Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical STEERING BOX ADJUSTING... INSIGHT NEEDED

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sactownog, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Sactownog

Sactownog
    from SAN DIEGO

I have read numerous threads and info on how to adjust the steering on my 1933 Dodge.
    instructions say
    "jack up front wheels"
    "Loosen bottom (4) bolts"
    "loosen side bolt near motor"
    "loosen top bolt"

then do all adjusting as needed, I have done plenty and still have an iffy steering setup.

my question: DO ANY OF YOU KNOW A GOOD STEERING SHOP IN SAN DIEGO WHO CAN ADJUST MY STEERING FOR ME.

2. squirrel

squirrel

Might see if you can find instructions for how to check if the steering box is worn out?

also if there are any modifications to the car (different wheels/tires/brakes/etc) that might affect it.

The spring bushings, tie rod ends, king pins, etc also all need to be in good condition for the steering to be tight.

One way to check for wear is to have a helper move the steering wheel back and forth just a bit, not enough to turn the wheels. Get under the car and watch every moving part for play, see if one side moves but not the other.

3. Sactownog

Sactownog
    from SAN DIEGO

JUST AN UPDATE FOR ANYONE TRYING TO ADJUST THERE 30s DODGE STEERING:

so after reading manual's, tip's, tricks, etc... its really just play with it until lash/steering become tight/lose.

top screw controls distance between left and right wheel touch. by this I mean that when you turn the wheel to the left then it touches the point where wheel begin's to turn, then turn to right where it touches. there is a space that has to be closed by screwing the top screw down.
    (you must remove bottom 4 bolts before screwing down top screw or it will not allow adjustment)

side screw, can be adjusted while bottom screws are lose, however when 4 bottom screws are tightened, you may need to adjust side screw slightly for left to right steering "tension" adjustment.

drive vehicle, then adjust again as needed.

note: I still need to loosen bottom bolts and screw down top screw about 1/8 turn again to take out left right adjustment.