Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How low can you go

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rereaves, Apr 8, 2019.

1. clem

clem

8” works for me !
    But then I never understood the type of car that you are aiming for.

2. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

5" shouldn't be an issue especially if your local roads are decent. Know where trouble areas are and drive accordingly. Figure most of your Hot Rod driving will be during daylight hours on familiar local streets which cuts down on 'surprises'.
    Keep in mind that your Model A is a short wheelbase so that helps keep you from getting high centered on a steep driveway to street transition where a long wheelbase car (with front and rear overhangs) becomes an issue.
    I daily a lowered 1/2 ton pickup at 6" without any issues. As was mentioned, many new cars are really low on ground clearance.
    Nice looking Model A, keep at it!

3. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Found a pix of the "hidden" wheelie bar wheels on my truck's 4-bars. The wheels are at the top, outside part of the photo and mounted by using XL bolts for the lower bars. You can't see them without really getting down to the ground for a peek. The chassis was new back then - sure wish it looked that good now - after 36K+ miles. Gary
    DSC09108.JPG

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  4. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

^^^^ Whew! That looks pretty darn precarious, with a foot of cribbing teetering between the lift arms and frame.

5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I’ve often wondered how people get some of these cars on two post lifts. I think lift manufacturers sell a tower of sorts that bolts to the arms for this sort of thing but I can’t recall what they are called to find a photo

6. wvenfield

wvenfield

I love low but one warning. I had an OT vehicle that was pretty low. One day I hit a dead raccoon. Bent the crap out of the shifter linkage. Fur and crap all over. Watch for the road debris.

7. Before I had my license I had a '47 Chevy that was half mine and half my Mom's. I wanted it LOW so I took the front springs out. NASTY rake! Boy was it cool. Mom almost killed herself when she hit a dip in the road at full speed. I told her she should have known not to fly over bumps in a lowered car! Stupid woman!

8. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

My front axle is 5.5" off the ground..Sorta funny I ran over a squirrel once cause he was running down the middle of the road; I thought he jumped off the road but when I looked in the mirror he was standing up, in the middle of the road, rubbing his head.....