Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Coker American Classic vs. Diamondback tires

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by izzy412, Apr 4, 2017.

1. izzy412

izzy412
    from indiana

I am going to get a new set of tires for my 57 Chevy and its down to Coker American Classic ,radial with bias look or Diamondback tires.Who would you go with

2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My Diamondbacks white side walls are on Cooper tires which I like. I asked to have the white wall 1/4" less than their normal mid 50's style. They did them for no extra charge. They were on radials however. I ran them 5 yrs before changing. They are now in storage. Good Luck.

3. hdman6465

hdman6465
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have both, no problem with either, but I believe the Diamondbacks are a higher quality tire.

Bigblue61 and olscrounger like this.
  4. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

Diamondback offers several Tire choices, for less money generally.
    Customer Service is much better too!
    The last few I've done were Hankook Tires with wide whites. Great tire.

pitman and Bigblue61 like this.

5. I have Coker American Classics on the Ranch Wagon and I haven't had any issues with them.the are real white wall tires.

[​IMG]

I have had diamond back whitewalls and experienced a problem within a short period of time.
    I will say they offered to prorate the tire & replace it if I paid the shipping both ways. HRP

rockable likes this.
  6. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

When I saw Danny as the last poster on this thread, I already knew his answer, as he and I have discussed this before:)
    I have Coker bias WWW on BGII, my roadster, and radials from Firestone were already on my '40 when I bought it. They are far different cars also, to be sure. But the radials are so much better at traversing worn roads that need resurfacing that there is no comparison.
    Tudor had a set of Diamondbacks on the '46 Ford he owned and curbed the RF, knocking a chunk outta the whitewall but the white rubber is what tore, not the bond between the white and the black:rolleyes:
    Another HAMBER later bought the '46, and last time I saw it that tire was still on it with no further problem with the WW:cool:
    The bias plies on BGII are about 12 or so years old now as the previous owner bought them and put them on the rolling chassis which he only mocked up before I bought it and tore it down to build my way. Now the rubber is hard and I'm about ready to buy a set of Diamondbacks, as soon as I recover from the April 15 IRS raid on my funds, and the pair of radial slicks I bought last week:eek:

tetanusshot likes this.
  7. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought a set of (Cooper) w/w Diamond Backs in '2002 for my '51 and they look as good now as when new. I am going to replace them with another DB set just because of age, not condition.

8. 3340

9. Slopok

Slopok

I may be mistaken but I think Diamond Backs are made to order and Cokers' are off the shelf.

dan griffin and Bandit Billy like this.
  10. I believe the Diamond Back's would be fresher. The Coker's get manufactured and then warehoused for quite some time. I do have a set of Coker red lines on a muscle car for about 12 years now, no issues.

Deuces likes this.
  11. Yep, Slopok beat me to it.

12. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

any pix of Diamond Back's mounted ? ................. thanks

13. FOURTYDLX

FOURTYDLX

Diamond back on my forty,no problems.

olscrounger likes this.
  14. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

DB's on my '37 Chevy coupe with no problems. Actually I've had two sets of DB's in the last 15-years and only changed the first set out due to the age of them. I do a lot of high speed touring and didn't want to take a chance. The 1st set is on my buddy's stock & original, barn-worn '50 Ford p-u now, as he just drives it locally at slower speeds. The www's on both sets are still nice & white.

olscrounger likes this.
  15. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3 sets of Diamondbacks--no problems

16. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

17. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Damn that's a nice Vicky! '56 Vicky always been one of my favorite cars.

18. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have DiamondBacks on my OT 442, fronts are coopers, rears are Nitto 555 (sticky DOT drag tires) that DB red lined for me. They are close to perfect.
    I have Coker Firestone red lines on my 62 Nova, bias ply, they ride very nice and look cool. I like the red line better on the 'stones because it is recessed, the DB's stripe is raised.
    I have American Classics on the front of the 34 and they look crazy cool, took very little weight. Seem to be a great tire.
    The one I haven't tried is the DB Auburn which is bias ply looking radial in 16" only. Looks cool
    upload_2017-5-8_14-1-6.png

Deuces likes this.
  19. Branded

Branded

Im looking at Diamond Backs also for my 49 Wayfarer Sportabout. I'm considering the Nexen entry level tire because the ole Dodge is just a weekend driver very seldom will see any interstate driving. Anyone have any experience with the entry level tire from Diamond Back

Deuces likes this.
  20. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Somewhere a while back, someone told me that Corky Coker bought the Diamond Back business. Is this true, or just another memory that my calcifying mind is telling me which ain't necessarily so?

21. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

Researching American classics By Coker. Mine seem to ride "hard". Anyone else experience this?
    Actually they ride like 8 ply truck tires.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  22. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

just bought a set of dbs great ride no problems, 3rd set I have bought zero problems. have seen several sets of cokers with problems, but that has been a few years back.

23. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

A friend has Nexen tires on his 57, says his “tire guy” thinks they are Michelin quality?? He is pleased with them and based on that I purchased some for my 55 Sunliner because I am unsure of wheel and tire sizing so I did not want to get Michelin until I know. Of course my 55 is in upholstery jail so I have no driving time for them.

24. PONTNAK123

PONTNAK123
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have had sever sets of diamond back. great tires! I just tried a set of calli tires. great tires and same process as diamond backs. calli tires are fast once ordered and a lot less money 117.00 to 152.00 a tire.built to order in about 10 days. you pick your brand 002.JPG 40 convert build 008.JPG

Special Ed, Deuces and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  25. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

The price and delivery of Calli tires was great, but my white walls became tan walls within a year ... nothing I’ve tried whitens them back up.

26. dan31

dan31

I have Diamond back on a couple of my cars,never a problem .Great tire, great customer service .Cool thing about Diamond back is that you can do a double sided white wall on a open fender car as i have on my 31',neat little detail. Has anyone gotten the new Auburns yet?.

27. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

ordering a set of 6.70 15 blk wall dia.dk tomorrow, smoth sided. little hi price but is exact tire size i had to have .

town sedan likes this.
  28. town sedan

town sedan

I'm leaning towards the DB Auburns also and would love to hear any feed back anyone can give.
    -Dave

29. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

We have a old tire shop that still shaves tires and then they road balance them. When I first made contact with the owner over the phone and told him I have an old car and wanted to get my tires mounted and balanced, the first thing he said to me was "absolutely no Coker tires, I'll do anything but Cokers", I said "no there Coopers".. He didn't say anything after that about them..

da34guy likes this.
  30. I have diamondbacks on 56 Buick. Love the radial with wide whites! It’s the nicest thing on my car.[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

WC145, Elcohaulic and Bird man like this.