Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Anti Hot Rod & Muscle Car Enforcement by Wisconsin State Patrol

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blues4U, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Saw this in my facebook feed this afternoon, came over here and scanned the first couple of pages and did a search and didn't see anything, so I don't think it's already been posted.

According to the article, the Wisconsin State Patrol has recently changed it's interpretation of laws concerning fenderless and hoodless hot rods and certain other features, and have started issuing 10 day fix-it tickets.

For more, read the article: https://wisconsinhotrodradio.com/st...WziBhDnuZXl2AaKi575yruXHYgLwOFxvEFQQ505yRbQYg

BigO, lothiandon1940 and Hnstray like this.
  2. A Boner

A Boner

Saturday April 27 at 9:00 AM
    Wisconsinhotrodradio.com Streaming live

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  3. Now that one term Tony Evers is in charge anything can happen. Was the citation writing cops name bimbo by chance? The state patrol might find better use of their time catching the criminals running the endless supply of drugs coming out of chicago. I have alot of respect for our law enforcement community. Some guy at wsp must hate hot rods and forcing the patrol officers to enforce his wishes.

4. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Too dangerous

5. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

I agree! great respect for the law, and our officers. but theres plenty of things out there that need more attention than no fenders on a hotrod.

tofords, Chief 64, loudbang and 6 others like this.
  6. Wisconsin Specialty Vehicle Council and National Street Rod Association. Wisconsin State Patrol stated new legislation was required to change some of the 1990’s laws to conform to their new interpretations.

Well that’s some bullshit !
    There’s no misinterpretation,,, they are trying to enforce a new whim without making a new law

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From the Wisconsin vehicle equipment code.
    Trans 305.22 Fenders and projecting parts.
    (1) Every motor vehicle originally manufactured after January 1, 1950, every homemade vehicle registered after January 1, 1975, and every vehicle registered as a reconstructed vehicle after March 1, 1996 shall be equipped with adequate fenders covering the front and rear tires to prevent splashing of water and throwing of gravel, stones or other objects.
    (2) All fenders shall be free of severely rusted or damaged material which may cause injury or cause the fenders to be ineffective. All required fenders shall be of sufficient width and length to cover the tire tread from 15 degrees to the front to 60 degrees to the rear when measured at the center of the axle, to the top of the tire, on a vertical plane.
    (3) All fenders shall be securely mounted.
    (4) Fenders may be extended up to 4 inches beyond the original fender line or the manufacturer's optional equipment fender flare line in order to cover tires that also extend beyond the original fender or flare line.
    (5) No part of the vehicle or any vehicle accessory shall project away from the vehicle in a hazardous manner.
    History: Cr. Register, February, 1996, No. 482, eff. 3-1-96; correction of transcription error in (2) Register December 2010 No. 660.

That was from this http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/code/admin_code/trans/305/I/065

By that if you car is real deal steel, has the original title with original vin you are pretty well safe (legal wise) but if it was rebuilt and inspected as a rebuilt or assembled vehicle. all bets are off. Meaning the fiberglass highboys on repro rails are going to be in the market for fenders.

Squablow and XXL__ like this.
  8. Hate to see Wisconsin head down the California path.For years Wi has been very even handed with hot rods.Big government inventing problems to fix.

9. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

They officially amended the fender law in British Columbia where I am for the good in 2016. Pre 1940 traditional hot rods can run without fenders as long as it’s not pouring rain (or winter ) Was a long time BC old car association that lobbied the provincial government for several years that helped get it done. Funny enough it was our last Premier Christy Clark who helped push it through! Chicks dig hot rods

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

10. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Coming from a LE background, the law can't be interpreted any other way other than the way it is cited in the statutes. The authorities are stating that the law requires amendment, yet they are issuing violations for offences that may not actually exist (OEM steel cars as opposed to repo cars). The reality IMO is that violations can't be issued when statute law hasn't been broken. Because the law has been interpreted incorrectly doesn't justify those actions. An erroneous decision was made and the law interpreted incorrectly. Individuals could be issued violations for alleged infringements that may be legal! i.e. Individuals can't be prosecuted for offences that doesn't exist because someone in authority has taken umbrage with the law. Those in authority and charged with upholding and enforcing the law need to seek qualified legal advice before it was decided to enforce laws they interpreted incorrectly; because it seemed like a good thing to do doesn't wash here. Depending on the advise received, you may need to re/train those individuals enforcing the law, you'd think that they would be aware of the laws they enforce. Anyway, off my soapbox now. Hopefully the matter will be resolved with the Court relying on the 'actual law' and not some 'whimsical interpretation' of it. The real winners in this will be the [Defence] lawyer and then the driver ;). There are wider issues at stake, strategic revenue raising is an ongoing topic down here as well.

11. Somebody pissed off someone, or this wouldn't be a 'new' issue....

All it would take is one moron coming off a gravel road and not cleaning his tires then breaking a couple of 'citizen' windshields to get on the radar. These things very rarely germinate in a vacuum, somebody's squeak is being greased.

RusTnut, seadog, rd martin and 6 others like this.
  12. From what I can get out of it,,,,

Some asshat in mid level pseudo Government agency is against hot rods,,, forms whimsical interpretation
    Law enforcement is against his interpretation and giving out tickets for fenders.
    asshat says do it ,,,,
    LE says the Govt needs legislation
    LE says we will need to retrain
    Legislators said not making new laws because of whimsical interpretation and have it be open to interpretation again and again

You guys in WI need to show up in Dodgeville on May 2nd.

Take the day off, take a day trip, be there or go shopping for fenders

He has challenged the issuance of the citations and informed the court of his “not guilty” plea. He will appear in the Dodgeville court on May 2, 9am.

Other hot rodders from the area plan to attend. Any other interested parties are welcome to attend.

els, 46international, dan31 and 3 others like this.
  13. I agree!!!!

14. We here in pa. had a fender law on hot rods for many years. We were in a fight to have the law changed, and after years we got it. If your hot rod, 1948 and back is registered as a street rod and you run the SR plate, you are not required to have fenders. hood, or bumpers. We still have to have street rods inspected every year. I guess my point is STICK TOGETHER AND FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS.

els, Pinstriper40, zzford and 6 others like this.
  15. 19Fordy

19Fordy

It's all about government generating money.

16. They need money too for some real essential things they provide that we take for granted.
    That’s nice. They waste bunch of money too and that is some special kind of BS,,

Now check this out,,, they are giving out FIX it tickets. Generally there’s no fines or revenue generated from those. That sort of ties up LE time for no good reason other than to appease someone who’s complaining.

els, Dick Stevens, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  17. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

What about those stupid lifted 4x4’s flying a dirty ragged American flag?.....mud flap em

els, RusTnut, rd martin and 2 others like this.
  18. BJR

BJR

The 4x4 lifted guys would fall under the 15 degree front and 60 degree rear coverage part of the law. When lifted that much they don't have enough wheel coverage.

els, rd martin and nochop like this.
  19. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

The fender laws have been on the books forever. They have not been enforced in years, mostly because most cops have grown up in Wisconsin's massive Car and motorcycle heritage of the last 50 years . Unfortunitly times are changing, the people we have in charge are all about green space, bicycles, and gated communities. In their eyes hot rods are not cool. They change laws and regulations so fast you do not even know they did it. Sometimes those TV shows about living off the grid sound better all the time. Larry

els, midnightrider78, raven and 9 others like this.
  20. A Boner

A Boner

https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/code/admin_code/trans/305

^Read it for yourself.

Fenders aren't required for vehicles manufactured before 1950.

The replica title & street modified title section states that the year of the vehicle is determined by the year the body replicates......which is then listed on the title.

Reconstructed and homemade titles are determined by the year the new title was issued.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    els, Black_Sheep, mad mikey and 2 others like this.
  21. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Read trans 305.22 line one again in regards to home built after 1975 and reconstructed after 1996. Fenders are required and you will not pass state inspection to register a reconstructed project with out them. Any modified car or truck in the state is consider reconstructed by law. The fact that most of us buy cars with current titles and reregister them and then modify them and there for do not need to be inspected because it is already registered does not change the law. It has always been a gray line and has always depended on the officer you passed in your ride going , "hey that's cool" or " I get to be a prick today" . I use to get pulled over all the time in the early 70's for " its to loud , to high, or tires are to wide" all warning ,fix in 5 days , no fine tickets. In the last 35 years I have only been pulled over once for equipment violation, in my OT 67 pro street big block Camaro. I got a warning for no front plate and a "this thing is really cool" from the officer! Go figure :rolleyes: Larry

els, mgtstumpy and Deuces like this.
  22. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

Is this the kind of thing SEMA lobby can get envolved in???

els, mad mikey and Deuces like this.
  23. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Tell me about it. The more stupid people I have to deal with, the less I want to be around people.

24. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

It probably won't come as a big surprise, but fix it tickets in So Cal have come with fees attached for years. Plus, LE agencies are allowed to charge for their inspection and to sign off on the fix.

els, mad mikey and Deuces like this.
  25. Larry
    Could you post to this thread the Wisconsin State Statute or Administrative Code specifically stating "Any modified car or truck in the state is consider reconstructed by law."
    Thanks

Curt R

els, milwscruffy and Deuces like this.
  26. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Curt R. Sorry if my response took some liberty in its description. What I was referring to was Trans-305.065 and Trans-c-149 . If you take a 32 Ford and install a 350 Chevy, a turbo 350 and an 8" rear end, you have a modified or reconstructed auto. Or if you for instance take a 71 chevy truck and replace the rusty cab with a southern rust free doner you cannot change the vin from one cab to another . They should be inspected. I know for a fact that most are not, but that does not change the law. Many of the modifications we do everyday with parts we buy could be consider illegal by a state inspector base on his interpatation of the law. Most law inforcement and DOT employees will never question our cars or modifications. But I remember going through all the debate of Trans 305 in the 90's and trying to read it and understand it because I was building a lot of hot rods and restoration's for people. Always ended up with a lot more questions than answers and each inspector I dealt with on a few occasions seem to have a different opinion on one thing or another. Again sorry if my remarks where confusing. Larry

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    els and Deuces like this.
  27. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

I've had three windshields broken on the highway by gravel trucks or uncleaned trailers with 'dozers, never had one broken from a fenderless rod.

els, 34toddster, dan31 and 8 others like this.
  28. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

That's the problem with the way most laws are written. Instead of black and white, go or no go, most are somewhat gray and leave it up to the enforcement personnel, who, depending on the day, time, or what they had for breakfast that morning, may give you one interpretation one time and another the next time you ask. Persons X, Y, and Z may all have a different opinion when reading any statue that is written in such a manner, and all of them would be deemed right in court, even though they differed. I personally think it is putting too much dependance on the enforcers opinion and not enough on the actual law.

I put up with this shit all the time. One DOT officer will interpret the law one way, another one will see it different, so who the hell is right? They are, you are always wrong. Doesn't matter if you are right, you are always wrong according to them, and they have the gun and badge to enforce it on you. You comply with their wishes, or suffer the consequences.....

F-ONE, Kan Kustom, mad mikey and 3 others like this.