Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Gasser radius for a custom 56

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Omarsvette, Apr 19, 2019.

1. my two cents ain't worth a thing, but my suggestion is the following...

... the thing about a number of customs I don't care for is how modifications or even parts grafted in from other vehicles are not harmonious to design elements of the host vehicle. So, I'd say if you want to go the custom route, consider finding a wheel opening shape that marries with other features of the car, whether it be the slope of the roof, the quarter panel dip, the shape of any stock or custom trim you are considering, etc. IMHO, if you just slap some openings on for reasons of budget, availability, past usage, etc, you may be missing an opportunity to work out a better vision, design wise.

Hopping down off my soapbox, now...

Best wishes,

Gotta56forme/Scott

2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Ground Affects

3. 6sally6

6sally6

Now I LIKE the look of those..........and I don't like Larks!!
    6sally6

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  4. 6sally6

6sally6

One more comment..........I was THERE;)(in the 60's) and most "gassers" had hacked out rear well openings!! More of a problem solver(fit big tarz under the car) rather than a cool-fashion statement. I always liked the narrowed rear end look with all-your-stuff-tucked-underneath. All us kidz would shout and point ..."hey...look at the fricken road packer man!...Bitch'in. I bet he can pull the front wheels,cool"!!
    Do the Lark or sell it and start over. Forget the slammed-with-round wellz-look(Like Vicky sez...looks crappy)
    6sally6

5. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Do what you want with what you want and post a build thread . A lot of us will enjoy following it with positive comments. And those that don't like it can go look at something else they do like ! And if they don't, just ignore them. Larry

6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why not use this thread as the discussion leading to the execution. Omar could add footnote to alert us that the build starts on say page 4, post so and so. Discussion like this always highlights the difficulty in achieving a look that is welcomed. Using OEM or Repro of same parts available at or prior to 65 at least makes it a period correct opportunity also limiting sources which is fine as the outcomes here look awesome.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    Omarsvette likes this.
  7. Omarsvette

Omarsvette
    from Arizona

Thanks for the reply and debate. You all make a good point that I was also debating, round or nomad like. Then there’s cost vs work. But mostly for me is looking a little more kustom than just a paint job without looking ugly or cheap and that’s a fine line.

When I was building my gasser, I couldn’t make up my mind to graft a straight axle. Cutting the body was as far as I went. So I put money in the stock suspension, tube arms, tall ball join, etc. I’m collecting parts for my front clip because I sold off the tilt nose. I just acquired a louvered hood. I’ll be able to use my Posi 12 bolt, m22 but the bbc is long gone. I got a 3 deuce intake for a sbc, among other stuff. I should be starting this next year, I’m collecting stuff and getting a vision. Meanwhile I’m finishing my 31 coupe.

Johnny Gee and Stogy like this.
  8. Pooch

Pooch
    from Oklahoma

Yes it fit quite well. Just a little work at the front edge to get the body line to match

9. Pooch

Pooch
    from Oklahoma

4 2 2013 (7).JPG

10. 31hotrodguy likes this.
  11. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

I do remember back in the mid 60's, a "56" Chevy tudor post with full "56" Buick quarters. It used the stock Buick tail lights too. Tube grill and a slight rake. Great looking car/custom. It was from Pittsburgh area.

31hotrodguy, Stogy and Omarsvette like this.
  12. Omarsvette

Omarsvette
    from Arizona

and i like those tail lights, something i have been thinking about also. im looking into goodmark now......

13. Pooch

Pooch
    from Oklahoma

You put them on the opposite side so the long side, or back is the front

14. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

15. Nomad rear wells look great, put them on and ride around.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  16. How about 55-57 Chevy truck openings 20171211_155318.jpg

17. beater40

beater40

How about looking at other year rear fenders, a 59 impala is similar to the 56 but sleeker, that would make a few scratch their heads, what did the Ford's and Chrysler's have of that era

Sent from my VFD 710 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

31hotrodguy likes this.