Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical mix matched A sub rail query

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by the pinstriper, Apr 24, 2019.

1. the pinstriper

the pinstriper
    from duxford UK

Firstly, I hope I have got this in the correct section, if not please push me over to the correct spot.

I purchased a "sports coupe" project with the intention of making it into a little event use car. how ever when I cut the doors off which were tacked on I discovered quite a few things- the car seems to be Ade of 3 cars, the cowl which was bolted up with fairly new hardware to the door posts which were factory riveted to the mid sub rails, and then the sports coupe rear.

I found out the body had been shorted 6" after I put a good deposit down, so it was a fairly slippery slope there on in.

problem being now I have started the front sub rails out whilst the rears we're still being blasted- made some new cross braces and a spreader pan to set the rear section back into the sub rails to see whats needed- I have a feeling that the middle section of the car was a sedan? can someone help me narrow the search of whats best here regardingthe sub rails. im not on a huge budget and in the UK new sub rails are double the price of what they are in the US.

the photos on Brookville make it fairly tricky to try and figure out what I have here, any positive input would be great to try narrow it down what I have. Even if its to aid in moving the parts onto someone that maybe able to use these after the effort put in.

thanks Joe

photo of the mid section which was narrowed to allow for the shortening of the body
    [​IMG]14 by joe curtis, on Flickr

close up of the doors plates on the inside before I cut it apart
    [​IMG]12 by joe curtis, on Flickr

and where im currently at

[​IMG]8 by joe curtis, on Flickr

[​IMG]9 by joe curtis, on Flickr

2. missysdad1

missysdad1

It's difficult to give any advice until you let us know what body style you are trying to build. Can you be more specific?

3. the pinstriper

the pinstriper
    from duxford UK

sorry I got a little carried away with the back story there.

I was planning on going down the coupster route, but got sucked into wanting a roadster after ending up with some cheap 32 rails. I come across a thread a while ago mentioning roadster doors now allowing to close up against a 1/4 correct due to the incorrect sub rails. So the parts I have could be forsake, I just don't want to pass them on to someone and give them the wrong impression like I was, or I could build the body up for someone to use, just with more of a known starting point that where im currently at.

thanks for your help

4. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

The front cross channel looks to have 4 holes in it, that a tudor seat pivots bolted through...
    also the long sill plates indicate tudor, as coupes were only half as long...
    tudor, fordor and touring subfloors were shorter than coupe, sportie, roadster and cabbie as the body curled back under the rear window...

the pinstriper likes this.

5. Manager

Manager

I had a similar thing with a standard coupe I bought that had been pieced together. The tudor floor frames are the same width at the cowl and about 2 " wider at the door pillars. They are also a differant shape the whole length. However the shape differance of the front section from cowl to pillars is stuff all. I narrowed the 2 crossrails and then grafted repro roadster rear subrails onto the front v cuting the front part to blend in the different width.The rear sedan subrails arn't even close in shape or length so don't even bother with them. I think I have the pieces I cut out somewhere and could probably get some pics and measurements if you need me too. It's surprising how little info you can find on subframes.

the pinstriper likes this.
  6. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

I have a new pair of tudor rear subrails from the doors back... top of middle pic.
    also the seat riser / u bolt cover... pix DSCN3117.JPG DSCN3113.JPG DSCN3116.JPG

7. the pinstriper

the pinstriper
    from duxford UK

if you could that would be great, the rear rails I have I believe are the correct roadster/coupe items from the terrible image quietly I have compared to from the Brookville site. im also shocked on how little info there is out there on these! I was expecting it to be a simple search to compare bits. thanks for your help

8. fortynut

fortynut

You're dealing with a phantom. In the final tick of work, just make it look good and like it was meant to be. Rules are for being broken. Just tell them it's one of Henrys Phantoms. Not a bloody word of how to in this; just a Hot Rodders philosophy that takes nagging questions and tosses them into the wine dark sea.

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  9. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

I have a 'tudor sedan sub floor, and '30 coupe subrails only, leaning against the back wall of my garage...
    do you need pix or measurements and pix… they are toasty... LMK...
    SOLD... this afternoon...

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  10. Manager

Manager

Yes it looks like your rear bits are the right ones. Il'l get some pics for you.Body is in the corner at the moment while I'm finishing the chassis.Need to shift a bit of stuff to get to it.

11. Manager

Manager

Here's an older pic I found on my phone, Il'l take some more but this gives you the general idea. Johns phone empty out Jan 2019 057.jpg

12. the pinstriper

the pinstriper
    from duxford UK

If you could get a couple over head shots and some dimensions from the inside of the rectangle openings where the floor panels go I can dimension mine the same. Thanks a lot

13. Manager

Manager

Still havn't got to the body but here are the bits I cut out of the crossrails. Johns phone 28-04-2019 048.jpg