Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Do you still have that same enthusiasm you use to have -

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Apr 22, 2019.

1. HRBOB34

HRBOB34

Yes! My mind is still going 100 mph!
    But my body is going about 40?
    I try to do something every day in the garage, or go for a
    ride in one of my hotrods!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  2. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

I'm 76, hooked on hot rods from the little books in the 50s. Went to Morrisville Ag and Tech for automotive in early 60s. Been married to a wonderful wife for 53 years, courted and eloped with her in a '65 big blog vette coupe. We have had hot rods all during our marriage until Alzheimer's struck her. Sold the shop/house to become her caregiver in 2009. She entered nursing home in 2017. I go every day to sit with her. Doc says I have asbestos in both lungs from submarine duty in the late 60s so tough to breathe at times. Cancer survivor, I live alone these days. Having told that tale of woe, I never considered selling my '40 coupe, my last hot rod. Wife bless her heart when she was still with it told me to buy one last car, this one. No matter how down I get it makes me happy just to look at the car, better than prozak. I can't see well to drive at night but I can still take the car to the nursing home or to the market. My youngest grandson (17) helps me with maintenance when I need it. Do I have the fire in the belly I had fifty years ago? No is the honest answer but the love of hot rods is still in my DNA and I still enjoy the local Cars and Coffee or other local events that allow coming and going at your pace. Tried going back to the old car club, I am one of two charter members still left alive, but it was like a doctor's waiting room, everyone discussing who died lately or what ailments they have. So I just wash and wax the coupe and relive the memories in my mind.

williebill, raven, Kan Kustom and 8 others like this.
  3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

The mind is willing however the flesh is weak, a few physical and stress related work injuries haven't helped either. The passion is there however it's a bit more subdued.;)

OLSKOOL57, deucemac and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. Gman0046

Gman0046

I just don't have the same amount of enthusiasm I used to have. I'm out of the building business right now. Just in the maintenance and driving phase. Fortunately my 60 Pontiac Bubbletop is a fresh build with all the creature comforts and is a super highway cruiser.

OLSKOOL57 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  5. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

When I first read the title a couple of days ago I thought no I'm not as passionate as I used to be...But this morning as I'm sitting home with a case of Diverticulitiso_O I'm rethinking it...My 57 is in the middle of paint, I'm building a new tunnel rammed 377 for my 37 and I am actively collecting parts for the 58 Apache I bought a few months back, so I guess actions speak louder than words:cool:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  6. Bob, anytime is the right time, especially if it's a good deal. HRP

OLSKOOL57 and Sky Six like this.
  7. chargin03

chargin03

My get up and go got up and left will be 72 next year so I do what I have too.

OLSKOOL57 likes this.
  8. LAROKE

LAROKE

At nearly seventy, I have to constantly fan the flame of my ambition to keep it lit

OLSKOOL57 and Chili Phil like this.
  9. 34Larry

34Larry

Well since it was me, ( I think), that started this, "aches and pain", that is a little off base and somewhat prevalent through this thread, I'll explain why I chose to do so.
    first and foremost I just wanted HRP and others that my answer is, YES, but with reservations, and WHAT those reservations are, AND let HAMBERS know that its okay and to, "stay with it if your able because you love it". I believe to know others of our persuasion can be riding in the same world of "aches and pain", can and will encourage those not there yet, (If ever). BTW the comments of the many wives is also included in this, and that is good also.

tubman there are truly thousands of posts on, The Hamb, that stay on subject. I don't see why you object to discussing health issues, just a little one time, as it is a very large part of our world we love, CARS/HOTRODS/CUSTOMS. Without being healthy, loosing abilities to still be able to do what we do, and discussing it here and for a very short comparative moment of time in and our hot rod/custom passion, brings us just a little closer, through the cyber world with common issues, just like posting our problems with our cars, or pictures of a car show or what ever. AND yes, health can, does and will most certainly affect ones enthusiasm to continue to do so.
    I hope you can appreciate my points, (and the input by so many others posting their points)

34Larry

OLSKOOL57, jammer, trollst and 4 others like this.
  10. Well I have spent my life (nearly all my life actually) with a wrench in my hand. I sometimes get a little washed out but I can always find something to help me get back on my feet.

I don't think that my enthusiasm has gone at all. but like my granddad used to say, "I think that my get up and go has got up and went." I just don't seem to have the drive that I once did.

OLSKOOL57 and trollst like this.
  11. Rocky I used to really want a model 40 Ford. It has been my unicorn for decades. Now I don't want one at all, I just want yours. :D

OLSKOOL57 and lumpy 63 like this.
  12. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

I worked all day Saturday on project. couldn't hardly move on Sunday. Mind says i still love them.My body, not so much................
    This will be a long running thread................

OLSKOOL57 and deucemac like this.
  13. Deuces

Deuces

For me, it never dies....;)

14. Been a car enthusiast since the mid-1950s. I backed away from the hobby for nearly twenty years while raising a family, but the enthusiasm did not die. Retired for a couple decades, I have the time to do what I want, but not always the energy. I am getting my 51 repainted now and am working with the painter on bits and pieces. From age 64-70, I rebuilt my first car, doing all but paint and upholstery, and helping out in both of those areas as well.

The car bug is firmly imbedded, but energy to express it varies over time.

OLSKOOL57 and Deuces like this.
  15. chop job

chop job
    from Wisconsin
    1. WISCONSON HAMBERS

You bet I do and even MORE !

16. At 67, like most of the graybeards on here, I suffer from arthritis, seven fused vertebrae etc... I still put about five hours working on the "T" today.
    Enthusiastic as I ever was!!!

17. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

HRP, Thanks for this thread. Thought I was the only one in this boat of old age and hot rods. I think the best thing we can do is keep on keeping on if only all we have is memories. We should all be thankful we live in the USA where hot rodding was started and is still going today. I can't imagine life without it or JESUS. Go to church Sunday...…………..

OLSKOOL57, Deuces, RDR and 2 others like this.
  18. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

YEP STILL LOVING IT.
    I am doing my best to keep my son interested.
    I have the 61 wagon that is having fuel issues now. DSCN3970.JPG

I am just getting this back on the road Easter Sunday was the first time it was driven since 85.
    My dad bought it in 76 596B6532-DED6-42D6-93A8-28D0D8701CA0.jpeg 5EF25B2F-3E91-4AF8-A770-6DB8BCFFDCBE.jpeg

OLSKOOL57, jammer, 270283 and 4 others like this.
  19. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I totally understand wanting to just see somebody "weld something...pleeeease"...as I read here recently. Lol.
    But we share a lot here...not just the nuts and bolts.
    Threads like this serve a good purpose, I think.
    Even at just short of 62 and having experienced some life "challenges" as they're sometimes referred to, it's quite clear to me that there are many here who's "challenges" would've probably broken me. I have great respect for all of you who simply do what needs to be done...regardless of personal pain...and still find a way to have a little fun with these cool old toys of ours.
    So the sharing makes me feel almost stronger...and more appreciative for what I do have...right now. If you call "enthusiasm" being keenly aware that I better move my ass before I can't do this anymore...then yes...I'm very enthusiatic...lol.
    Seeing everybody's projects is endlessly inspiring and definitely helps to increase my ENTHUSIASM!!!
    I rely on everyone who contributes here.
    Sure beats trying to do this stuff by myself.

20. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Very well said.

21. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I was staring at my keyboard trying to think of something that hasn't been said already.
    I am in the same boat as many, suckey health (Leukemia), low energy level. I do now that two years ago I made a right decision, my wife has a 50 Ute that is down with suspension problems, a promised 30 sedan that was to be her hot rod, I knew I would have trouble getting her driving again. So after we stopped by a friend who is a builder and he showed us a new finished project - a 28 roadster with a simple 302/700 R4 eight inch etc. I scrapped money and bought it for her, it has been her daily driver and she tells all that will listen about her great husband that gave her the best Anniversary (37 years at the time) Present ever, I have been good for gifts since then.
    So that leaves me time for the land speed roadster, land speed truck and the 200 mph tank,,,,,,,, and my 40
    But on the sad side it looks like this might be the last year for the World's Fastest Calendar.

OLSKOOL57, Deuces and trollst like this.
  22. Dan Phillips

Dan Phillips

@ almost 71 yrs old I still enjoy the build as much as I did when 17 (damn numbers got crossed up ?) although finding the parts & todays prices kinda cast a bit of a dark shadow. I live in a place that still has some beautiful back country to enjoy (freeways suck) and only thing worse than the freeways are the car shows. I keep meeting nice hot rodders (young & old ) so that part kinda keeps it alive for me. and still nothing like seeing a rod coming @ you in the opposite direction. yeah times they are a changing in many ways , but i'll mess with this old stuff til I can't !
    and a special thanks to the hamb for all they do for our passion & traditional rods.....dan

Jake H., Deuces and OLSKOOL57 like this.
  23. Having my prostate removed Thursday (Cancer). Good news, they tell me I will pee like I was 16 again after operation.:p I will try that bark thing and let you know.:D

alanp561, Petejoe, Deuces and 4 others like this.
  24. ken bogren

ken bogren

My better 7/8 is more enthusiastic than I. It's spring here in the midwest and probably once a day she asks when I'm getting the Falcon out of the garage and on the road. That's been going on since it hit 50 degrees one day a couple weeks ago.

She really likes the Falcon because she likes to watch people watch us as I slip her bulky wheeled walker in the back seat, even with the top up on the car. Well that's just one of the reasons.

She plans our summer travels so we can be home for the 50s in St. Paul. Her enthusiasm for this stuff motivates me to keep on going.

25. pkhammer

pkhammer

I still have the desire but as with many of you the energy level isn't what it used to be. 35 years ago I couldn't wait to get off work, meet my buddies at the garage and wrench on our cars all evening. Now when I get get home from work all I want to do is eat dinner and rest. I do get in the garage still a few hours per week and my hope is that when I retire I'll still have the health and ability to spend more time on my projects.
    It does make a difference too not having the buddies to wrench with anymore, that was a big part of the fun. The closest thing I have to wrenching pals these days is right here on the HAMB and I thank you guys for that, it helps me keep my enthusiasm.
    For the most part other than the occasional gout attack I have pretty good health. My heart goes out to you all that have suffered from serious health problems and the loss of loved ones.

Deuces and OLSKOOL57 like this.
  26. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I still love it, but I will say "adult" responsibilities take precedent over the cars often times, and that's a bummer. It's just the responsible thing to do, and there's nothing wrong with that. It's been a while since I was able to roll my car out "finished" in 2010 and while I've been continuously wrenching on projects, I don't have much to show in the past 9 years from an automotive sense. But, without meaning to brag, I've been pretty busy with other stuff. In that time, I graduated law school, passed 2 bars, got admitted to practice and two years ago became a partner. My wife and I bought our first house, totally gutted it and renovated it ourselves, sold it, and bought another beautiful home in a scenic area in Jersey. I paid off six-figure student loan debt and all our cars. And as of 8 months ago, I added the title of "dad", as well. So while I'm not rolling out a new car every year or two, I've been using what little free time I have for other projects of importance. It is what it is.

I make it a point to get out to shows, especially the Detroit Autorama. Being around it gets the creative juices flowing and recharges me when I've been out of the game too long. I love watching my friends get involved in amazing builds and build their skills. I'm not in competition with them, but it's inspiring to watch and to want to learn and build on their level. My buddy Russ used to help out as a shop hand when my car was getting painted, now he's the body and paint guy for Rob Ida and the Tucker he painted is competing and winning on prestigious concourses. That kind of stuff gets me going, makes me want to be better, and keeps the coffee warm, so to speak.

OLSKOOL57, alanp561, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  27. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks '57Joe, that was uplifting to read, best of luck to you and the family! Bob

OLSKOOL57, Deuces and 57JoeFoMoPar like this.
  28. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

29. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

When I was a little kid, I always wanted to sit by the window in a restaurant so I could watch the cars go by. I still find myself doing this.