Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical I know there is no such thing as a mechinic in the can

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, Apr 28, 2019.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

But is there anything I can add to the oil to keep a 235 going that has a problem with the crank bearings,something went wrong after the rebuild and need to keep it going until the fall when I can put the replacement 235 in. Is this the time that those products with the teflon would help if even made any more,had it out yesterday and its getting more noticable and maybe time to go back to the thick oil.

2. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

If I remember when we had our 235 rebuilt years ago to get the correct clearance shims had to be used.
    Oil additives I don't think would be a good idea, running it would just cause more damage.(My 2c).

Sent from my Bell Candlestick

3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

No way! Starter fluid won't fix a starters?

302GMC and Truck64 like this.
  4. Phttt I am a mechanic and I was in the can not 20 minutes ago.

I have used Caseite Motor Honey with good success to limp one home. It is a stop gap measure and not a solution to the overall problem.

5. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ Canned beans. ;)

GordonC and Deuces like this.
  6. upspirate

upspirate

What is the problem? Knocking? Oil pressure?

7. theboss20

theboss20

Oh...it fixes them alright...never to work again...lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Clay Belt likes this.
  8. theboss20

theboss20

Use a 30wt synthetic...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Clay Belt likes this.
  9. Is it knocking ?
    Burning?
    Low oil pressure?

Only stuff I have used that seems to help us luckas oil stabilizer

It’s only a band aid solution but it’s kept some turbo Diesel engines at my customer going for nearly 3 years !!

Montana1 and Hollywood-East like this.
  10. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

After I put in a T-5 and better gears I noticed the engine had a rattle,found out the rattle went away with #2 plug wire off so I dropped the pan. All the rod journals were scored and the bearings down to copper after only around 10,000 miles,since the damage was done it got new rod bearings and put back togather and used 20w50 oil since but last year put in 15w40 which helps it run better but I am hearing the bottom end start to make more noise. I did not check the mains but since I do hear a main knock now and then I presume they are toast too but I am trying to put off the engine replacement until fall if I can get it to hang on long enough and definately not going to take it on long trips and stay local,not looking forward to changing the engine since the whole front clip will have to come off.

11. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Looked like the crank was starved for oil and it was prelubed before being fired up,I am thinking the bypass oil filter did not have a restriction so its being eliminated for now. I think its going to get some 40# non detergent oil and some oil stabilizer for now.

12. The first year I was on the HAMB we put 4 motors in the Raven's AD truck. All of them professionally rebuilt. We finally put a dirty crusty old junkyard motor in it and he ran it for about 7 years (daily and without being nice to it).

tractorguy and raven like this.
  13. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Another vote for Lucas. I run it in everything I have from the lawnmower to the Detroit Diesel semi truck engine. I've never had an oil related failure while running Lucas. I've had semi truck diesels that used a gallon of oil a week, started using Lucas, and it dropped to a gallon or less a month. Change your oil and use a quart of Lucas in the place of a quart of oil, if it still uses, go up to as much as 50%.

Montana1 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  14. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Jeff, you're only wasting money. You already know it's 5 minutes away from exploding if you run it ...

Clay Belt and 54EARL like this.
  15. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have better luck with used engines and have one almost ready to go in.

Clay Belt likes this.
  16. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I picked up some oil stabilizer from TSC and going to use the 15w40 oil I have in stock,took off the filter and the oil pressure climbs more rapidly and now pegs the gauge so I think I know what did the damage to the engine. Replacement 235 will not get a filter and will get the oil changed more frequently.

17. mopacltd

mopacltd

Just buy a can of NAPA Know How!:p:D

Truck64 likes this.
  18. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There's a few mechanics I had to get out of the "can" on Sunday morning after a pretty wild Saturday night. :rolleyes:

Clay Belt likes this.
  19. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I really do not think its going to stay togather until fall so I will have to get some stuff done and then get the new engine in,I do not want to put a rod through the side of the block since it can be saved so I will have to baby it until I can get to it.

20. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

The mechanic in the can at my house will make the first floor uninhabitable at times. :)

21. desotot

desotot

probably on a hot day the second floor as well ^^^^^^

Oldioron likes this.
  22. Just go buy some bar and chain oil . Its the same thing as Lucas and a lot cheaper

23. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Too late.

24. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I can tell its getting more oil without the filter,when I first got it on the road I could smell oil from the exhaust due to bad valve stem seals (engine sat over 10 years before being driven) which went away a few years later but I can smell it from the exhaust again.

25. Back in '63 I bought a thrashed '59 'Vette with an abused 283. At idle the oil pressure would drop to almost nothing. Put in a can of STP and the pressure came up to 30 psi at idle. Drove it for a while before doing a rebuild.

pitman likes this.
  26. williebill

williebill

Choffman beat me to it. MY old worn out 283 had no oil pressure when warm, always read 0, til I put in STP every couple of weeks. Then a hot day, stuck in traffic, and it'd read 15-20 all day long. Drove it for 2 years like that.

27. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

The only brand of truck I ever knew it to work on was a GMC . Got a Mechanic Comin ! Opps , I’m sorry . Lots of times cam bearings will make a good rebuild not seem so well . Oil pressure from bad clearances can’t be fixed in a can . Something to think about is my old Harley , from the manual states SAE 70 @ 50-75 * above 75* SAE 90 and it still rattles and leaks like a Maytag washing machine . The Harley has 0 oil pressure at idle , because it has roller bearings and a dry sump oil system .

28. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Last spring, a year ago, I decided to delve into the rod knock in my old tractor. Pulled the pan to find one spun rod bearing. Rod journal looked fine, until I measured it. Ten thou out of round. Pulling the crank means busting the whole tractor apart, not something I wanted, or am equipped to do in the woods where it lives. There are, or used to be, machines that would grind rod journals in place (anyone recall one?) but I couldn't find anyone still doing it. I just put in a new standard bearing and supplemented the oil with a bottle of the thick Lucas goop. Used it all last year, no rod knock, oil pressure gauge is in the green and still going this year. I do keep the revs down but surprising it's hanging in there.

VANDENPLAS and Montana1 like this.
  29. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Its not knocking yet but is getting a slightly louder deep rattle,the crank was just polished but should have been turned or replaced since it was 20 under to start with. I do get a main knock at start up some times so I can imagine the main journals are just as scored as the rods,I think it got starved for oil some how even though I prelubed it with a drill and had pressure on the gauge. The pressure came up after the oil filter was removed so I wonder if there is something wrong with it but too late now.

30. 327Eric

327Eric

I had a 60 chevy with a nova 6 that should not have run. I ran gear oil in it in a time of need, and she went a year, until the 3rd soul in need to own her dropped the 90 w, and put in 10w30. She went 15 feet and puked a rod. .