Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need help with straight axle i.d.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Circa 62, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Circa 62

Circa 62

I'm hoping someone can help me i.d. this straight axle. The beam is 51" wide, springs are 28" apart and 35" long. The bolt pattern is 5 X 4 1/4", my 5 X 4 1/2" Rambler wheel is too big.

Attached Files:

Greenblade likes this.
  2. grimmfalcon138

grimmfalcon138
    from az

Possibly international harvester.

3. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

I'm thinking Willys wheels were a little smaller than 4.5" pcd, and also Chevy Standard wheels of the '30s (which are not 6-lug). I'll measure the ones I have Monday, unless someone that would know says I'm wrong.

4. Yeah, 1933 chevy "Mercury" series cars had a 4.25" bolt pattern.....looks like it to me.

302GMC likes this.

5. Both the axle and drums look very much like Terraplane.

6. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

I have some Terraplane wheels, which are kind of cool 'cause they are wire wheels, and are 4 lug, same bolt circle as Chevie Vega, and the various GM cars that are siblings of the Monza. Could be they had 5 lug wheels too, I don't know.

7. I have a '37 Terraplane axle.....it has the 5 on 4 1/2 bolt pattern. It looks nothing like the axle posted here.

8. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Dry brakes … that makes it a '33 -'35 Chev Standard ...

9. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

I measured my wheels, which I know are Chevy, and can confirm that they have a 4.25" bolt circle. They are "artillary" wheels, and are pretty cool looking.

Attached Files:

10. Circa 62

Circa 62

Thank you for the replies. I was hoping it would be easier to identify because of it's odd features. The 4.25 bolt pattern, hydraulic brakes and the bend in the beam. The yard where I found the axle has been in business for over 50 years and I looked at all the 30's cars and trucks I could find and they all had straight beams. This axle was in a pile of other axles that were straight as well.

11. Just a thought...A good auto parts store will have a brake buyers guide that has pictures of all the different shoes,and their demensions.If you bring two shoes,and look at the pictures for a match it should give some idea of what it all came out of.

12. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

The Tie Rod has Ford type ends on it....I wonder if this came out of a Ford truck in the 40's or 50's...