Register now to get rid of these ads!

What street/City did you cruise in High School?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 73super, Feb 5, 2010.

1. theman440

theman440
    from Las Vegas

Foothill Blvd in Monrovia Ca.

Mark Hinds likes this.
  2. doozcoupe

doozcoupe

Pine Grove Avenue in Port Huron, Michigan.....80's & 90's. Bumper to bumper from one end of town to the other.

3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[QUOTE="bchctybob, post: 10796445, member: 163534"
    We cruised Hawthorne Blvd from the Wich Stand to the A&W.
    I lived in Inglewood. Did this cruise from 1960-65. Real street racing was done on Imperial Hwy in El Segundo parallel to LAX.

4. 50 customcoupe

50 customcoupe

Main Street in Lebanon, Ky. in my '55 Chevy, the had a Hamburger Drive-in at each end of town with Car-hops.....

sidewayzz69 likes this.
  5. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My mom had a '75 Olds Delta 88 convertible, white on black and I would cruise it on N.Main in West Hartford, CT.

6. mrenfro

mrenfro
    from Kansas

7. lowrd

lowrd

Cruising in North Seattle was done at Dick's drive inn on Holman Road, or the one on Lake City Way, or the third one in the U District on the "Ave". Always the best was Zestos in Ballard on 15th by the High School. Lots of miles a night and free leftover burgers after 2AM.

8. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

When we were of cruising age, teenagers, we knew which places in our own neighborhood were the best. On the Westside of Long Beach , unless it was Saturday night, not much was going on except at Lions Dragstrip. But a couple of miles south, there was the only drive-in restaurant for miles around. That drew us in like a magnet. Many cool hot rods and cruisers from all over used to come and eat/sit for a while. It did not hurt that it was located on the main Coast Highway 1 or PCH 101 back then, between the South Bay and the rest of Long Beach.
    upload_2019-4-25_5-17-53.png
    The nice thing about Long Beach was that streets running West to East were usually “streets” (like 20th St., whereas, the North/South roads were usually “Avenues.” (Caspian Ave.) Of course, the big time roads were named Boulevards, Parkways or Drives. (Ocean Blvd). The two main Long Beach roads running North and South kept their names all the way North through Compton, Lynwood to South Gate. Atlantic Avenue kept going all the way to South Pasadena.

(Once after a Rose Bowl football game, all of the streets & freeways going South to Long Beach were packed. So, we drove East to Los Robles Avenue and that led us into Atlantic Ave. heading into Long Beach/Bixby Knolls area. ) If we had wanted to keep going South, we would have ended up near the Long Beach Pike Amusement Park and the ocean.
    upload_2019-4-25_5-18-47.png upload_2019-4-25_5-20-57.png
    Once we were out of our own neighborhood, it was a big circuit on Long Beach Blvd, to Ken’s Restaurant Drive In, to Hof’s Hut, on San Antonio Drive to Grissinger’s, then South on Cherry Avenue drags area, to Carson St. East to Lakewood Boulevard South to Hody’s, farther South on Pacific Coast Highway (101) to Belmont Shore’s 2nd St. for pizza. During Easter break (Spring Break back then) the trip down 101 Coast Highway to Newport Beach/Balboa and Laguna Beach was the key drive.
    upload_2019-4-25_5-22-37.png
    Once there at Merle’s Drive-In and with some race action, we came back to the longest, emptiest public road in So Cal. The Westminster Ave. Drags was a great place to try out your ride with or without open exhausts. Many races were held here. The only things to disturb were the fake housing that held bombs and torpedoes underground, after all, it was the Naval Ammunition Storage facility.

Then the trip back to our stomping grounds at Grissinger’s in Bixby Knolls was a swing through the east side of Long Beach into Lakewood at Oscar’s Drive-In. That was the hot bed of hot cars/customs from that area, plus the hamburgers were pretty outstanding.
    upload_2019-4-25_5-23-53.png John Fry
    The drive back to Bixby Knolls where most of our friends would be hanging out was uneventful except for the long empty stretches of road near a golf course and finally back to the Cherry Ave. Drags area, near a mausoleum -cemetery. That was the official Long Beach street dragstrip for most racers in the area. It was well known to the local police, but because of the location, there were a few, if any, souls complaining nightly, the police just cruised once or twice and left.

The total round trip from Ken’s Burgers on Long Beach Blvd to Belmont Shore and back to Bixby Knolls was around 30 miles. But, if you add in Newport Beach, Balboa, and Laguna Beach, that adds an additional 50 miles, overall. So it was usually the short 30 mile cruising grounds, but some weekends and Easter Vacations, it added 50 more miles to Newport Beach, Laguna Beach and back.
    upload_2019-4-25_5-24-46.png
    Finally, most weekends were spent hanging out at Grissinger’s because of four things: girls in cars, great food (gravy and fries, real Cherry Cokes, etc.) hot cars of all kinds, and a ton of friends. To us locals, it was better than the more famous Harvey’s Broiler up in Downey, 10 miles north. That place was great, but did not hold up to our “own” hangout. We went up there many times by ourselves or with a long line of cars, but the atmosphere was not cool to outsiders.

Jnaki

So, there wasn’t just a single street to cruise. For us, there were several local circuits, nearby communities, the bigger hot spots along the coast and the next county. Cruising was fun for us, the gas was cheap (25 cents in 1960 is equal to $2.13 in 2019 and the hot cars were everywhere. The girls and parties were the fire that drew us to other cruising grounds. We were moths lured to the light.

9. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

When I was in high school in Grand Island, I graduated in 1967 we used to cruise South Locust street and part of Second Street

10. mlake01

mlake01

Cruised the “gut” - Willamette Street in Eugene, OR - in my ‘27 Dodge Brothers coupe... Gathered more than my share of tickets from the cops down there, moved away for a few years, and when I came back it was all gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Portland Oregon, late 60's, SW Broadway st.
    My first car was a 61 Impala, 348/3speed/column shift, the very first thing I did was put a Hurst Syncro-Loc shifter in it, took my smart ass neighbor with me to Broadway for my first cruise, sitting at a light oogling the girls and what's the little asshole do, he reaches over and moves the shift handle thinking it would be funny if I tried to take off in neutral.
    Problem is it was NOT QUITE IN NEUTRAL:mad:
    Hello, wrecking yard.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  12. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Spent most of my time between an A&W in Hawthorne and the Wich Stand in Baldwin Hills. So it was Hawthorne Blvd, La Brea Ave. and Slauson. Drag racing was all over the place and most knew where.

31hotrodguy and jnaki like this.
  13. mark40h

mark40h
    from quincy,il.

14. mark40h

mark40h
    from quincy,il.

BROADWAY AND MAINE ST. IN QUINCY,IL. TURN AROUND IN SANDYS PARKING LOT ON BROADWAY.LISTEN TO KAAY IN LITTLE ROCK AND WLS IN CHI TOWN.

15. leon bee

leon bee

Manhattan, Kansas. Couldn't always get KAAY, but KOMA outa OKC was always loud and clear. I can still remember.........."Saturday Night!! Spider and the Crabs!!! Alliance Nebraska!!!!

16. tbirddragracer

tbirddragracer

South Broadway in Tyler, Texas, cruise all the way from the Square downtown to the end of Broadway.
    Turn around at the Derrick Drive-In and do it all over again. Late '50s to mid '60s, cruised in a '53 Ford,
    dual carbs, Mallory ignition, rear bumper dragging the ground. Most drags were between redlights,
    seldom got out of second gear. Had a three speed overdrive in the '53, manual switch for the OD,
    could lock it in low gear od, run from light to light. Good times, gas was cheap and the music was loud.
    Still see a few cruisers, mostly rice burners.

31hotrodguy and Fordor Ron like this.
  17. bob b.

bob b.
    from peoria az.

central ave early 60s phoenix az. 55 chevy

31hotrodguy likes this.
  18. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

2nd street El Cajon and Valley Parkway Escondido late 70s mid 80s:cool:

31hotrodguy likes this.
  19. mbailey99gt

mbailey99gt

Irving, TX
    Irving Blvd from Plymouth Park Shopping Center East to Dallas (almost), and back to Chubbies in PP.
    Hung out in parking lot until crowd got too rowdy and run off by Police.
    '67 Mercury Capri, 289 3 on the tree.

Good Times!
    Sorry, no pics available...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

20. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

Hampton,Virginia. 1965-1966 Friday/Saturday Nite. Shoney’s on Pembroke Ave to Shoney’s on Jefferson Ave.ln NewPort News,Virginia and back.................,,.......all night long.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  21. TWKundrat

TWKundrat

Speedway Blvd. Tucson, AZ

Pretty lame for the most part. I was in high school in the early 2000's so it was mostly jap cars and only a few of us were running around in old cars. Then the police decided to put an end to it after a while. On a busy night they blocked off the parking lot enterances at the main gathering spot and got us all for criminal trespassing because the businesses were closed.

51 mercules likes this.
  22. Danny Brown

Danny Brown

Forest Lane / Dallas, Texas '71 thru '75

mbailey99gt likes this.
  23. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Yes here in Nebraska we could get KOMA, but only at night. During the day it would not come in. And yes I remember Spider and the crabs as well

leon bee likes this.
  24. leon bee

leon bee

^^^Just at night there, too. Had to listen to some dam Topeka station during the day. Remember those beer parties out at the lake with 25 cars all with the doors open and KOMA turned up loud.

25. You are right on. Many of us. Don't forget Vista Del Mar between Manhattan Beach and Playa Del Rey.

26. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

Asbury Park NJ in the late 70's early 80's and Summer Ave and Presidents Island in Memphis TN in the mid late 80's.

27. Oilguy

Oilguy

It all happened here. Highway 101 Forks, WA. We would cruise to the south end and spin our tires on the steel plates at the state scale house, then go north 1/2 mile to the other end of town and turn around at the old locomotive at the park. Then back to the steel plates. If two cars showed up on a Friday night, we had a cruise-in going on.

Attached Files:

28. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

29. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

KOMA was the station! From around 8PM to maybe 4 to 5 AM it came in clear as a bell. What memories that brings to me. Partying listening to the radio, and on a AM station. How did we survive without FM radio?

30. Galena Avenue in Dixon, Illinois, ...about 3 miles long,...4 lanes,...from the mid 60's thru the early 70's,..put on thousands of miles goin up and down that road ,..drivin 55, 56 and 57 Chevs, and a couple of California 63-4 Nova SS's,...wish I had a nickle for every trip up and down that street.
    absolutely no cruising on that route anymore, it just faded away.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019