Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 2019 Run What Ya Brung April 27 and again in the Fall

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dirty old man, Jan 3, 2019.

1. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Scot, I agree, not cool. But the cold hard reality is that the track owners have a big investment in that facility, and they have to get a return on their investment by way of gate receipts. RWYB doesn't have enough of a gate to even break even, much less give them a return on their investment.So until we can get our event to fulfill it's potential we'll have to be content with what we can get, and share with other groups.
    And we'll never get up to potential till we can get more of our guys to participate in the planning, promotion, and conducting our event.
    Plus we've got a huge group of hotrodders within a 100 mile radius of the track who don't even attempt to come. Hell, I drive about 225 miles or more one way to SIM! Somehow we've got to get these folks off their ass!
    And until we can crack those 2 barriers, we have to, as the old song says, "settle for an old cold biscuit".

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. I agree wholeheartedly Dave. All I can do is try on my end to get the word out. I would need to see some sort of schedule so we know when to run. Can’t hear the loudspeakers from our base camp.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  3. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Yeah, not being able to hear the speakers is a major problem with the location of our base camp. I'll give Anthony a call tomorrow and ask him if he has any ideas. If nothing else a cell phone cal to me or somebody else would help.

4. brianf31

brianf31
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Their Facebook reply to my question said there is generally 7 or 8 elimination rounds depending on turnout.. So we should have that many chances to run.
    I'm ready to break my slicks in.
    Slcks.jpg

5. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I think they're referring to the ET Summit bracket racing with all that talk about eliminations, and possibility the SNDR guys. Since we have no formal eliminations or anything other than RWYB with who ever is willing to ,race you, I fail to see how this can apply to us. I'll give Anthony a call and get back on this later.

Dog_Patch likes this.
  6. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Just a few things to put out for info:
    Talked again to Anthony Persico and the stuff about test and tune runs doesn't apply to us We'll run like we always have except that there will be periods for each group to line up and run whatever they need to run, and it will be in rotation between the 3 groups and announced on the loudspeakers.
    He has a new system that radio transmits to the speakers, will furnish one to us and I'll bring a Honda generator to power it so we can set it up in our area.
    Once again, we will have the monster grill for cooking Sat. night BRING CHARCOAL and Jimmy is going to place it there where we always set up beside the trees. I'm going back to the store tomorrow and get the charcoal lighter fluid and a bag of matchlight charcoal to put under the wood for the campfire as I forgot that today at the store. Woody is bringing a chainsaw and we should be able to round up enough firewood easily with that.
    Hope to see all yall Sat. and have some fun.

chryslerfan55 and Dog_Patch like this.
  7. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

Looking forward to Spring RWYB! Gonna load the roadster up Friday pm and leave early to make the parade and get the day off with a bang. Look forward to seeing all you SFCC'ers!

Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  8. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Accu-Weather.com says Sat in Reynolds "pleasant and Sunny", high of 79*

GAOldsman likes this.
  9. vegaracechic24

vegaracechic24
    from Winder,Ga

Hope there’s a breeze....!!!! Don’t forget the NAPA store has a great gnat repellent. NO NATZ!!!!!! Hopefully they have it in stock.

10. Dang storm rolling in. Can’t procure the Hoodlum until tomorrow after work. I’ve got to invest in an enclosed trailer :rolleyes:

loudbang likes this.
  11. I'm gased up and just need to fill the trunk and I am ready to roll. Not sure if I'll make the parade, that is super early but you never know when I might wake up. Otherwise I will shoot to be there when runs start.

Sent from my SM-J327V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55, loudbang and brianf31 like this.
  12. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Storm should be clear of Reynolds before dark Friday. What you need is a home closer to your shop, or a shop closer to your home:)
    Slicks mounted, bags packed, beer and food bought and coolers ready for icing down stuff. With Red and my son Frank to assist loading car and gear should be a snap.

13. Yep. You’re so right Dave. On top of being busier than a one armed paper hanger, I’m gonna have 2 hrs of daylight and whatever time I have until it’s late to bathe and pack the Hoodlum.

14. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

Actually washed the roadster for the first time ever. Lookin good. Then took the leaf blower to the inside of the truck. Man what an improvement. Dash is no longer dirt colored. Smells a bunch better too. See you all on Saturday

15. brianf31

brianf31
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What time is everyone showing up at the strip?

loudbang likes this.
  16. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

Should roll in about 8:30 or so. Trying to do the parade. Will leave truck at strip and help save our spots

GAOldsman likes this.
  17. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I'm arriving this afternoon, parking my truck and trailer with the SNDR people up towards the staging lanes until 8:300-9:00 Sat. am, then move it over to our customary spot, unload BGII, and then Red will drive my '40 in the parade and I'll do the same with BGII.
    As soon as the parade is over we'll head back to the track for the rest of the day.

chryslerfan55 and GAOldsman like this.
  18. Whelp da Hoodlum is packed and rinsed off. With the better half still recovering, it looks like it’s just going to be me. Some family may show up later. I plan on getting there by 10 since I didn’t sign up for the parade.

19. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Hope to be there around 10 :30. will have a few parts in the back of the van.

20. 3A81C66E-C7A6-42DE-A64F-CDFD967C0F28.jpeg A big shout out to yet another successful RWYB 14.1. It couldn’t have been possible without DOM and all the time and effort he put into the event. Also would like to thank Jimmy and Jim for all they do. Finally I’d like to thank everyone that showed up. Really had a great time. It was a blast as usual. Thank you all. See you soon

21. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Scot, I've got to agree with you on at least part of what you've posted in that I think it was a very successful event, probably one of the best we've had in the years I've been there. But an awful lot of people contributed to that success. A great deal of credit must also go to folks at SNDR for their part of the day's racing, as well as the Summit ET bracket guys, and the Jr. Dragsters. The racing was non stop, with the different groups each getting their share of racing in rotation. The track was well prepped and cleanups after cars scattering parts and fluids on the track were fast and thorough.
    Everybody got all the runs they could possibly want in our group, and they were still calling for anybody that wanted to run to come to the starting lie long after most of us had had our need for speed satisfied and were sitting back with a cool one or preparing food. The track kept the lanes open for all till nobody wanted to run again.
    A big thank you from all should also go to the Persico family, as the new owners and operators of an already great facility, they are steadily making improvements in the facility to make it an even greater place to race or just to spectate.
    Talked to Anthony Persico earlier today and he also is very pleased with the way things went, commenting favorably on the whole event, especially in the aspect that there was continuous racing the whole afternoon and early evening to keep the fans happy. I think we have reached a formula for an event that will give us a chance to do some racing off the streets and still attract enough of a gate to give the track owners a return on their investment.
    The swap meet side of things was almost non existent, with Jim Lyle as the only one near me that I saw with any thing for sale, and I still think that aspect is one we are all neglecting, including me. I guess we all were so busy trying to get our cars and gear ready that swap meet stuff didn't get too high in our priorities. Plus AMS was having a big annual Motorama with lots of swap meet themselves only 75 miles away. I'm beginning to realize we need 2 groups of folks, racers and swappers!
    My own efforts at the racing end of it were combinations of problems with my ineptness and still having transmission and shifting problems that prevented me from getting in any really good runs, and point out that I gotta get off my ass and go to work on BGII before this Fall's event.
    But my personal woes are more than offset by seeing that we had such a successful event, and I want to thank each and every one for their work on the best event yet!!!!!!!

loudbang, brianf31, GAOldsman and 3 others like this.
  22. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

Things we learned at RWYB 14.1
    Ed's chevy hops like a bunny off the line
    Scott don't need no stinking rear brakes.
    Brian has a BAD hot rod motor.
    Brian's son whipped Brian.
    Brian's wife has a purtty Mustang.
    Hellzapoppin in one bad machine
    Scott is the most laid back person I know.
    SFCC's ate all my cookies
    DOM needs 2 automatic transmission in his rides.
    Brad's A just keeps getting faster and faster.
    Shadow will anything you hand her, but will not pick stuff off the grass.
    Red really knows his stuff.
    Brad is good at fixing things under the dash.
    Tequila goes down way too smooth.

loudbang, brianf31, GAOldsman and 3 others like this.
  23. damn it.....no pics?

loudbang likes this.
  24. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

Working on videos. The damed videos are too large to upload. I shorten them but the file size stays the same. I am stumped. Any help?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  25. Congratulations, it sounds like the event is & was a success, looking forward to seeing some photo's & videos. HRP

GAOldsman likes this.
  26. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

FWIW Josh drove the coupe. The 55 is down and we'd been talking about this for quite a while. After two relatively easy passes he had the go ahead to cut it loose. The wheelie bars were set low but he left off the 2 step and trans brake for the first time. Ran 9.48 @ nearly 142 mph. That's as fast its ever been. The heads were freshened about a year ago but this is the first time out since then. It had been a pig for a while. The coupe is back. Josh did a great job.

27. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

@hog mtn dave That last run just happened to be with me beside him, but since all our runs in RWYB are either test &tune or grudge racing it made no difference that I knew I would lose:) So when the tree started dow I cut a fair light (for an 81yr. old man) and Josh redlighted and left me like a slug in the snot!
    When I bumped the rev limiter and went to shift at 6400 and the damn 4 speed went from first to neutral and refused to go further and I coasted over the eighth line at something like 54.9 mph! That's where Woodhawg gets his 2ATs BS:rolleyes:
    Later Josh dropped by and said something about me beating him:eek: Astounded, I replied, "you left me like I was tied to a pole plus I had a malfunction and coasted off the track"
    He replied "Yeah, but I redlighted":eek:
    Glad to see yall getting that car back in the groove!

28. Always a great day when HellzaPoppin makes it down to the SDMSP and RWYB. Hog Mtn Dave glad to see the car getting faster :cool:

29. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

DOM 1....HELL za POP'n 0... Didn't get a chance to socialize, stayed pretty focused, but we had a good day. Good to see everyone, even if it was from a distance.