Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Poured gasoline on it to polish it with a brass brush

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pats55, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

I finally got around to coating an old manifold and polishing it with gasoline and a copper brush. I couldn't find copper so I use the brass brush. It worked very well it polished up quickly and seem to be better than 0000 steel well and metal polish this is a water-based ceramic that can air dry It's not expensive and does a great job . It's good for touching up rusty headers that it been previously ceramic coated ,or doing the complete header here some pictures

Attached Files:

2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Did you post the right pictures ? All I see is rusted, pitted scrap ….

3. Beat me too it 302....O/P used used some words that I am confused with , polish, ceramic, or my left leg just go longer.....

kidcampbell71 likes this.

4. What am I missing here?:confused:

5. Slopok

Slopok

I'm not seein' it either!o_O

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. samurai mike

samurai mike

I like cake!

Sandgroper and bob b. like this.
  7. Come on guys...
    The OP from what I gathered on his past posts,is that he is been selling a water based ceramic coating/rust encapsulator since the late 80s.
    I believe he also served in Nam.

The ceramic coating has a dull appearance when it dries after it's applied.
    One time he was selling the stuff at a booth and a lady approached him saying that she'd been looking for that stuff for a while with no luck.
    She also told him that if you pour gasoline on the dried part you applied the coating,then you brushed it with a brass brush,you could "polish" it,having a shiny appearance to the finish.

Which he's proving with those pictures.
    To me,it seems the picture supports the myth.
    IMG_20190423_202334.jpg
    He also said that Eastwood called him to get a can of his product and 6 months later the company was selling a product similar to his.

I don't know about you but you I'd try to support a "local" business,esp especially if the owner served.

I hope he can correct me if i misread his posts.

8. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

9. Budget36

Budget36

I think I'd just toss them in my blast cabinet...heck, electricity gotta be cheaper that gas (3.82 here)

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. You think that is a lot, we are paying around $5.70 Canadian (around $4.25 US) for regular here in BC.
    Bob

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  11. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

^^^Don't you guys up there use the "Imperial gallon", which is FIVE quarts per gallon to "our" 4 quarts per gallon? Still, you're paying more no matter what "gallon" you're using. I can remember pumping gas at my after school job for 24.9 cents a gallon; those were the days!^^^
    As far as that exhaust manifold goes, start out with a manifold in better condition; that one looks like it was buried in a wrecking yards dirt and mud for a few decades. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

12. Stueeee

Stueeee
    from Kent, UK

Luxury! Regular here in the UK is GBP 1.25 per litre; that's $6.15 per US gallon.

Pretty well every time I pull in to fill up my '50 Chevy truck, someone will ask me what it does to the gallon. I tell them that it does 17 to the gallon, but that I didn't buy it because of the fuel economy.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  13. You are correct, the dollar amount I posted, was the price per liter converted to the Imperial gallon, 160 oz. The American gallon is 132 oz, so the conversion is $3.40 US per gallon. That doesn't sound as bad, I guess.
    Bob

14. dan31

dan31

Soo... it's a gas thread?.

15. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Jumping Jack Flash!

ffr1222k likes this.
  16. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

Yes this is rusted pitted crap. I brushed it on two days ago and hit it with a brush just to see what the result would be. If you want to see nice we have it on our webpage.

ffr1222k likes this.
  17. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

Iwannaflatie Thank you for your kind remarks. Your 100% right on it going on a dull gray and polishes out to a bright aluminum color. My photography sucks and so does my messageboard skills .This water-based ceramic is used as a touchup inside the liners of jet turbine engines and been around forever. But the gasoline and brush brought to life pretty quick and I was surprised. Our coating systems are sold to the. Novice and the seasoned professional. I did serve in Vietnam with the 101st airborne I arrived there right before the Tet holiday celebration. it was very noisy. And I got to go camping for two months in the Asha valley. When I came home I weighed 104 pounds. Oh by the way the Chevy in avatar was clear coated with a clear used on bottoms of jet aircraft very chip resistant some day I will tell you guys how I dropped a Sears timing light on the front fender, dented the fender but didn't chip

RMR&C, lothiandon1940 and ffr1222k like this.