Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Manly horn.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by iwanaflattie, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Anyone recommend a manly truck horn without being the asshole with the air horn?
    I have a few 50s horns but they sound like a freaking lady bug on wheels..
    Any ideas?
    La cucaracha?
    The godfather theme song?
    Ahooga horn?
    Tia

2. F&J

F&J

<<<<Big expensive car from the 30s-40s. The dual ones with long trumpets..they are super loud, but hard to hide them in a car like hotrod early Fords such as Model As and 32s.

3. town sedan

town sedan

I like late 50's early 60's Ford big car horns. Definitely not a wimpy sound when both high & low note horns are used together. Shouldn't be very expensive, IF you can find a set in a bone yard.
    -Dave

jimgoetz likes this.
  4. Rich S.

Rich S.

XXL__ likes this.

5. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

I love the 70’s 4 note caddy horns, but people are very proud of them when they’re for sale.
    Need to find some in a wrecking yard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. ERguitar

ERguitar

Is this for your coe?

7. theboss20

theboss20

http://www.loudasscarhorns.com/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

You need two of those old horns. Both from the same car. they are different tones from each other. Either one sounds pretty sad by it's self.

Stogy and town sedan like this.
  9. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

Some tips for making horns sound their best.
    1. Mount them to something solid. Not thin sheet metal but something strong.
    2. Make sure nothing is touching the horn, they come with a bracket. Make sure the bracket is clear if anything even the wire.
    3. Use a relay and heavy wire to make sure the horns get full power.
    4. Mount the horn somewhere where the noise won’t get blocked.

I have the same horns on my ‘54 Country Squire as came on my 2006 Mustang, however the mustang had the horns mounted to the inner fender up inside the fender above the wheel.
    The ‘54 has the horns mounted to the rad support behind the grill opening. Same horns but sounds a lot better on the ‘54.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

town sedan likes this.
  10. Yessir.

Thanks for the ideas guys

11. theboss20

theboss20

Plenty of room behind the grill on a COE

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

theboss20 likes this.
  13. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

Look for Cadillac or full size Chevy truck in the local wrecking yard. Get both horns.

14. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I use to think, Its a horn, whats the big deal? Still do somewhat but my 07 chevy full size truck has one of the sickest sounding horns Ive ever heard. I admittedly usually just try to give it a quick bump to avoid the full blown shame of it all:D

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  15. I have a set of '59 impala Hi-Los mounted to the frame on my '34.

Stogy likes this.
  16. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

In my '53 chevy panel I set up two of the original 6 volt horns, the same ones that came stock in those trucks. I hooked them both up to the 12 volt system through a relay and heavy wire. Yeah....it's bad ass.

TimCT and Just Gary like this.
  17. I bought a decent pair of loud aftermarket horns for the 32 at NAPA. They were right at 20.00

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

A pair of 1980's horns from a Ford F-series pickup work well. I have them in my OT 1986 F150 and my Volvo. They are loud enough to be heard, sounds like a horn, no a door bell. EDIT: Available at your nearest yank-a-part, make sure you get both the low and high tone horns.

Can you hear me now - low res.jpg
    Can you hear me now?
    This is on my F150, a supplement to the stock horns. A loud blast when absolutely needed. It has a manual air valve, a gentle pull on the valve produces a friendly toot.

OG lil E likes this.
  19. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Get the pair from a 1994-1996 Buick Roadmaster.

'nuf said.

20. Youd'e be surprised at what a matching set of 6v horns will do when 12v is applied.....

mountainman2 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  21. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

Sound is such a subjective thing, but the horns I robbed off a Ford Ranger are plenty loud and have a nice tone IMHO

22. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Probably won't be what you're after, but I like Roadrunner horns, followed by old VW Bug horns. Meep Meep!

23. Crocodile

Crocodile

A set of the trumpet horns from a 40 Ford (and I am sure used for many years) command respect, in 6 volt. I can only imagine what they do in 12V. Probably cheap enough if you find someone with a parts car.

24. Crocodile

Crocodile

25. Belair1964

Belair1964
    from Illinois

I second the 70’s Caddy horns but yes people are very proud of them if they are selling

26. Best car horns I've ever heard were on a '53 Chrysler; it sounded like a ship was docking, as befitted a land yacht...

27. 6 volt horn on a 12 volt system.

28. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I seem to recall that some Renaults of the '50s and '60s came out with two horns, a polite "city" horn and a louder "country" horn. I rather like the idea, especially if the two are at the extreme ends of the spectrum, e.g. zebra-finch and locomotive.

29. garage2small

garage2small

I use one from a Harley Davidson its clear and loud even over slightly baffled lakes headers but not obnoxious, about $25 at the dealership. That's the horn only without the chrome cover.

30. My AVATAR has a wrecking yard horn out of a sixties era Cadillac. This horn (actually two of them) is controlled by the button in the center of the steering wheel while the original AHOOGA is still there and controlled by a button under the dash.

Charlie Stephens