Register now to get rid of these ads!

History traditional radical kustom vrs, streetrod

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by finkd, Feb 28, 2018.

1. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I do love the look of your red custom coupe WOW.
    I had two cars I put in shows in the late 50s an into the early 60s a 28AR hot rod an full custom HenryJ.
    It started out in 59 for me fairly simple an worked well,{but for if only one club was picking for the show,some how there clubs cars got all the top trophys sometimes. Too counter that stuff,by 64 the show car rules got a bit funky point sheets, LOL an we got too many spotlites an too many radio antentas an scoops an louver etc,not just cuz they looked cool,but each one was more points. I like simple. For both types of class's and things like fans best pick,plus kids best pick. One of the things is very cool now days,is the homemade trophys that are showing up,lot of cool art in some,very few just junky,but that happens now an then.

Stogy likes this.
  2. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

Now that makes sense to me. That clarifies Early Custom. What has changed imo is today’s show are more about pushing the number of entries and spectator’s up. Revenue’s are the focus. Classes of Cars not so much. Get the entry fee’s and paying spectator admissions in the building. For traditional Custom people, the invitation only shows are going to be our venue. Smaller, focused on traditional without competition for awards. What the Custom Car Revival has started in Indy will be duplicated in other parts of this Country, the TRJ is starting to team with other promoters to give Us Gray Hairs and Young Guns (guys&gals) somewhere to go and Hang out with like mined folks
    . Thanks lurker mick for the ISCA definition. Always a learning experience on the H.A.M.B. Later...

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

Sancho, lurker mick and Stogy like this.
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had to scroll the rule book and by all rights and regulations the car is a fit for the 1190 class
    1190.0 Early Custom — 1935-1948 car with 10 or more modifications, one of which can be chopped, channeled or sectioned; a kemp style vehicle with extensive molding
    The kicker is: CLASSIFICATION RULES 18. In cases where there are single entries in a class, the judge may place them in the next appropriate class. Meaning that if there is only one car in the class he doesn't automatically get a first place in class. Makes it rough on the cars in the class if the judges for the day like that car better or give it more points though.
    Link to rule book. http://www.theisca.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/ISCA_2018Rulebook_V15_WEB.pdf

4. I have read it and reread it.

There were several classes that only had one entry. You can see them on the results page.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I haven't seen the full results. In the long run it is more fair to everyone to have the rigs in their correct class and not moved to a different class even if they get the 1st in class and there is no second. Everyone at the awards presentation knows that you were the only one in your class anyhow.

Sancho and Special Ed like this.
  6. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I think the term "custom rod" came from Custom Rodder magazine many years ago...that was the first time I ever heard the term and at that time thot it was a non-starter...unfortunately, it caught on and it stuck...

I think Jeff has a great idea with his award, but getting the masses to understand what he's trying to do is going to be an uphill battle...

R-

Torchie and Sancho like this.
  7. I agree. He is just laying the ground work.
    Many more details to come!

Torchie likes this.
  8. If getting the masses to understand is his goal then he is wasting his time IMO. They have no problem with how things are now and are the reason there is a problem in our eyes in the first place. Please your target audience and if the masses want to follow along great if they don't who cares.

Torchie likes this.
  9. Torchie

Torchie

As I said earlier the only show I would take a custom to would be the Revival in Indy. I saw a post on FB today from Voo Doo Larry talking about this issue when he took his Voo Doo Sahara to Detroit for the Autorama.
    Way to hip for the room and up against all the Great 8 and Riddler cars......
    I always think of the words of the Late . Great Ricky Nelson. "You can't please everyone so you've got to please yourself."
    Torchie

10. Torchie, the Great Eight Ridler contenders are in their own class and have their own awards and do not compete for awards in any other classes. Unless Larry was picked as a Great Eight contender, he didn't compete with any Ridler award cars.

Mick

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I believe That Mick is right in that the Great 8 cars primarily compete against each other but am not sure if they are eligible for class awards for the specific class that the car would fall under otherwise.
    As for VooDoo Larry's Sahara I think it falls in Radical custom hardtop or convertible depending on how they look at it or how he registered it. They don't give awards for the most hip according to the list of classes.

lurker mick and Special Ed like this.
  12. Roothawg

Roothawg

I like the idea.

Sancho likes this.
  13. Torchie

Torchie

Thanks for the clarifacation. Like I said I'm not much of a car show guy.
    And maybe there should be a Hippest in the room award........:)
    Torchie

lurker mick likes this.
  14. This is my buddy's '40 Dodge ('41 Zepher grill) 331 Hemi... He's been workin' his little fanny off all year trying to get it ready for this show... He was quite taken aback when he saw what class they (the judges) put him in... He is happy as hell that he trophied, he's just trying to build a cool ride... Nothing Radical... He just goes by his Eye, his gut and intuition on what he thinks is cool, he doesn't think about classes... I think he is a little puzzled about what class to enter it in... Where I came from, if I didn't start somethin', There wouldn't BE nothin'... We just tried to build something that looked cool (to us) or went fast or a little of both... You only live once and you have to be cool at all costs...

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pretty cool there Darryl, His car seemed to be one of the favorites with the guys posting photos from the show all over the net too as I saw it pop up quite often.
    Going back to the original subject and that being getting stuck in a class that isn't a perfect fit not just because of having to compete with cars that aren't built on quite the same concept but because I'd like to see some award points going to everything on the car being right for the build. I see so many cars and trucks at the weekend rod trot shows that seem to have one or two items that don't follow the rest of thrighte build. Guy has all the right trinkets, including wide whites, great hubcap choice, proper mods to the body including frenched head and tail lights and what not, nice tuck and roll seats and then there is that damned flame cut billet steering wheel from O'Reilly's right in the big middle of an otherwise great build. It's those little details that call for the need for the 1190 class and cars in it should be awarded for having the correct little pieces along with the major mods. Having the hard core traditional custom guys study and discuss it for lengthy periods of time may be more of an award than one that collects dust on a shelf though.

Darryl Deir likes this.
  17. After reading through the thread, I have to agree with the main points hit about traditional/restored kustoms classed in indoor shows as my grandfather and I run into this issue every time we unload Taboo at a show. As the car runs in full custom within the ISCA, the year were were at the GNRS (2015) our class was Full Custom 55-57. there were over 10 cars, but most were modern builds where most mods were trick chassis, LS motors, and fancy door handles and hood hinges. No side trims changes, headlight work, tail light work, nosing or decking, etc. Nothing done that would even be considered for a mild custom. It definitely skews the minds of younger car people and the general public on what a kustom really is. Last weekend at the Medford Rod and Custom ( a non ISCA show) show, they really screwed with your head. We were again in full custom, there was a 50 ford coupe with a nice mild chop top and typical custom tricks and it was classed as a mild custom...with a chopped top. Though that is just me getting really picky after years of ISCA rules of custom classes.

I would say Sacramento is worse for the custom problem as its thought of being a more custom car show than the GNRS to alot of people not heavy on the indoor scene. A lot of their special custom awards that you would think would lean towards traditional stuff typically goes to some modern build with hints of traditional work. Occasionally a true traditional car will win, but that is few and far in between.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    straykatkustoms and Sancho like this.
  18. Yeah, gotta agree with you on that one... I hate that...

19. Dusty roads

Dusty roads
    BANNED

ISCA was started in 1963. What other established organization has standard categories for entries?

20. Harry Morrow

Harry Morrow

[​IMG]
    My dream! She is so stylish.

Sancho likes this.
  21. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Congrats Finkd, your Custom hits the mark perfectly. Great job!
    I agree on talking with the judging supervisor if you feel your car was misplaced category wise. From the get-go there's a red flag: the judges are not educated enough to know WHAT they're judging.
    Smaller shows will sometimes consolidate classes together. Seems odd that they'd award a trophy for a single vehicle entering a given category. "Park your car there, oh and no need to detail it, you already won, here's your winning trophy to display with it". Like winning a baseball game by default because the other team didn't have enough players show to field a team.
    The modern day categories seem to be of no help to the confusion. For example, the beautiful 40 Dodge Custom in a category titled "radical lowrider custom rod". Define "radical lowrider custom rod"...

I like the idea of an AMBR style traditional full Custom award. However, make damn sure you thoroughly spell out the category specs for proper entry because the trophy whores will try to enter any/everything. Alston chassis', Kindigit style billet wheels made to look like Sombrero's w WWW's, etc...

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    Darryl Deir likes this.