Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Why did they call it Eisen-glass?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lothiandon1940, Apr 26, 2019.

1. KenC

KenC

Yep, Visqueen was the brand name of an early plastic sheeting. Around here that became the 'kleenex' of the plastic world. No matter what the brand, it was called visqueen.

lurker mick and lothiandon1940 like this.
  2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

On the AACA site they tell me the old side curtains were made of celluloid. I think the public called them Isinglass because they were used to Isinglass windows in cast iron stoves. I know the old folks around here called both Isinglass. Now it seems neither of them was really made of Isinglass.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6:06 AM, my first cup of coffee and I find this thread. There must be something in here that caused me to read the whole thing but I'm damned if I know what it is. I thought maybe the "who invented electricity" question needed answering so I googled Carmen Electra. I need another cup of coffee.

4. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

h-hee.... Well at least You know you can Drink Guinness with out pissing off the vegan"Power's" above...

5. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wouldn't drink Guiness for any reason whatever. Budweiser gives me the same headache anywhere in the country. Stay with what you know;)

6. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

Literal German translation Eisen iron Glas Glass . Iron Glass or literally unbrakeable glass. That is my guess

7. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

When I was stationed "over there" some guys would stay hunkered down in the barracks and drink Busch Light. Could never understand that. Hefe Weissen was 8 bucks a case, @20 bottles - or 10 liters iirc. Damn good beer out of the tap, especially. I'm no beer snob but it is tasty stuff, and cheaper than the watered down rice stuff.

town sedan likes this.
  8. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Been in residential construction in the South since 1972 and that’s just what 6 mil plastic sheeting was called back in the day, didn’t matter the brand name. Not so anymore

alanp561 and lothiandon1940 like this.