Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical You can’t make this crap up! Did I get hit with an EMP?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Got this 54 Chevy truck here and been running it, short test drives, moving it, working on bugs and string alignment.
    This morning while loading it on trail for a trip to the alignment shop it stalls. No spark! Run the full test, check all my work and looking for created problems, none found. The MSD unit is dead. It’s a “MSD 8360 read to run” unit with just hours of use.
    The internet has nick named this thing might suddenly die and ready to quit 8360.
    Now the thing is stranded outside, well I got the improvisational “see the problem fix the problem “. fix I think,,,

Before I play musical distributors I call MSD for any input. he says send it back and we will fix it.

Ok musical distributors it is.
    I’ve also got a OT circle track car here that’s got a brand new distributor waiting to go in as well as a bunch of other work. The existing hei distributor works and we were driving this engine around in another vehicle. I didn’t want to take the CT guys new unit for the 54 but had no issues using his old one.

Now since we just swapped engines in the CT car I figured I would fire it first, then swap the new distributor in the CT car then take the old one for the 54 and get my ass down the alignment shop since it’s GOING TO RAIN for the next week!!!

That f$&@ing HEI in the CT car has no spark. Was just running Friday!!!!

Wtf you can’t make this crap up!
    Yeah points and the hell with the better and improved electronic ignition bullshit.

Kinda funny though that 2 running one day dead the next units in one garage though???

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  2. Welcome to my world! It's a crap shoot every time I turn a key!

blowby, mad mikey, XXL__ and 2 others like this.
  3. The37Kid

The37Kid

This is electrical stuff, should be an easy fix.:rolleyes:

Bob

4. belair

belair

You got the touch.

Truck64 and kidcampbell71 like this.

5. squirrel

squirrel

If it was unilites, I'd say you have a bad ground....but it isn't....

Blaming it on the Russians is a sound move.

6. traditional McCarthyism is making a comeback

7. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

threads like these make me like my ignition points more and more

1927graham, RICH B, Squablow and 15 others like this.
  8. For sure!!!

VANDENPLAS and Moriarity like this.
  9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

From what limited knowledge I have on them I understand MSD units are unreliable at best.

olscrounger, RICH B and The37Kid like this.
  10. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So what you're saying is your HEI is... "point"less? Your Dizzy has you going around in... circles?

41rodderz, 427 sleeper, clem and 8 others like this.
  11. Not something I picked.
    Just to be crystal clear on that.

12. Ha ha
    I see what you did there.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

the repair of fancy distributors is a simple process provided you have a known good points distributor lying around.

14. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Worse yet would be if they START working again. You just KNOW you couldn't trust them.......

clem and VANDENPLAS like this.
  15. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

That sucks. Vick what happened to the T thread? Lippy

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  16. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

I've seen the stand alone versions fail to fire right out of the box... On the other hand the standard msd dist. with 6A box in my daily has over 80.000 miles on it.

17. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Now you know/understand what the limey's go through with the older Lucas Electrics! : "Lucas : The Prince of Darkness!" or " Lucas Refrigerators : Why the British drink warm beer!"

18. partssaloon

partssaloon

I've got the same set-up in my 32, same results. It may run for 2000 miles and park it and it won't fire when you come back to it. Let it sit for awhile and it will fire up an run for ?

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  19. Need a sense of adventure and exhibit risk taking behaviors

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  20. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

...or why there's no taller than 3 storey buildings in Britain...Lucas makes elevators.

21. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The only time I've had a problem with electronic ignitions, I changed the alternator and the burn up problem went away. If you have a bad diode in your GM alternator, it will kill the electronic ignition. Simply set your VM for A.C. and take a reading off your alternator. If there is any AC, you need to change it.

vtx1800 and Montana1 like this.
  22. Yup electrical ANYTHING !!

Get it all the time at work forklift down, the “controller” died or “card” etc..... that’ll be 3000-7000 dollars :confused:
    Customer always says.... but it was running fine yesterday ..... yeah the light in my bathroom worked last night , this morning it blew....... if I could predict an electrical failure on a solid state part I would play the lottery more:D
    Electrical components work great until they don’t.

And just like you said Vicky no rhyme or reason and more and more times I’m getting new parts failed out of the box or back in just a few weeks or months to replace the same parts again.
    Sucks. As it’s stupidly frustrating

Give me points contactors and switches, at least if something fails you can macgyver your way out of a breakdown

23. Hombre

Hombre
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm with you guys, the electronic crap has left my stranded too many times. now that does raise another question though. I am going to use a dual point distributor in my project engine ( chevy 327) where in the hell do you find parts for them?

24. town sedan

town sedan

Vacuum tubes are impervious to electro magnetic pluses. But, require a much larger case / housing.
    -Dave

rockable likes this.
  25. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

DUI, Davis Unified Ignitions from Memphis Tn. Never failed me or race car. HEI look-a-like. Team it with a VIP from them..

nunattax likes this.
  26. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

That's good to hear, I've got a brand new one and a 6A box, never run it other than dyno time.

27. I have been running a MSD pro billet dist. and 6AL box on the coupe for 12 years. Has never missed a beat.

28. partssaloon

partssaloon

It's a love/hate relationship, I've heard guys say they have over 100,000 miles on a 6A and the next guy says he's on his 4 or 5 one. I've changed everything except the magnetic pickup so far. (and I have grounds everywhere)