Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 62 Impala differential setup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RPM1960, Apr 23, 2019.

1. RPM1960

RPM1960

I've got a 62 Impala I've replaced the ring/pinion gears and I'm having a tough time getting the right pinion shim setup.
    It has new bearings and a different used ring/pinion then it originally had and the stock shim was a 26 thousandths. I noticed the shim was worn on the outer diameter and measured about 23 thousandths but I put in a 26 like the original was. After slathering them up with gear marking compound I take a look and compare it to the charts and it shows what I believe is pinion is too close.
    Can anyone look at these pics and tell me what it means?

Robert

Attached Files:

2. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

this might help. Figure_28.jpg

Deuces, loudbang and mgtstumpy like this.
  3. Budget36

Budget36

Seems you're a bit too far away

4. RPM1960

RPM1960

DSCF7433.JPG
    OK, I changed out the shim to an .030 with .008 backlash and this is what I got.
    I rechecked the original shims, and the one that came with this pinion was an .030 so I assume I'm in the ballpark? DSCF7423.JPG

5. mohead1

mohead1

Not distinct enough of a pattern....butter them up again and run it...you got em smeared around now

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

6. RPM1960

RPM1960

Yeah, I ran out of gear marking compound and even though I turned the gears at least 20 times I couldn't get a clean pattern on the coast side. I'll have to try again when I get some more compound. I have some prussian blue, but I've heard it won't work well for gear meshing.

7. mohead1

mohead1

Light coat of prussian may work but man that shit will get on everything....most larger auto parts places will have some gear marking compound

Deuces likes this.
  8. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

Hard to tell by looking at photos but your original photos looked pretty good to me.
    Pete

9. You have to put some load on it to get a clearer pattern, I wrap a rag around the pinion to add some resistance to turning it.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

10. RPM1960

RPM1960

OK, here's another try with the gear marking compound.
    55P carrier
    BL=.008
    PL=12 in. lb.
    Pinion shim=.030

DSCF7446.JPG

Attached Files:

11. mohead1

mohead1

Not good

12. RPM1960

RPM1960

Yeah, I think I'm going to have to clean it all up and start over.

13. mohead1

mohead1

Yep

14. Pinion is too far in

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  15. Theres a guy on utube who is a shop teacher who did a rebuild how to on this center section.I believe its rebuild a 63 belair rearend.He is very good ,and goes in to detail how to get the correct pattern on the teeth.

16. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I would pay more attention to the drive side instead of the coast side. If you have the old pinion bearing and its not shot, take and flap disk the ID and use it to slide on and off by hand when your swaping shims out like this. Or, sacrifice a new bearing. The first pattern looked pretty good from the pics at .026 shim. For giggles, thrown in a .023 or .024 and see where the pattern goes.

Deuces likes this.
  17. RPM1960

RPM1960

I think I saw that video. There was a 4 part video by a guy in a wheelchair that goes through teardown and reassembly, but his was pinion spot on when he checked it, so there was no diagnosis on how to do any corrections.

I've gone through shimming my pinion from .025 to .030 and saw some changes, but I'm having a hard discerning the patterns I'm getting. Last time I think I got some oil on the pinion which would explain the messy pattern. I'm going to clean it all up and start over.

18. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Just mark about 5-8 teeth, no need to see the pattern all the way around the ring gear.

19. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It has been my experience that the shim that the factory installed with the housing is what you should use, provided you are replacing a factory gear with another factory gear. Aftermarket gears will require a depth verification.

Deuces, RPM1960 and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  20. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

How much load do you have on the ring and pinion when your checking the pattern?

427 sleeper likes this.
  21. We were taught to grab the ring and turn the pinion with the ring, this will produce the easiest to read pattern.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

RPM1960 likes this.
  22. RPM1960

RPM1960

I'll get back to the differential in a few days. Too many other things to repair on the car for now.
    It's been a project car (1962 Biscayne Wagon) that I inherited from my father that ended up need much more work then I first though it would. My dad bought this car brand new when I was 2 years old, so I've always been familiar with it and what's been repaired on it over the years, but lost track once I got married and and kids... and such.
    Dad past away last year and when I got the car it was mechanically a mess. He had it painted and fixed up the bodywork, so it looks great, but the mechanicals are in need of repairs.
    Fast forward to now, the differential has been leaking for several years and dad always thought it was just a bad gasket, but once I got the car to my place it turns out to be much worse. The yoke nut came off way too easy and when I pulled the differential it apparently had been loose for some time. It seems that dad at some time may have pulled the yoke off to replace the seal thinking it would fix the leak and just bolted the yoke back on with no new preload bushing.

Fast forward to now.... the pinion gear had chewed into the carrier some, and the ring gear looked mottled on the surface, so they had to go. New bearings and a good used gearset and here I am... trying to get it set up.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    Deuces and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  23. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Being a used set of gears, you may want to try setting it up with more backlash.

24. sunbeam

sunbeam

I would start with the shim pack from the orginal pinion. And as saltflats said open up the back lash a couple of thousands on used gears.

Deuces likes this.
  25. RPM1960

RPM1960

OK, went to the original shim size of .027 backlash=.010 Still not getting a clear pattern.... I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Too much compound... or to little? I'm turning the ring gear while holding a bit of pressure on the yoke with a rag.

Attached Files:

26. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

So far, the first pattern looks the best

Sent from my SM-G900P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sometimes less is more when it comes to marking compound. That being said, clean it off and try it again. But, from what I can make out, if you run it the way it is right now you'd probably be happy with what you have. JMO.

jimmy six likes this.
  28. Yeah..Just might make a bit of noise on coast. Then again, it might anyway, with used gears.
    My experience is that is you take a used set that's worn to .011-.012 b/l, and re-install at .006-.007, it's likely to make noise anyway. Might never get the pattern perfect either.

427 sleeper likes this.
  29. mohead1

mohead1

Youre good, run it

30. Deuces

Deuces

That's what I had in mind....