Register now to get rid of these ads!

Let's see some sheet metal shaping

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jhnarial, Sep 16, 2008.

1. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

Has anyone ever used a reciprocating saw (Sawsall) for a light duty Pullmax style machine? I was looking at a demo hammer to use when I saw a recip saw. 18 amp. Looks pretty heavy duty. I work mostly aluminum. Anyone have any ideas on this?

loudbang likes this.
  2. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

3. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Looks like the dem hammer’s shaft is much larger than on a “saws all”. ? Might work.

loudbang likes this.
  4. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

I'd worry that the internals aren't designed to handle that kind of shock load. It'll probably hammer itself to death.

5. pigfluxer

pigfluxer

It’s Chinese, let it....

jvo, Rich S., Dino 64 and 1 other person like this.
  6. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can't get a reciprocating saw to last just cutting metal with it. I would imagine if you tried to shape with it, it would only last a few minutes.

loudbang likes this.
  7. MP&C

MP&C

More practice with the hand formed louvers, these were rotated 15 degrees.

28D25508-BB42-4D47-8AEC-2C52A3FAA14B.jpeg EC3B6259-10B7-40C5-A6EB-53AF15A6D52B.jpeg 63887A72-BD2E-4AE4-BE32-5248939709F0.jpeg

Chavezk21, sfm1951, Okie Pete and 8 others like this.
  8. Could you use it to "power"the offset wheel that moves the hammer,instead of getting the hammer head directly on it?
    Like this.
    images (9).jpeg

MP&C likes this.
  9. Inspiring

MP&C likes this.
  10. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I am back on the Lakester rear sheet metal. Done mostly in the rolls, brake, shrinker, and bead machine for offsets. Lots of Dzus buttons to install. Next will be completing the enclosure around the parachute tubes and push bar wheel. IMG_2767.JPG IMG_2771.JPG IMG_2823.JPG IMG_2858.JPG IMG_2868.JPG IMG_2885.JPG IMG_2888.JPG IMG_2891.JPG IMG_2893.JPG

Okie Pete, Countn'Carbs, oj and 17 others like this.
  11. MP&C

MP&C

John stopped by the shop last night so we could fit up the running board skirts on the Biederman.

[​IMG]

I know he will be glad to close off this gaping hole.

[​IMG]

After taking some measurements we got the top flange folded over using the magnetic brake. The flange will be bolted to the underside of the cab to support the weight as we will leave about a 1/4" or so gap above the running board to allow for frame flex.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rivet Nuts installed under the cab...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rubber edge trim is our attempt to keep the paint from rubbing off, and these are held in place using weatherstrip adhesive.

[​IMG]

The dump bed had been painted over when John bought it, but closer inspection showed where some additional layers of paint in the hand painted lettering, "Phone 60" had staved off surface rust in it's previous life and was still visible...

[​IMG]

Okie Pete, D-Russ, brEad and 4 others like this.
  12. That’s got to be THEE nicest dump truck paint job I’ve ever seen
    8D4B654F-3B99-4514-85AC-D180AFD4CDEC.jpeg

Chavezk21, brEad, fauj and 2 others like this.
  13. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Make that one of the nicest trucks I have ever seen. Beautiful, thorough work, all the way !

brEad, loudbang and MP&C like this.
  14. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

I like your method of letting the filler panel "float" on the running board taking into consideration that there
    is probably a small bit of movement between the running board, cab and fender where positive attachment could lead to stress cracking.

oj, loudbang and MP&C like this.
  15. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Probably more than a small amount of movement. This lucky truck probably won't be put back to work again, but when an end dump is on the job, everything is in motion.

Very nice job on the whole truck.

JOYFLEA, loudbang and MP&C like this.
  16. Built a kitchen light for a 1955 Airstream. Not hard but fun and shiny

Attached Files:

Okie Pete, safetythird, TFoch and 2 others like this.
  17. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I got the back end closed up. I should have taken more pics of the parts before I welded and ground the corners. I used my small tank die in the bead roller, and rolled a 1/2" bead, before cutting the center out. The low side of the center needs to be open for the parachute hook ups, and access for a floor jack. I may cut and bell some holes in the larger flat areas to let trapped air out. IMG_2895.JPG IMG_2900.JPG IMG_2902.JPG IMG_2903.JPG IMG_2908.JPG

Ziggster, Okie Pete, oj and 10 others like this.
  18. Nice work Marty .

loudbang and MP&C like this.
  19. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Louvers might look nice.

loudbang likes this.
  20. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

Could you post a picture showing the nose from front and side.

21. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The nose isn't finished yet, I am working my way forward completing the center of the belly pan, then the nose, and the canopy last. IMG_2913.JPG IMG_2912.JPG IMG_2914.JPG

22. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I got the nose fully welded and mounted with Dzus buttons. Since I have no real experience doing the final hammering and filing of the welds, I had to have some help. I called my metal shaping coach Chris Kopp for some lessons. He prefers welding with acetylene, but he was able to shape it up and make it look pretty good. It's good to have talented friends, that don't mind sharing their skills and experience. If I could do it again, I would have built the nose first, then designed the rest of the body to match. IMG_2934.JPG IMG_2936.JPG IMG_2938.JPG IMG_2939.JPG

Ziggster, Okie Pete, JOYFLEA and 9 others like this.
  23. verde742

verde742

WOW,, !!!!!

brEad likes this.
  24. Amazing!

loudbang likes this.
  25. A local rod shop in my area has a pretty much open door policy for anyone willing to learn, the owner is willing to teach welding, metal working, fabrication, etc.
    But twice a year he has am open house called "metal meet" where he teaches restoration basics, it gives you a chance to learn how to use all the tools you see on TV. You are encouraged to bring a "young person" to get them interested and involved in the hobby. This is all free and food and drinks are provided all weekend (donations are accepted) any way, I took my daughter and her boyfriend and they had a great time hammering out some stuff, using a shot bag, E-wheel, shrinker/stretcher, etc.
    They had a great time with it
    More info here
    http://customandclassiccareducationalfoundation.org
    Chappy
    20190504_144255.jpg
    20190504_150248.jpg
    20190504_151403.jpg

Ziggster, Okie Pete, chop job and 8 others like this.
  26. MP&C

MP&C

Chappy, thanks for sharing the pictures, I was helping Norm with the Model A fenders and had no idea another HAMBer was in the house! (well...except for OJ!)

Last edited: May 9, 2019
    JOYFLEA, brEad, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  27. Robert,
    I had no idea either... Us HAMBer's are like a virus...lol... I was watching you guys for awhile... it seemed like there was enough hands in that soup so I didn't offer to help and tried to stay out of the way. The fender looked like it was coming around nicely by the time I had to leave. I talked to Ron a good bit that day, I am about 15 min away from his shop and he invited me back anytime to help and learn. I will be taking him up on his offer as I have a lot to learn...lol
    Anyway, its a great thing he is doing there, spreading the craft and trying to get the next generation involved.
    Chappy

MP&C and loudbang like this.
  28. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Lucky man ! ^^^^^^^

loudbang likes this.
  29. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Some time back I showed some fender extensions that I built for my truck, that started out looking like a large pizza pan. This weekend I got them on the truck, now they need a final trim, and complete the mounting. IMG_7657.JPG IMG_2989.JPG IMG_2987.JPG IMG_3006.JPG IMG_2975.JPG

Lil'Alb, Ziggster, Okie Pete and 8 others like this.
  30. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

loudbang likes this.