a chemical rust remover that's simple to use without using my mini orbital grinder. Don't want to mar that beautiful chromed front end either.

More pics from the incredible view of the endless miles of mountains in Texas. God my brother and I can't wait to get out of this friggin' state... 20190503_195245.jpeg 20190503_194951.jpeg 20190503_194916.jpeg

15. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Yes it did. Should have bungie cord it BEFORE I left. Don't you worry - I treated the then new in '96 oak wood floor with stain and Thompsons Water Seal. I'll do the same with my new wood door pillars as well. The custom made steel floor pieces are REAL thick and sealed with POR -15. Back then, NO ONE reproduced these floor pans. This body is tough and will clean up the surface rust soon enough in it's new garage in Mesa, Arizona. Believe me, I WANTED a sunny ride for the entire trip. Once we leave Texas, should be sunny all the way to our new home. I gonna show these Arizonians a great nostalgia hot rod when the day arrives!!!!

16. Safe travels you guys!

17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@31chevymike...As much as you want to get out of Texas the scenery is quite stunning especially when there's a hotrod in the forefront...:D

18. 31chevymike

31chevymike

We've arrived in Mesa - just after 8pm. First thing in the am, we drop off my hot rod at Public Storage. Con the AAA driver to help me take out my hemi from the rental truck. Then we move in to our new pad. Some photos to check out:

20190504_165909.jpeg 20190504_161400.jpeg 20190504_161901.jpeg

19. Just curious as to the route you took. I think I wud have been tempted to take I-10 from FL straight across to Tucson, then north to Phoenix and then east on the Superstition Freeway and then north on Country Club to Main St. in Mesa. The last time I was there, about 4 years ago, I took I-20 from 'Bama through TX to I-10 and Tucson and then north to Phoenix. I-20 was a mess in the Southeast and didn't get any better in West TX. It really made a statement about improving some infrastructure. At that time, they were putting in the light rail into Mesa and Main St. was a mess, too. Glad you made it safe and sound to Mesa. I lived there for a while during the '70s. It was a great place to live. The East Valley is really booming these days, though.

20. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

What made you pick Mesa? Work thing or just wanted to be in the desert?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

31chevymike and loudbang like this.
  21. brady1929

brady1929

Welcome to Arizona. I hope you know how hot it gets here in the summer. Stay hydrated and nice hot rod .

22. It's a dry heat....;)

31chevymike and loudbang like this.
  23. catdad49

catdad49

This has been quite a trip, thanks for taking us along! It a wonder you didn't pick up any hitchers along the way, hope to see you back on the build soon.

24. 31chevymike

31chevymike

You are correct - we took I-10 all the way from Florida. Rest assured, another move like the one we had, likely won't happen again. Roads were terrible in some states like Louisiana and Texas.

loudbang likes this.
  25. I'm glad that, even though your trip was bumpy, you arrived at your destination none the worse for wear. I'm hopeful, too, that you've found a home in AZ. There's lots of nice folks, lots of hot rodders, and some really good hot rod shops in that area. Perhaps some infrastructure, particularly those interstate highways, will get some attention in the future as they sure need it. Be sure to keep us clued in, once you get settled, as the coupe comes together.

loudbang likes this.
  26. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Did our research on the net and wanted to be closer to our third brother in Seattle, WA. Also, I can check out the traditional hot rod culture in California.

loudbang and Fitnessguy like this.
  27. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Thanks, are you living in AZ? From the phone app, doesn't show much. Need to find out where the hot rod meets, cruise nights are in Mesa, other cities, etc.

loudbang likes this.
  28. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Yesterday, my bro and I settled my hot rod in it's new, temporary home. This morning, we move in. Short on cash from the close to $1,000 for fuel for the truck mostly (10-12 mpg) and my Toyota Solara. Waiting for my apartment complex to have an enclosed garage available - hoping it supplies electricity so I can continue my build.

29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a vision of 2 distinct valleys in the desert sand after firing up 'HemiChevy'...it's Coming...;)...glad your at your new stomping grounds intact...yeah empty pockets...but intact.

30. You'll want to check out SoCal AZ. They're on E. McDowell. Heading to Phoenix from Mesa, they'll be on your left. They're friendly, knowledgeable folks. They also do a "Second Saturday" cars and coffee/donuts, swap meet, cruise-in starting at 6am. So, there shud be one coming up in four days. There's another cruise-in occurring on Saturdays at the Pavillions in Scottsdale. It's off of Scottsdale Rd. and starts about 4pm. I'm sure the folks you meet at these two events can advise you on other hot rod events that are occurring in the area.

31chevymike, loudbang and Stogy like this.