Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical A Few 1932 Ford Detail Questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LM14, Apr 25, 2019.

1. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Getting down to putting some things together. Came up with some questions:

1. What style is the head on the bolts that bolt the cowl vent to the hinge arm? When you open the cowl you see 4 bolt/screw heads while outside and looking back towards the windshield. What are they? Philips, straight or ???

2. Is there webbing between the bottom of the gas tank flange and the top of the frame rail? My Tanks, Inc tank mounts with 3 bolts (2 on one side, 1 on the other), is there some sort of insulation pad under that tank flange to insulate it from the top of the frame rail and kill squeaks?

3. Basically the same question but this is the firewall feet. Is there some type of webbing under the firewall feet where they bolt to the top of the frame rail? Same stuff that's between the bottom of the body and the top of the frame?

4. Lastly, are the firewall feet bolted or riveted to the firewall? Mine will be bolted but I want to try to replicate a stock style connection there.

Thanks in advance,
    SPark

nam101.jpg mockup3.jpg mockup4.jpg firewallfoot14.jpg heater21.jpg

2. alchemy

alchemy

Cowl vent gets slotted round head machine screws.

Yes there is frame welting under the gas tank.

The firewall feet originally had a separate pad from the welting under the rest of the body, but I think it’s common to just run the same welting all the way under the firewall too.

The firewall feet were riveted into the sides of the firewall as well as in that crevice. Regular round heads in the crevice, and a waffle pattern on the side ones.

3. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Thank you, perfect!
    SPark

4. The single bolt on one side of the gas tank is intended to float much like the mounting for the radiator. Bolt, spring, castle nut and cotter key. I don't remember if there were a couple of washers in there. They make a kit.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    lurker mick likes this.

5. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

3 bolts on the tank is correct also . Henry was Savin $$$ then also .

6. alchemy

alchemy

The single bolt on the one side of the tank allowed it to flex separately from the frame rails as the frame twisted. That is, if the correct bolt with spring is used. Probably cost more to use the spring than another bolt. But definitely cheaper than extra crossmembers in the frame.

lurker mick likes this.
  7. RockyMtnWay

RockyMtnWay

For frame webbing, I prefer the green vintique stuff

Last edited: Jun 7, 2023
  8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

With questions like yours you should really get the resto book set from V8 club...it's pricey but an investment rather than a cost! it shows just about every molecule and gets you also repros of some original cataloging that took me most of my life to find!

9. justpassinthru

justpassinthru

Hey Steve, you are really doing a great job on the car.

You bring up an interesting question with the firewall feet.

I have looked at a lot of cars and production line photos of them and have never seen webbing under the feet. Maybe I just couldn't see the webbing?

The firewall is not an integral part of the body on steel bodies and maybe its not needed?

Fiberglass bodies like ours have the firewall as an integral part of the body.

I also added firewall feet to my body during mock up, like you did. The body was on webbing but not the feet. Your question is making me re-think that there should be webbing under the feet also.

Also those detail photos of the firewall feet rivet locations seem different than all the ones I have looked at?

Im still trying to get you some photos of mine when I can get some time.

Bill

10. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Did they use a spring setup on the one bolt side or the other or all 3? Similar to the radiator bolt kit?

Thanks,
    SPark

11. Just the spring set up on the one bolt side. The other side was bolted solid. The kit for the spring is similar to the radiator bolt but I don't know about the bolt diameter or length.

Charlie Stephens

town sedan and LM14 like this.