Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration U Drop Inn

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J.Ukrop, Apr 26, 2019.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

U Drop Inn

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

stinson, brad2v, Tim and 5 others like this.
  2. Thanks for the history.

3. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

That station has always been a stop anytime I'm up that way.
    The first time for me was on my way home to Washington sometime in the late '90s. We drove every stretch of old 66 from Oklahoma to California. I'll have to dig out and scan those pictures.

Tim likes this.
  4. Liberal 2015 008.jpg Yep been there a few times on my road trips

brad2v, Tim and Ron Funkhouser like this.

5. You were right up the road from Bob Owens, did you stop and have a look at his slice of heaven?

drdave likes this.
  6. 5window

5window

Was there last Fall. They have done a great job with the restoration and the town museum was fun,too.

7. oldcargary

oldcargary
    from devore, Ca

Wow, that's when there was design in buildings. Cool place to stop.

8. 42˚18'N 83˚09'W

42˚18'N 83˚09'W

Here you go... Love that place. 086.JPG 091.JPG

brad2v and Tim like this.
  9. noboD

noboD

Was Elvis still sitting in the corner booth? Had an excellent lunch in town at the only diner just about 1/2 mile from there.

10. I had to check it out on the Google satellite so I could zoom in and then walk around with the street view deal and see the whole area at eye level. Who knows if I'll ever make the trip so I traveled by internet magic..... for now. I'll bet it was a real oasis in a parched land and a welcome sight for travelers back in those times. I'm thinking those who built it and operated it were pioneers because it was a concept way ahead of its time; a combination of a fuel stop and a travel center. That makes sense due to Rt 66 being as close to an interstate as you could get in the 1930s.

The same concept is alive and well today (minus the mechanics and service) but has grown all out of proportion to those times. There's a Texas-sized one in my town that has taken gas and snacks up a few notches. I quote Wiki below.........
    "In 2012, Buc-ee's opened its largest travel center in New Braunfels, Texas on Interstate 35. The New Braunfels location is the largest convenience store in the world at 68,000 square feet. The store features 120 fueling positions, 83 toilets, 31 cash registers, 4 Icee machines, and 80 fountain dispensers. It also offers tubing and water gear for enjoying the nearby Guadalupe River."

11. hudson48

hudson48

Been through Shamrock 3 times and the last one was a year ago on the Hudson Across USA trip. Beautiful buulding and the prime photo shoot spot. Had dinner that night at the steak house across the street.
    P1050872 (Medium).jpeg P1050873 (Medium).jpeg 31855562_10209317615296472_2720261010580570112_n.jpg

abill, drdave, stinson and 3 others like this.
  12. sololobo

sololobo

what a spot, really cool at night with all the neon lit up. Nice to see the pix and folks enjoying it.

13. Haven't been there yet but I stopped at an old, abandoned gas stop somewhere in Colorado in my trusty old 41 Pontiac one day. Nobody within many miles.
    hamdragsabondedgastation.jpg

brad2v, flamingokid and Tim like this.
  14. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

I wonder how the food they served was back in the days when this place first opened for business.

I'm going to assume the food was tasty, satisfying and fairly priced and I don't care one little bit if I am wrong about that.

15. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

I'm not ashamed to say that the U Drop Inn inspired Ramone's House of Body Art for CARS. How fitting that our resident car customizer made this location his home!
    Ramoneshouseofbodyart.jpg

16. ryno

ryno

CB028DFF-87D4-44EB-BD4A-9AA257987C76.jpeg Yep been a. Few times, always a stop when heading south to the biggest attraction in Texas, @flat top bobs!

Attached Files: