Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical eBay aluminum radiator?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boden, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Boden

Boden

I was deciding to either buy a $140 eBay radiator for my 53 ford or get the old one recored because it is plugged solid. I am on a tight budget. What would you guys do. If I get the eBay radiator will it last at all. At least a few years?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Hollywood-East and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Who makes it? The Champion Radiators are good from EBAY. Where do you live? If you're in California, I would suggest to talk with the Radiator Lady. She can be found on the internet, at the Long Beach and Pomona Swap Meets.

I believe she's in Wildomar.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  3. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Have you got a quote from a radiator shop to rod it out?

4. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't know where you are but in Chattanooga it was going to cost me $650 to get my 46 Merc radiator re-cored. New Champion aluminum was $204 including shipping. Follow the directions and use a 50-50 distilled water/antifreeze mix. Shouldn't have any problems for a number of years.

chryslerfan55 likes this.

5. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

What's involved in rodding a radiator?

Remove the top of the radiator, clean out the radiator, braze the top back on, check for leaks. Sounds like one of those jobs that could save some coin.

We still have the same Radiator shop here in town that's been here for decades. At least last time I checked. A good radiator shop is something not appreciated till it's gone.

6. Budget36

Budget36

I don't think we even have a radiator shop local anymore.

Last one I had recored in the mid 90's was around 150/200 as I recall.

That said, I've never used a Ebay radiator, but I do have 4 AutoZone cheapies in DD's..running from just a few months ago to over 4 years ago, without any issues. These can't be much (if at all) different than the Ebay ones.

Edit:

IIRC, they have all been Spectra? Brand

7. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Cheapy aluminum off eBay should get you by for a few years.. Especially if you don't drive your 53 much...

8. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I just bought one of the champion ones off ebay myself. I did a lot of reading on forums and checking feedback before buying it. Most that use them are happy with them. Most say it's the best bang for your buck so to speak.

Some had a couple months of use to some that had been on the road four years. I never did hear anyone complain of leaks etc.

So I bought figuring it was worth a try.

9. gatz

gatz

10. jazz1

jazz1

I got my 70 year old rad recored to updated standards. Rad will cool any size engine now. Original coring can be issue cooling modern engines
    Cost $500,
    My rad also weighs 40lbs
    I would be looking at reviews for the aluminum rad you are considering

Attached Files:

11. Sadly, a radiator shop is a lost/dying art. The only ones left around us are in St. Louis, and they leave A LOT to be desired. One of the wanted $750 to recore a Farmall B radiator two years ago. I would not be afraid to try a bay of e radiator.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. Gman0046

Gman0046

What kind of quality can you expect from a $140 radiator? Definitely a Chinese POS.

Boden and da34guy like this.
  13. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

It must be me but I can't stand the look of an aluminum radiator.

sidevalve8ba, bchctybob and alchemy like this.
  14. Hombre

Hombre

There's always paint.

15. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

I couldn't either... Thank Budda for Satin black... As mentioned earlier, Champion Rules for cost and quality! I actually have Mike's # in my book.. bought several from him...

chryslerfan55 and Chavezk21 like this.
  16. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Is there anyone at the machine shop there who can open up a brass radiator, rod it out, and put the tanks back on? If you go that route, you might as well resolder the filler neck and the outlets also. They get some force applied to them at times. It might be a perfect time for you to learn how to do this for yourself. It takes patience, and the joints need to be clean when going back together. The rodding process consists of running an appropriately sized flat bar through each tube, a piece of flat metal attached to a small gas welding rod can do the job. Are you certain it is plugged?

Boden, Truck64 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  17. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

I have one, nice welds , can’t visually fault it ( no water in it yet) cheaper than having repairs done to a brass/copper one (IF I could find anyone to do it, which I can’t without sending it on a long trip)

18. Champion wanted $30 to ship my radiator... eBay to the rescue. I found that one I could use from this seller: radiators4less. They are a Champion distributor and were very accommodating. Free shipping and it showed up polished, another $30 option from Champion. I have close to 10k miles on my build and it cools very well.

19. Ebay radiator on a half ass built race engine and zero issues so far

AHotRod likes this.
  20. KenC

KenC

I have two eBay aluminum radiators. Both are replacements for stock units. Both fit fine, neither leak and and are about a year and a half old. One is a '97 F150, original plastic tank unit with a cracked tank, after only 21 years!

The other is in a tilt cab mitsubishi truck, originally all brass/copper but rotted to hell. Replacement has plastic tanks but works fine.

AHotRod and chryslerfan55 like this.
  21. I have had nothing but trouble with aluminum radiators, I just replaced one in my late model truck, it's only 8 years old and it's the second one to give me trouble and there is not much I can do about late model stuff but I learn my lesson with aluminum radiators in hot rods years ago, I'll stick to copper/brass. HRP

22. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

There seems to be some on here who think the cost of something is indicative of its quality. It just ain't so !!

23. Gman0046

Gman0046

Remember one of the worlds greatest truisms. You Get What You Pay For. A Walker radiatorin my 48 Ford convertible going strong after 21 years. Using Chinese repops will always bite your ass. I don't ave to carry Walkers phone number in my wallet they last forever and cool well.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    Boden likes this.
  24. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Then they look like a painted aluminum radiator not much different.

sidevalve8ba likes this.
  25. ol'stinky

ol'stinky
    from New Jersey

I'm so glad somebody started this thread. I wanted to ask the same question but was afraid of getting my head torn off on here.

AHotRod, deadbeat, Hnstray and 2 others like this.
  26. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Old, You did read it's in a 53 Ford Rite?? He didn't say no hood 34 correct? So... Painting it black an a closed hood.. Ya painted black Cheap/Good quality radiator.... Cheer's

27. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

NCM_0026.JPG Proof... I had a 327, 6-71, 350, 2200 stall , 3:08's, An beat the Geezuzzz out of it an never overheated, Got hot in summer 95°+ days... Highly recommended Champion as mentioned off eBay is how I got in touch with Mike, They will build custom orders for $30. Put neck Anywhere you want it... NCM_0071.JPG NCM_0454.JPG

AHotRod, deadbeat, Hnstray and 2 others like this.
  28. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

99 cents at wally world. I mean 1 can and nobody knows.........
    Down side, if you DO spring a leak out of town ,not everybody can fix a leak in ALL-U-MINUM. Tryin for Jackie Stewart accent there........
    Do whats best for you and your budget. You gonna get a ba-zillion different opinions..........

29. My Walker Radiator is now 31 years old and I have never had a problem with it, all these old cars were originally equipped with copper/brass and were meant to last, the cars built today are throw away and so are the aluminum radiators.

Use what ever you want but remember, " The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" . HRP

williebill and chryslerfan55 like this.
  30. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

What would your Walker cost today? Clearly he's not on the Walker budget... The weld's an quality of the radiator's I have used are as good if not Better than bekool! It's a radiator... It Does it's job, An Well... Oh an it's 1/3 the cost of the hi end radiator's... Sure seems to be a lot of people talk'n shit about'm ... Anyone owned one with a negative experience Champion brand specific! Please post your horror story Now )

Hnstray and INVISIBLEKID like this.