Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical LaSalle transmission help needed!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by dwollam, Apr 22, 2019.

1. dwollam

dwollam

I am trying to find a front driveshaft yoke that will fit my '41 or later LaSalle transmission. Several people have said it uses the common PowerGlide/turbo 350/manual trans GM yoke but no dice! Shaft is 1.375"x16 spline. I'm not a GM guy so those things are foreign to me, don't want to just buy parts that don't fit and I don't have the info to figure it out! This is going in my '33 Plymouth PD Coupe w/331 hemi and the LaSalle trans. I now have clutch disc, pressure plate, T/O bearing and fork and now it's time for a drive shaft. Can ya help me figure it out guys?

Thanks,
    Dave

2. squirrel

squirrel

There were two different yokes used on powerglides, they started at coarse spline, changed to fine spline in the mid 60s. Also the manual transmissions had the same yoke, and same change.

So you need a 55-64ish yoke, not a later fine spline TH350 yoke

(but I'm assuming your info is correct that the Chevy yokes will fit that trans, I dont know for sure)

Torkwrench and LOU WELLS like this.
  3. dwollam

dwollam

OK Jim, that helps. If the early PG is large enough. I'll check into it.

Thanks,
    Dave

4. F&J

F&J

1950 Olds used a short tail Cad/Las trans for only that one year. @vtwhead found that a 50 Olds 4-speed Hydramatic uses the same yoke, so I looked in my Olds parts books and that yoke fit all the way back to 1940 Olds Hydramatics.

I'm not sure on two things, I don't know if your spline is same as the Cad/LaS trans used in the 50 Olds. And I don't recall when the Olds Hydramatic yoke changed to much larger spline size...it was either in 51 or 52. It won't be easy to find one to try, which sucks.

dwollam likes this.

5. Try your local drive shaft shop. They make drive shafts, and have some yokes in stock, as well as what is available.

Torkwrench and dwollam like this.
  6. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

I just took a early powerglide out of a car complete with the yolk I can measure it when I get to work this morning

dwollam likes this.
  7. dwollam

dwollam

Thanks for the replies, guys. It all helps.

Dave

8. RDR

RDR

Dave,
    I have 2 Cad boxes in my storage trailer. Can check for yokes on them and will get back with you by this afternoon.
    Randy

dwollam likes this.
  9. dwollam

dwollam

Thanks Randy!

Dave

10. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Following. I've got the same trans I need to find a yoke for.

After reading the first few replies I was beginning to think this was going to be the first "yoke" thread where nobody spelled it like the yellow part of an egg. Then it happened.....

Torkwrench and oldengine like this.
  11. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

1556053393342468188162.jpg here's the one I got it measures 1 and 1/2 outside diameter and is the 16 spline.

Attached Files:

RDR likes this.
  12. RDR

RDR

Dave,
    Sorry but no yokes on trans. Thought I would have a driveshaft from early iron Glide out of my '34 Pickup but nothing in the storehouse..May have went to scrap?
    Any way..The yoke you need is a Spicer # 2-3-1331x ; 1.172 x 16 spline shaft 1 1/2' O.D.@ seal area. (1310 series)
    Wheeltramp has one and that is what you need.
    Summit has one also...Pt # SDH 2-3-1331x , $ 97.99.
    ( They had the yoke I needed this month for a 5 speed Chevy box I'm putting in the '50 Fleetline, unfortunately I ordered it from Jegs with some other stuff and B/O....after three weeks called and canceled went to summit and had it next day !)
    RR

13. dwollam

dwollam

Randy, both mine measure 1.375 16 spline. I will take it to Newhouse next week and see if they can build me a driveshaft and get a yoke.

Thanks,
    Dave

RDR likes this.
  14. Eddie

Eddie
    from Georgia

Dwollam and EBBSPEED
    I have one, and only one, of the yoke you need, see pics. Out of well over a dozen various Cad/Lasalle transmissions I've had, this is the only one I ever came across. Shaft OD is 1.375, yoke OD is 1.684, 16 spline. Excellent condition but u-joint needs replacing. $250.00 shipped by USPS to 48 states.
    As to the rumor about the Chevy yokes fitting 50 Olds transmissions. It is just that, a rumor. While they appear to be the same visually, the Chevy yoke has a slightly smaller ID and the teeth are cut differently, different shape that is. I never tried it, but it may be possible to cut/ream the ID slightly and make it work but with the mis-matched tooth shape would probably cause premature wear. Eddie 478-967-3362

Attached Files:

dwollam likes this.
  15. Paul

Paul
    Editor

couple more part numbers and pictures for you,
    this is my last spare yoke, just pulled from a late Cad LaSalle 3 speed transmission
    gives you something to work with in your search anyway

20190424_102714.jpg 20190424_102725.jpg 20190424_102959.jpg 20190424_103039.jpg

dwollam, kadillackid and Torkwrench like this.
  16. dwollam

dwollam

Eddie, thanks for the reply and info and the offer and I hate to say it but that's out of my price range. It appears I am searching for the Holy Grail huh?

Dave

17. Eddie

Eddie
    from Georgia

No problem at all. Please understand that without this yoke, my trans. is deemed only good for parts. If you can stand the shipping from GA, you can have both for $300.00. Eddie

18. dwollam

dwollam

Drive shaft solved! I went to Newhouse Mfg. in Redmond OR yesterday and took one of my LaSalle trans with me and armed with full measurements for yoke, shaft length, ujoints, the works. I mentioned about the 16 spline 1.375 slip yokes like on 4x4 driveshafts with the screw on caps so he grabbed one and we tried it and the spline was perfect but the outside was too large. Plan was to turn it down to the correct size and build a shaft as well. They called me back within an hour with a quote of $391.40 parts and labor for the whole shebang. I told them to go for it. They said it would be ready the next day! At 9:10 am today they called me and said it was ready. Off to Redmond I went, taking my early Hemi flywheel with me to have it turned at the machine shop while I was in town. Picked up drive shaft and was very pleased! Took flywheel to Stipe Machine and said I was going to Bend for awhile and if possible could he do it today? Yes! Came back couple hours later at noon and it was done. I had went to a friends estate sale and picked up a bunch of old car goodies and tools. Good deals galore! He is in a nursing home now.

Drive shaft was a perfect fit and looks great. From the back of the trans seal to center of rear ujoint is only 30 3/4".

Temporarily mounted flywheel to double check starter gear alignment, no surprises there thank goodness. Did a few little things here and there trying to cross items off my list. Will take some pics tomorrow. I'm feeling like light at the end of the tunnel!

Thanks to all that responded with measurements, suggestions, encouragement and likes.

Dave

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    Rich B., RDR, alchemy and 3 others like this.
  19. good news Dave! for the record could you post the part number of the yoke and manufacturer's name to help the next fella down the line?

dwollam and Paul like this.
  20. Have to love it when you have a day, where everything goes your way. Good luck with the rest of the build.

dwollam likes this.
  21. dwollam

dwollam

Okay, here is a part number and dimensions on the yoke BEFORE machining.

N2-3-8021KX YOKE SLIP 1310 SER. 1.375 X 16
    7.875 LONG

No idea on the brand but I found the same thing on a Spicer website. Several different lengths available. I will measure later and let ya know the finished length. I cut an additional 1" off to be able to install it as it was bottoming off inside and lot allowing the rear ujoint to fit.

Dave

Last edited: May 3, 2019
    Paul likes this.
  22. christmas tree

christmas tree

Quit wasting time dreaming about Chevy working, they will not.

23. dwollam

dwollam

Yep, that's the conclusion I came to. I have to wonder, where did all the LaSalle front yokes go? Seems to be more than plenty transmissions but almost no yokes. Funny how that happens.

Dave

24. RDR

RDR

Dave,
    That was a n2-3-8012kx...Not a n2-3-8021kx ?....Just to verify !
    Thanks,
    Randy

25. Tetanus

Tetanus

Ya, i googled it i think the numbers are transposed nothing shows up for 8012kx ????

26. dwollam

dwollam

Good catch Randy! 8021 it is. Must be my less-dyxia! I mean dyslexia!

Corrected above,
    Thanks.

Dave

RDR likes this.
  27. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Not to be off topic. This is what I want to do! What adapter are using and do you have any part numbers for the clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing. Thanks.[​IMG]

28. dwollam

dwollam

Is yours a '51-'53 extended bell or a later engine? Adapters are way different. Mine is the extended bell.

Dave

29. dwollam

dwollam

Here are some pics of the yoke and drive shaft as promised.

Dave

20190502_174109.jpg 20190502_174140.jpg 20190503_133748.jpg 20190503_133805.jpg 20190503_133815.jpg

30. RDR

RDR

Nice job, they turned down a driveline slip yoke, making a transmission slip yoke, and finished up with the complete driveline....
    Great to have a local business that can, 'Getter Done'
    Where there is a will there is a Way ! Carry on Dave !!
    [​IMG]

51 mercules and dwollam like this.