Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Car That Never Was: 1959 Pontiac El Catalina

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Jive-Bomber, Dec 4, 2018.

1. stanlow69, mgtstumpy and Squablow like this.
  2. Building a proper one requires a 1959 or 1960 wagon, door skins and quarters from a 2-door, and an El Camino body donor.

The Pontiac and Olds build easier as both had the X-frame (Olds with added side bars). A Buick conversion would be more involved as they use an entirely different frame.

mgtstumpy likes this.
  3. mgermca

mgermca

4. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

5. The 60 Pontiac was one of my Favs, and I like the look of these conversions. If I had been offered the opportunity to buy a 59 El Camino, or a 60 El Poncho, even though the engine options of the Pontiac would have been more desirable to me, I would have gone with the Chevy for the styling.
    Just the same, I'll bet the Pontiac version would have been a good seller. It is a classy looking car.
    In the mid 60s, I had a Canadian Pontiac Parisienne, and because it was the shorter bodied car on the Chevy frame, I had a severe case of wide track envy.
    Bob

6. El Camino Kid

El Camino Kid
    from 808

What he said... ;)

7. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Years ago in Grand Island there was a salvage yard called OK Auto Parts. The owner had built one that he drove. He also had a late 40's Cadillac that he had made into a pickup. I don't know what happened to either car, I would love to have either one

Torkwrench and mgtstumpy like this.
  8. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Was this one a 59 or a 60 Pontiac? If it was a 59, it may have ended up in Freeport ILL.

There's a very nicely done 59 El Catalina that attends many car shows in this area. The owner says that it is an original Pontiac built one. However, it does not have the stainless trim that outlines the bed opening.

The show board for the 59 has photos of it in the junkyard where he found it.....Along with photos of it's restoration. It definitely has a Pontiac frame under it, and the cowl / firewall looks to be 59 Pontiac. Of course, the entire drivetrain is Pontiac, as well.

Overall, it's a very nice, well done restoration.....However, I always suspected that it was a conversion. The owner also has a 57 Bonneville and a 58 Bonneville, both of which are factory fuel injected cars, (although the 58 currently has Tri - Power on it).

9. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Torkwrench it was a 59 if I remember correctly. I'm fairly certain of that, I was always a lover of Pontiacs back then owned a 61 Bonneville rag top right after I graduated from high school in 67