Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Question on a cowl steering detail...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by litemup66, Apr 26, 2019.

1. litemup66

litemup66

I've done multiple searches on the Googles and the HAMB and there's a detail with cowl steering that I seem to be missing.
    Using a Model A Sedan as an example:
    -If the steering box needs to be mounted to a brace that is welded to the frame, how do you put a body on a frame over the brace if the body has a floor?
    -Do you mount the body, fabricate the brace and then make the floor around the brace?
    -Or Can you make a stout brace inside the body that mounts with some heavy bolts to heavy brackets on the frame?
    That's the part of the puzzle I'm missing. I keep seeing Mopar cowl steering setups but I always seem to miss the photo where they have the car finished with the detail of the floor, brace and frame involved. I know there has to be loads of people here that have done it, that can show me the light. As always, I am grateful for your advice

2. Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  3. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Sprint cars have a modified 4 bar front end. It is a 3 bar. One bar only on the left side to eliminate the bind that a 4 bar will exhibit. So not really relevant to cowl steering with split bones. Cowl steering can be done if using a 4 bar front end.

4. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Yeah you don't want Pete Eastwood to show you the light. :D It will be dim or turned off.

5. How come it works for the Rolling Bones cars?

6. tombstone

tombstone
    from sk.canada

Or does it ?..

Andy likes this.
  7. BJR

BJR

Only one inch of suspension travel, that's how.

town sedan, gimpyshotrods and Andy like this.
  8. litemup66

litemup66

So I take it that I can make a bracket in the cowl and bolt it to heavy brackets on the frame?

9. Clark

Clark

Ha ha ha....and just like that cowl steering became taboo.

Make whatever bracing you need bolt directly to the frame. If the floor is sandwiched between the bracing and frame you're fine.

Tman and litemup66 like this.
  10. BJR

BJR

When everyone tells you it's a bad idea, and IT BUMP STEERS, why do you still want to do it?:eek:

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They aren't called The Friendly Suggestions of Physics.

Mr. Eastwood is correct, and the rest of you who disagree are wrong.

57 Fargo likes this.
  12. ukgav

ukgav

Cowl steering can work. Whilst I agree that the geometry is never going to be perfect I have put many miles on my car and just returned from a European road trip of close to 1000 miles on varying quality of roads with no issues. Not sure how easy it is to see in the picture but here is my set up. A solid frame is built into the cowl and a plate that carries the mount is attached to it. The mount the other end is bolted through the floor/firewall.
    There is a good tech article on the rolling bones set ups that we used ideas from here...
    https://www.hotrod.com/articles/1004sr-cowl-steering-setup/

[​IMG]Untitled by Gavin Meanley, on Flickr

litemup66 likes this.
  13. BJR

BJR

Just what you need in a cramped car...... A steering sector where your feet should be.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  14. ukgav

ukgav

The box and shaft are above the pedals and the toe board. Don't know how big your feet are but I don't know many people that drive a hot rod with their feet up on the firewall.

15. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Let it go..... There have already been post deleted... The thread will be next

16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Most I have seen have the subrail notched for the vertical support and then you hardly need to cut into the wood panel toe board to clear.

17. town sedan

town sedan

Yep, I read your missing post and it would probably still be there if you had omitted the 1st sentence.
    -Dave

18. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

You are correct...

town sedan likes this.