Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Kilmat (sound deadner)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 396/425, Jan 11, 2019.

1. 396/425

396/425

Just a tip for you gentlemen who may be interested. I bought some sound deadener. It’s called Kilmat. I got mine on Amazon for 30 bucks. It did my entire Ford Starliner floor including doors. It forms nicely to the contour. If it’s real compound curvy, hit it with a heat gun. Boom. It forms! Basically I sound deadened my car for 30 bucks and 2 hours of my time. ( the interior was totally out of the car ). It looks like Dynamat that you see in hot rod books etc. only WAAAAAY less money.

Bam.inc, jakespeed63, jazz1 and 3 others like this.
  2. That’s good to know. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. hoodwinx454

hoodwinx454

Thanks for the info. I've been looking at the Kilmat and the Noico sound deadening on Amazon. They both have great reviews. Thanks for confirming on the Kilmat.

4. Blake Higley

Blake Higley

I bought the 80 mil killmat on amazon, very happy with the way it layed down, think 36sq/ft was $50 something

jazz1 likes this.

5. I just ordered the Kilmat "kit" with 36 SQ FT of mat, the seam tape and a gen-u-wine steel roller....was $74 shipped. Maybe now I'll get rid of that WOOOOOOOO noise from the inside of my top at about 1600 RPM. MAN, the harmonics are deafening right now with nothing but a couple coats of urethane primer.
    34header1.jpg

jazz1 likes this.
  6. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

IMG_5171.JPG
    Yup stuff is kick ass for the price. Did my camaro with dynamat for three times the price. Same stuff

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

chryslerfan55 and jazz1 like this.
  7. jazz1

jazz1

Not sure what I'll click the buy on Kilmat or the Noico, not expecting a huge difference however anyone do the roof? Will that help much? My truck is pretty much a tin can, no interior but since I have to pull the seats out I am going to splurge.
    These old internationals had a sound deadener sprayed under the seat area and on inside of door skin. The stuff underside is as solid and bonded as it was in 1941.

I am removing seats because when I set engine i placed it too low. Truck being on stands it looked fine until all was done. Oil pan only 4" off the ground and its going to bite me in the ass one of these days, scraped it a few times. Been putting off raising engine for ,,,,oh..10 years..
    Something to keep in mind when swapping in a different engine mounts 100_0445.JPG

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. indyjps

indyjps

I used lobucrod insulation on my roof, plenty of 3M adhesive both sides let it tack. Holding up great, its very light so I dont see any issue woth it staying up.
    http://www.carinsulation.com

Kilmat looks great too. I havent ordered anything for the rest of the interior yet.

jazz1 likes this.
  9. Thanks for this... I have had the kilmat sitting in my amazon cart for a few days reading reviews etc. I guess I will pull the trigger on it and finally quiet the ride in my coupe...
    Chappy

10. brady1929

brady1929

Great info, thanks.

11. I used the Kilmat in the old beater and am well pleased with the product, I used Dynamat in the Boss Lady's wagon and this seems to be basically the same thing with a different name. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Knghtcadi

Knghtcadi

[​IMG] I also recently used it in my 46 ford after seeing other post about ,this is a new build so I don’t know how it will change since I have no before comparison other then it’s the same as the other more pricey version I’ve used so I’ll def use it again

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

Been using it for the last few trucks.
    Good stuff.

14. gene-koning

gene-koning

I sprang for the Noico with the black outer surface ($1 more then the silver backing) because I didn't want the advertising the Kilmat has, and most of the rest of the interior is black. It may be a while before I get around to putting the rest of the interior in the truck.

I bought the 36 sq ft size and it did the roof and the back wall of my 39 Dodge cab. There are still a few small pieces left, but I will need at least another 36 sq ft to do the floor and firewall. I did the roof and back wall 1st because they were the most exposed area on my truck. Putting this stuff inside those doors will be a pita. The steel roller works well on flat surfaces but doesn't work worth a darn in rounded corners, a rounded body dolly worked pretty good for me though.

I've driven the truck about 200 miles and there is almost no outside noise in the truck (except around the door edges, the weatherstripping wasn't installed there yet.) It gives this cab the modern solid sound when you close the doors. I'll be buying more. Gene

jazz1 likes this.
  15. jazz1

jazz1

I ordered the same Noico kit,,maybe should have ordered 2. Good to hear you are pleased with results. My '41 sounds like a tin can, currently we prefer driving with the windows down, its quieter.

16. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

I use both. Depending on what's left from the last job. 20190211_155110.jpg 20190211_155114.jpg 20190211_155117.jpg

Algoma56 likes this.
  17. Update, we can actually have a conversation driving on the interstate without yelling, the combination of Kilmat & a interior is amazing. HRP

47ragtop and jazz1 like this.
  18. leon bee

leon bee

I'd like to know if that stuff will stick to the ceiling through hot summer days. Seems I've read of some, (can't remember which) that don't stick up there all that well.

19. This is the 2nd project I’ve done with this home improvement product.
    Peel and stick rubberized roofing material.
    Will get some more details tomorrow
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cosmo49 likes this.
  20. Rckt98

Rckt98

Has anyone used the Eastwood sound mat product? I don't think anyone imports Kilmat into New Zealand. We can purchase Dynamat but is hellishly expensive compared to the Eastwood product. I'm planning on doing the coupes interior this winter.
    Thanks, Russell.

21. Roothawg

Roothawg

I was just thinking that same thing. In the 108* Oklahoma sun, will it turn into goo?

22. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

That's cheaper than the peel and stick, last roll I bought of it it had went from $16.00 to almost $21.

23. gene-koning

gene-koning

The Noico is suppose to stick to over 400 degrees in the heat and to -45 in the cold. You do want to be sure the surface you are attaching it to is clean, dry and fairly smooth. Nothing is going to stick very long to a crusty, dirty or rough surface very well. I'm hoping the Noico is going to work better then the milar covered bubble wrap attached with the high temp 3M contact cement that failed after 5 years in my coupe.
    It sure looks good in there now. Gene

24. Knghtcadi

Knghtcadi

After installing the kilmat and only driving short distance a few times has anyone noticed a burning smell or anything like , I can’t pin point what it is but it wasn’t like that before

25. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

U.S. post office will import it for you.:D

26. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Seriously though have you checked with any local top shops or other hot rodders?

27. Rckt98

Rckt98

I can buy the Eastwood product locally as well as the Dynamat. The Eastwood product specs look good, I was just wondering if there was any feed back on it.

28. krazee

krazee

I did my '65 F100 with a product purchased off TradeMe, the company that sells it does high end stereo installs, they sell in several number sheet packs. It is 5 years and still going strong. I also stuck it under the bonnet (hood).
    It is still listed.

29. In the UK there's a similar product at a similar price called Dodomat. I used some last week to insulate my Modified. Went in very nicely and a few minutes with a heat gun made it easy to fit to complex curves.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

30. Rckt98

Rckt98

Yes I have seen that product, no name to it (not that it matters if it is a good product). The eastwood deadener seems to be a similar price.
    Thanks. Russell.