Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical FSI electronic distributor for Model A

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Fiftee3, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Hello all,
    First, I want all to know I always search first. I found bits and pieces on this but want some good feedback.
    I have a few posts, and a super slow build thread. I originally was going small block Chevy or 302. But, I have fallen for the Banger Route. My 29 which I want to drive as is this year, has a 30 A motor. Runs pretty good, no leaks. Stock. Am going to get Lion or similar head, headers, single possibly dual carbs etc.
    Am considering a new distributor to use now, and for future.
    My questions are simple. Are the FSI dizzy’s worth it? I know if it fails I’m calling tow. I can carry extra points and condenser and don’t mind staying that way to do a roadside repair to get home. I plan on driving this, a lot. So let’s hear it all of you. Are they great? Longevity? Will I notice better starts, idle, power, etc? Please chime in. I’m trying hard to learn Model A info. I am ready to order one if it’s worth it, based on your feedback. And, will it still be Ok when I upgrade head and cam...

2. the stocker you keep an "A" the better....dont fuk with all the bells and whistles...

3. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

The weak point is the condenser as you state. The plus side is that it's so simple it can be almost totally rebuilt on the side of the road. I would just re-bush the shaft and possibly a hi speed distributer cam and use it as is. There was an article in M.A.R.C. news about the poor quality of the replacement condensers. Stock up if you find a good batch.

Fiftee3 likes this.
  4. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I ran a Mallory dual point in the B motor in my 30 pickup with no problems for several years. I'm running a stock distributor in the counter balanced A motor in it now with the modern points conversion, I've ran that same setup in my 29 coupe for probably 25 years with no problems. You need to make sure the advance curve on the non stock distributors is compatible with the banger, with the Mallory I ran it at 10 degrees advance with 30 degrees at full advance. Stock Model A is basically 0 degrees and advanced manually.

Fiftee3 likes this.

5. low down A

low down A

Really. even those old codger's on the ford barn who hate hot rodders recommend electronic ignition with a hi comp head.

Fiftee3 likes this.
  6. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Micky Remund built the first Per-Lux/Petronix for A's and early V-8's and then sold the business to FSI. I had a very early Per-Lux fail in my A speedster and it turned out to be self-inflicted due to a poor ground. This was in 1993. I've used the conversions in both A and B distributors and currently running FSI distributors in both of my cars. There are a lot of good aftermarket heads out there for A engines. One I'd look at is Jim Brierly's cast iron head. He also has some good cam grinds. When it comes to intakes, check out the Weber 32/36 two barrel. IMG_0861.JPG

barrnone50 and Fiftee3 like this.
  7. That was kinda my thinking. I can do points, but why. I’m doing this to drive...

Thanks for the reply, and info. I will check those. This is new to me and I am so excited to build a Banger. Gathering stuff very slow, but I’ll get there.

8. Denis, great looking setup by the way. I can’t wait! I’m trying hard not to sell my 53 3100, but I may have to!

9. RussTee

RussTee

The biggest difference I ever made to my B motor was to fit an early Nissen electronic distributor started easy and ran for years finally changed to a modern mallory with electronic kit have to say I have had trouble with it appears to be running ok now but not as good as my old Nissen cheap as chips too

Frankie47 likes this.
  10. [​IMG]
    Thomas head, FSI ignition, Weber carb

11. Take a look at Jim Brierley’s new heads. Way better in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

12. Russ, that motor looks great! Jim, can’t find the head by Brierley. I know he makes a cam. Do you know the link to the head? Thanks...

13. lake_harley

lake_harley

Is that the distributor I've heard of that requires some lathe work to make it work in an A engine? I seem to recall someone (maybe many) talking about how inexpensive they were, but the price had gone up substantially. I found a low cost one, but seems it was a points version rather than electronic. Also seem to recall they had mechanical advance as well as vacuum advance. I think someone used to sell them converted/machined, but no longer offers the service.

I recently bought a lathe and would be interested in what distributor to look for (years, engine and model of car). I have a potential build of a Model A engine in mind and have a B distributor core to rebuild, but seems the other option might be a better starting point.

Thanks

Lynn

14. Snyder’s has the Thomas head. I swapped out a Lion head, same compression. Not enough time to say which one performs best. Thomas definitely looks better.

15. RussTee

RussTee

Hi Lynn Yes they do need a wee bit of turning where they fit in the head but I have even heard of them being filed down I had mine adjusted on a rolling road (Something I always recomend with a new build) and ran the vacuum advance. You also have to make a new intermediate shaft an easy job a bit of stock shafting a hacksaw and file. Great thing about a A or B motor is they are realitively simple and with care any body should be able to work on them very satisfying

16. lake_harley

lake_harley

Thanks, RussTee. Do you happen to know a distributor part number or model, year and engine to search for the correct Nissen (or is it Nissan) distributor? Am I remembering correctly that there is a points version and an electronic version? I forget which was the distributor or choice.

Thanks

Lynn

17. low down A

low down A

there's a thread on the ford barn forget the guys name but he used the 80's honda 1.3 electonic distributor had to do a little lathe work but not much almost a drop in. he had been runnin it and reported it was working great. but of course he was getting a lot of nay sayer's claiming it was impossible and you must spend 400 dollars on the FSI. i bought one from rock auto new for less than 50 bucks

282doorUK likes this.
  18. Chopp'd49

Chopp'd49

Do you have the lion head? I am looking for one

19. Colonial Coupe

Colonial Coupe

IMG_2906.JPG
    Burns intake, single 97 and B distributor converted to modern points. Very pleased with this setup. The distributor makes a huge difference because of the centrifugal advance, much nicer throttle response. Plans call for a snyders 5.5 head, touring cam, header and a smitty's muffler. Don't really think the header will make much difference but my wife thinks it will be cool.