Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Backfire through carb - possible damage?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bantam, Apr 24, 2019.

1. bantam

bantam

Rebuilt a Holley double pumper and put on a rebuilt SBF motor. Set timing according to TDC using my thumb over the spark plug hole on #1 cylinder technique. Motor fired off nicely and idled well. However, soon noticed an oil leak and figured it was easiest to pull the motor to fix it.

Reinstalled motor. Set distributor using thumb over #1 spark plug hole again. Must have been a little off and got a pretty significant back fire with a foot of flames coming out through the carb. Double checked for #1 at TDC, realized the amount of miss, and reset the distributor to get it correct.

Now the motor is struggling to idle and have to rev it up to 3000 rpm’s to keep it running. No amount of distributor/timing adjustment helps.

Wondering if I damaged the carb with the large backfire and if so, what would be a common failure point within the carb that I could check?

Thanks in advance -

Bantam

2. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

3. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Yep...
    Replace it, even if you "see"...no damage.

Mike

4. Deuces

Deuces

Do all of the above and also check the float level in the fuel bowls.....

Truckdoctor Andy and loudbang like this.
  5. Holley once sold a "backfire kit" to prevent this problem. Basically you drill a hole in the carb body and install a one way check valve.

6. Deuces

Deuces

I believe that's for the throttle plate.... I could be wrong.... :confused:

egads likes this.
  7. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Backfires can blow out (rupture) a vacuum diaphragm power valve. Not sure of the double pumpers, but other Holleys use them.

Deuces likes this.
  8. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Geeze...really.
    A quick lookup and wonder of wonders...
    https://www.holley.com/products/tools/carburetor_tools/parts/125-500

And NO, it is not (?) FOR the throttle plate. I don't understand that comment...
    It "becomes"...part of the throttle plate.
    It helps protect the power valve from backfires, thought it's not 100%, it's much better than nothing.

Mike

9. egads

egads

Actually ,it's called the throttle body. This is a throttle plate:[​IMG]

10. Deuces

Deuces

Ok, my bad.... Sheeeesh! :rolleyes:

egads likes this.
  11. egads

egads

^^^^^^^^ I knew what you meant!!:):) I just don't understand why Mike VV got so upset and then called it wrong too.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  12. Deuces

Deuces

No biggie.... I just try to keep the peace.... ;)

egads likes this.
  13. bantam

bantam

Thanks for initial burst of feedback. I’ll check the power valve today.

But let me make sure I understand the impact of a blown power valve: it is essentially allowing a vacuum leak because the diaphragm on the valve is damaged, correct? And thus, I am struggling to maintain an idle due to the leak?

Thanks in advance for continuing to educate your fellows HAMB members. Always helps to know the “why” behind the issue rather than just part swapping.

Bantam

14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

When the diaphragm ruptures, it will draw fuel through it and cause a over rick idle.

15. egads

egads

I think you should start looking for a fairly large vacuum leak- carb base gasket, intake gaskets. Is the exhaust blowing out black smoke? Does it try to idle any better if you partially cover the butterfly?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  16. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

If I recall correctly, after about '92 Holley's came equipped with a built-in check valve, though the ball gets lost a lot when they get rebuilt. Never hurts to replace the check valve, they're cheap, and if we're honest, there's probably one that will help with your fuel economy and throttle response too.

17. I've blown a good number of power valves due to backfire (usually when accelerating too hard before engine is warm and choke is off). The check valve doesn't work all that well, at least it hasn't for me.

A backfire induced power valve rupture can range from a slightly poor idle to an engine that will barely run at all except at higher RPM. If you suspect it at all, replace it.