Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Manly horn.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by iwanaflattie, Apr 25, 2019.

1. I had a 90 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham, the horn had a nice "move or I'll f*cking kill you tone" while still maintaining some class.

2. alchemy

alchemy

My 6 volt horn makes a very loud Annnnnnn! sound when I put 12 volts through it. I wouldn't say it's really manly, but it sure is loud.

Bengine2.jpg

3. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Your 50s horns should have an adjustment screw, can make a big difference on some of the sick ones I've played with.

I like the La Cucaracha and Godfather idea. Add the Dukes of Hazard General Lee Dixie too, so you have the right demographic for the neighborhood you're cruising.

4. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Easy on the budget at $8.99, Harbor Freight item #63274 a 12V Ooga Horn

5. town sedan

town sedan

Back in high school {1970's} a friend had the Roadrunner horn on his OT '67 GTO. Meep! Meep!
    Not my 1st choice, but it was something he liked.
    -Dave

6. Paul

Paul
    Editor

7. Thanks for the ideas..
    I really want a horn with a deep,throaty raspy sound,,
    Like my exwife

Truck64 likes this.
  8. jmikee

jmikee
    from washington

I have used Hella horns 007424801 in several cars and they are nice and loud $22.00 or so Amazon Prime.

9. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The 6V guys are right...12V gives the same result as converting them to nuclear, but is much cheaper.

I've always thought the first musical bit from "Can't get no Satisfaction" played at eleven would be a great horn sound.
    Sounds powerful and about to run you down.

Moriarity likes this.
  10. mountainman2

mountainman2

Yep..don't want a "manly" horn.....just want one as loud as my wife when she's pissed at me. :eek:

11. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

If you want to sound like a dip**** then put an ahoogah horn on.

Although the proper place for those cheesy items is the nearest dumpster.

12. Dipshit eh?

13. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

My 47 Lincoln has two huge trumpets mounted to the bottom of the hood. Don't know how they sounded on 6 volts, but on 12 volts you can hear them in the next county! And it's not some high shrill sound, either, it's a good manly bass sound.

14. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

When we were looking for something else to make our cars stand out was changing the horns on our hot rods. Some of the stock horns were of course, stock, like the 4 door family sedan with a car load of teenage girls. So, the hot rods needed something different. (Manly? Just something different was necessary.) We angled up the horns and that just made the sound worse.

So, it was back to the experiments. My friend's front yard and driveway sounded like a bunch of teenage seals boasting their vocal cords. One of our friends had a long loud horn from a big truck that his dad had lying around…that was too loud. Another neighbor had a tank of air and a huge truck horn, that was really loud and not for street use.

Now, we were working on the motor of the 57 Chevy Bel Air and one of us happened to drop a Pendleton shirt on top of the stock horn. My friend was trickster and waited until I was under the hood, leaning over the radiator area, when he honked the horn. Of course I hit my head on the work light when I jerked back. We all laughed at that action. (Who hasn’t done that to a friend or nemesis?)

But, one interesting thing happened at that moment, the horn was loud, but slightly muffled. It was a different sound and both of us looked at each other and our eyes lit up. A new sound from that covered stock horn. The other one was uncovered. Now, we both stepped back and beeped the horn again. It was a different tone, so we covered the other horn and beeped again. This time it was too muffled. So, only one horn was covered. To make sure we could have a distinct horn sound, we stuffed a shop rag into the horn curve and put a piece of tape over it. (It still had the slight stock sound…)
    upload_2019-5-9_16-1-56.png

Jnaki

Now, the horn had a very distinct sound, muffled, but loud enough to be heard out on the street from the garage. So, more experiments in the next several minutes, with both being uncovered, one stuffed, both stuffed, both stuffed loosely, etc. The best new sound came from a combination of one stuffed well and the other slightly stuffed. We even moved the direction of the horns facing the grille directly for more new sound.

That made the new sound for this 1957 Chevy Bel Air Hardtop. When we cruised into the local drive-in parking lot and beeped the horn, all eyes moved over to the 57 Chevy, as if something new rolled into the lot for the show and tell sessions.

No fuss, no bother, no cost/but effort, just a couple of teenagers with extra time on our hands (and not spending any money), for another oddball upgrade to our hot rods.
    upload_2019-5-9_16-2-39.png The 1957 Christmas tree delivery hot rod, circa 1961-62.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/christmas-friday-art-show-2018.1133544/#post-12875299