Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Opinions/Feedback on Car For Sale

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by anothercarguy, Apr 24, 2019.

1. I have a car listed on the HAMB for a friend. It seems as though there have been a number of views, but very little activity or interest. I would like some feedback as to the lack of interest, so I can advise my friend. Is it priced too high? Terrible color? Wrong style? Nobody on the HAMB is buying cars because our garages are all full? or?

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1947-mercury-monarch-coupe.1146381/

Thanks for your input.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

Some cars are for sale for years...ten days is not long

3. oldolds

oldolds

It looks like a nice car. The price is about right. 47 Mercury's are not high demand vehicles. The color fits the car but is not most peoples first choice. The bumpers do not really fit the car. Volare suspension swaps are a bit dated, but work ok. When the right guy sees that car it will sell quickly. It would make a nice driver. It is only priced a what a used car price. As stated above give it time.

4. F&J

F&J

My feeling is that it's in Canada, and most people here are in USA, so most people here might not want to deal with the unknowns.... import/export fees & paperwork, let alone transport costs of finding a shipper that is willing to cross the border.

Just my feelings.

5. I like the car..anybody would be hard pressed to re-create that car for that money (If not impossible).
    With that said, the Ford/Mercury's '46-'48 just don't seem to bring the money, that I at least feel they should.
    My own experience-I had a heck of a time selling an original '48 Ford coupe, on here, Ford Barn, and E-Bay..finally sold on E-Bay for far less then I expected, and far less then your friends car.
    The car is worth it, now good luck in finding the buyer who realizes that.

lothiandon1940 and Hnstray like this.
  6. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

My pockets are shallow, I rarely read the used car listings... It does look like a nice Mercury.

7. squirrel

squirrel

There have been several threads on car values, etc. over the past few years. This type of older street rod build is just not as popular as they used to be. The old guys who like these cars are dying off (sorry if that sounds insensitive, but I don't know how else to put it).

A friend recently sold his 47 Ford sedan delivery, an older build like that, and it took him over a year. He didn't drop the price very far, only about $5k, which is probably one reason it took so long to sell.

Have patience, or lower the price a bunch.

8. 56shoebox

56shoebox

Visually it looks like a very nice car that was built well and could easily handle long road trips to shows all over the country. The style of car is not what I would be interested in owning. I am sixty years old and I like 1930s Ford hot rods, tri-5 Chevys, and muscle cars.

I look at this car and I visualize a gentleman in his 70s driving and enjoying it. That said, no offense to anyone on here, the guys in our hobby who are in their 70s and 80s just can't physically get around like they used to (I am already experiencing age related physical issues)and therefore no longer attend shows that require multiple days of travel. (Which requires more free time than work vacations allow once or twice a year, ie: retirement) I don't think most guys my age and younger are the market for this style car. The nephew doesn't want it. Get me drift? I think the generation interested in this car already have what they want and are staying status quo for the duration of their hobby life.

Basically, the ship has sailed for the mass markets buying this vehicle. Is the price right? I don't know. Demand may so no, but build expense and quality may say yes.

I hope this helps and I hope I haven't offended anyone. As Satan above stated the car may sit awhile until the right buyer comes along. There's an ass for every seat.

Hnstray likes this.
  9. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Resale red and it might go faster. I think all the opinions above are correct. Try $17,900 in Canadian instead of USA dollars.

10. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

It does not appear to have air conditioning and I did not see it mentioned. Air conditioning is not as important in Canada as it is in most of the United States. The car is very nice and I would be tickled to drive it, but it would need AC.

11. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Nice car, I paid more for my 47 Ford. I think F&J nailed it above, the location. Import fees & transportation costs will add several grand to the cost.

That and a few other issues, the color, the bumpers, the knock off's, the Ford power train, no a/c, etc.

The bottom line is, it's priced a few grand too high for the reasons noted. The dude should keep it and enjoy it. If he has to move it for whatever reasons, drop the price $3k - $4k and it'll be gone real quick.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  12. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I have notice that the cars on the west coast, TX and OK are priced lower and more reasonable that those on the east coast or middle America. That being said, price the vehicle to sell and it will sell, if you want to get rid of it. Everybody wants a good deal and for most of us selling a car means loosing some money, time, or effort.

13. my2nd40

my2nd40
    from Tennessee

I feel your pain. That appears to be a really nice car and it couldn't be duplicated for the asking price. I've watched as my beloved 40 Fords have steadily declined in value.

14. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I agree with old olds, the violate suspension and the bumpers are two downfalls. I like the color on it myself. Looks like a good driver but the market has dropped on the late 40’s cars. May be get it out to some car shows.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

could be worse, you could be trying to sell a 61 Dodge. listed mine all over for close to a year 20 years ago and still have it.

16. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

It would appeal to me much more rear lowered, skirt's, rite period hubcaps... What do I know.... Good luck

17. Very nice car, but a bit overpriced for what it is. Car prices generally aren't going up, and older style builds like yours are having a tough time holding the line. The bleh color, resto-rod exterior, and Briz bumpers in particular are all downchecks these days, and the lack of AC will further limit your market. And the post-war Fords/Mercs with few exceptions just don't bring the money the pre-war ones do. Drop the price to about $15K and you'll start seeing more interest. Be prepared for a fairly long sales period. And remember that rarity alone doesn't add value, it can actually reduce value if the reason for the rarity is because the car wasn't popular originally.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    lurker mick likes this.
  18. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Quite simply, that car has a limited audience. It does look nice, but it's just not nearly as popular as a Model A, '32 Ford or '40 Ford, for example.

lothiandon1940 and 56shoebox like this.
  19. Eddie

Eddie
    from Georgia

I think that your location is the biggest problem. Maybe take/ship it to a relative or really, really good friend in the states and have them sell it. I would not cut the price but maybe add "make offer" to your ad. Virtually everyone is going to offer less than asking price anyway. Car looks very nice. Eddie

20. It's a nice car, but lacks the wow-factor. A lot of out-of-fashion parts on the car, and in this market you've got a lot of competition.

21. I wish I had seen it, I love those things and the price was very nice too. HRP

22. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Car looks great.. Give it some time unless he's in a hurry to sell.. In that case list it for his bottom dollar price...

23. One thing about selling a car on the hamb, the price is really not a factor if it is a desirable body style, I'm afraid the Mercury doesn't fall into that category.

It appears to be a nice car but that era Mercury is not as popular as it's Ford counterpart, your also in Canada and that adds a little more difficulty in selling it to some one in the States.

The car will sell eventually but don't expect a overnight sale, it may take a long time and you will probably have to reduce the price or maybe work out some type of trade, remember money talks. HRP

24. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm building a '46 Merc 4 door. By the time I'm done, I'll probably have close to what your friend is asking but I won't have the import fees and transportation costs that it would take to get it to Tennessee. I passed on a '27 T roadster in Canada that I would have loved to have for the same reasons.

25. CME1

CME1

I like your 1947 Merc. It is a great looking '50's Hot Rod. But the younger hot rodders today are just not interested in this body style. Just like we older guy's, they are interested in the car's they grew up with. I listed my 1947 Ford coupe a long time before I was able to sell it at a lot less then I was asking for it. And it sold to another person my age . So I'm sure the car will sell. But you might have to wait for awhile. And expect to reduce the asking price.

Unique Rustorations likes this.
  26. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    I have been looking at a couple of 46 Ford Coupes. One that pops up first on my list was this one by another HAMB member.
    upload_2019-4-24_12-4-1.png It is one nice coupe straight out of the 1958-62 era. We could fly up and drive home if we made the deal. There are a coupe of 46 and 47 ford coupes that weren't considered because of the price and distance away. Your Mercury is priced lower, but comparing a Mercury Coupe vs a 46 Ford Coupe is rather a hard sell. Your coupe has a lot of neat stuff, but for most folks, it is not a Ford. A lower price always gets more people to look. good luck

Jnaki
    For comparison, since she will be driving around in it if we bought either one, my wife showed a preference to the black 46 Ford coupe. Color? Style? Looks? They all play a big part. Here is one thing she said: It is a Ford and the other one is a Mercury. She had never seen a Mercury Coupe, but lots of 46 Ford Coupes and Wagons.

Most of the comments are hitting all of the points on why it is not selling. But, since you have the car to sell, you might want to consider some of those points and make it more attractive in cost. As far as distance or being isolated, that area is a very nice drive anytime except during storms. We did it twice to and from So Cal. Our drives were sunny and clear. So, weather will play a part in the selling time. (Here is a selling point...if the buyer buys it, pay for his airfare to Vancouver.)

We were selling something located approximately 70 miles ONE WAY in So Cal. In order for people to go look at it, we offered to pay all transportation costs, round trip, if they bought it upon arrival. (COASTAL TRAIN RIDE, REFRESHMENTS + LUNCH, TAXI RIDES, ETC.)

27. Looks like a nice, well done car, albeit a bit dated. I like the color myself and for someone looking for something a little different (We rarely see these down here) the price seems fair for what you are getting. Tell your friend to be patient. It would help a lot to get it out to a few shows/ events to help spark some interest.

28. I think you have it priced right. I was looking it over, it looks like a nice car but that Mercury front end is just ugly compared to its Ford cousin. Give it more time, and more exposure than just here.

47ragtop likes this.
  29. Thanks all for your feedback. All very good comments.

30. Gman0046

Gman0046

Looks like a decent car. 41-48 Fords and Mercury's just not that desirable.