Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Where do you start?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hoodwinx454, Apr 25, 2019.

1. hoodwinx454

hoodwinx454

What’s goin on everyone. Was just wondering where everyone starts on their projects? I’m working on a project right now that I’ve been working on for years. When I was younger I tore it apart and life happened. It’s been slow going. So I’m at a point where I have some money to put into and was trying to figure out if I should build the engine then finish the car or continue building the car so it’s ready for the engine? I know it’s all personal preference just indeed of some guidance and encouragement. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. trollst

trollst

Build the car, then you'll be inspired when it comes time to actually build an engine. No point building an engine for no car.

hoodwinx454 likes this.
  3. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Well, depends on the condition of the car, what you want it to look like and your skill level.if it needs rust repair and patch panels etc. do the dirty less than glamorous work first. If you loose interest you won't have a ton of money invested in engine, trans., suspension, wheels and tires etc.....and this is the HAMB, we LOVE PHOTOS!!

4. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

car first then engine then tires. engine and tires dont like sitting for years. just in case life gets in way.

5. hoodwinx454

hoodwinx454

I’ve already taken care of the little bit of rust it had. Sandblasted the undercarriage and inside of the car. Been waiting for warmer weather to paint. I would love to post pics but it’s not a H.A.M.B. friendly car.

6. hoodwinx454

hoodwinx454

Thanks guys that’s the same way I’ve been thinking get the car ready for the engine. I’ve been going back and forth with some buddies on how I should proceed.

7. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

if you do the car first you can always sit in it and make engine noises. :D

abe lugo, hoodwinx454 and Budget36 like this.
  8. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I know nothing of what your project is, but personally I like to get a car running and driving first. ;)

Then again I’m perfectly content to drive a primered car and the refinement of said vehicle may never continue because I’m too busy driving it. :cool:

I know too many guys with stalled projects who are too proud to enjoy them as a work in progress. :D

62rebel, belair, BLUSHU and 1 other person like this.
  9. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

driving them then doing body and paint is a good way to go also. depends on condition of car. most are without or non running engines. so depends on your work ethic and what you want. if it doesn't run and you start chopping it up then you need to finish body and paint first. if you can drive it or get it drivable easy then do engine and tires first.

10. hoodwinx454

hoodwinx454

I totally agree but unfortunately I stripped the car down to almost nothing when I was a teenager and have been working on it and collecting parts ever since. I wish I would of left it together and running but I was young and had big dreams for it. Now I find myself redoing things a changing the car to suit me know.

11. deucemac

deucemac

I always do brakes the steering and then make them run. Once the car is safe and can stop, steer correctly, and go where you want dependably, then do the body and paint. It used to drive my son's nuts because they all wanted a fire breathing motor to start with. I used to asay, what good is a nasty motor if you can't stop it or steer it over to the curb if it quits. They later caught on to my madness.

jnaki likes this.
  12. hoodwinx454

hoodwinx454

Thanks everyone. I’m going to continue to get the car finished before I start with the engine. If the car was still together and running I’d be doing it a lot different. Live and learn I guess.

13. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

Know your state laws. Get a title before you buy a car. Or know what hoops you need to jump through before you spend a nickle. That way you don't end up with a finished car you can't title or register.

62rebel likes this.
  14. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Do it the easy way if you can. If the body is off the chassis do the chassis first, clean, paint, run brake lines, install new brakes, suspension etc while it is easy to get at. If the body needs floors do them while the body is off the frame and easy to get at. Use your common sense, do whatever you feel like but plan ahead so everything goes as smooth as possible.

In general do mechanical work first, then body and paint, then upholstery. Put off buying new tires until you are ready to put the car on the road, because new tires are only good for 5 years whether you use them or not. Any old maypops will do to roll around on.

15. hoodwinx454

hoodwinx454

Luckily this is the car I drove in high school and I put it on a non op a long time ago. But for future projects I will keep that in mind.

H380 likes this.
  16. hoodwinx454

hoodwinx454

I’m right there with the way your thinking. I just let some buddies get in my head and I started second guessing my build plan. Thanks for the input

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

Engine and tires are last IMO, use crap tires and a lump of an engine for mockup. HUGE waist of money to rebuild an engine first that you can't get a quarter of the parts value back, tires will be dry rotted when most projects are finished.

18. hoodwinx454

hoodwinx454

I’ve just got some rollers on it now that will see it thru till it’s running then I’ll throw some new shoes on it.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    The37Kid likes this.
  19. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

I start by deciding the "theme" of the car. Stance, engine/trans, body mods, basic colors, etc. I look at a lot of pictures, car shows, model cars....whatever will help me nail down a build theme I can follow. I also make a page of notes about details I want.

Once I decide which way it needs to go, I decide on tires and wheels since they are a major part of that theme AND building the car to the proper stance. They can be junk yard tires, cheapos or plywood. I feel tires are important enough it's usually one of the first things I purchase, even knowing the build may take longer than the tire is good for. I want the correct stance from day 1. I also buy the wheels, or cheapo wheels with the same size and offset to the suspension will be correct. It's the whole basis of the foundation of the build and the only part that touches the road.

Then I start car/engine/trans/details shopping.

SPark