Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Disc brake issue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aerocolor, Apr 19, 2019.

1. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

Not me obviously.
    Never thought it would make a difference. It shouldn't preload under vacuum.

2. Hummmm?

3. BJR

BJR

Very strange.........o_O

4. gene-koning

gene-koning

New one on me! I wonder if the vacuum bleeding unseated the front brake pads (or the pistons in the calipers) enough they got a little cocked when pressure was applied. Manual bleeding would tend to seat the pads before the bleeder screw was released.
    Were the brakes originally vacuum bled before all the issues started? Gene

5. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

Switched from drum to disc then vacuum bled. Everything was fine with drums.
    Same lines and rear brakes were retained.

6. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

If it’s crazy, but it works, it isn’t crazy.

I can’t think of a failure mode for this one though. Somehow vacuum is moving something in the system in a way that pre-loads the brakes to lock when first applied? From the other posts, it sounds like it must be pulling the plunger forward in the m/c, in a way that it can’t fully return to rest.

A friend of mine swears by vacuum bleeding. I’ve tried it, never liked it. I use a check valve and a jar.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

X-cpe likes this.
  7. Master pedal travel has to be back to all the way open for fluid to dump back in if the pedal too low it won't work, add a strong return spring to be sure.

8. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

You know I have been turning wrench's for 50 + years and never use to have pain in the butt situations like this, But the last few years everything I seem to touch goes to hell in a hand bag ! lol Must be an old age thing. Glad everything worked out and thanks for letting me know I am not the only one saying "what the hell". Larry

9. You’d think a vacuum inside the system would be pulling everything in.

10. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Glad you found the found the problem causing you a receding hair condition. Two operations you didn't perform in above comments is 1) hold your tongue right (some times to the right or left or :p and 2) you did not lightly tap the calipers with a hammer.

Ralphies54 likes this.
  11. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Hey 41rodderz, that brought back an long ago memorie of my ol man, You could always tell if he was getting mad at whatever he was trying to fix, he would tuck his tongue in his cheek and reach for the biggest hammer he could find. Thanks for that memory Ralphie

12. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

Too funny.
    One thing you can always count on is working on old cars will keep you entertained.
    Still learning every time I touch one.