Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Do you still have that same enthusiasm you use to have -

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Apr 22, 2019.

1. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I really hate threads like this. I'm on here to learn stuff from guys that have "been there, done that". This "personal angst" crap doesn't help anyone. I'm on here to learn useful stuff, not to discuss someone's personal problems. Let's get back on track.

stillrunners and Montana1 like this.
  2. trollst

trollst

Bandit Billy, thats what I had, a widow maker like yours, I also was fortunate to live through it. Life is to be lived buddy, the rest of you, thanks for the kind words, we been married 39 years, going for more. Tubman.....all I can say is....you just wait, no one is immune.

3. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll give the same answer I gave on a similar question once upon a time. No, I'm not at the end but I can see it from here. I'm finishing up on a '37 Chevy coupe and I have a '54 Dodge pickup in pieces.

There are some days that I'm a little sorry I started on the old Dodge but I will finish it. It just will take a little while longer. If I do it right I will be really ready to stop this stuff when the truck is done.

I'd say that at 71 I'm soon going to be a better driver than builder. In answer to your question: My enthusiasm and my physical ability are still about equal. It would be nice to zero the two out at the same time.

deucemac and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. This is a public forum, the question has been ask and it seems most of the replies are the passion is still there, just some health issues slowing guys down, getting old is mandatory, giving up is easy and I haven't seen any indication of that in this thread.

I seem to remember a thread you post about having trouble with arthritis not too long ago and I honestly don't remember anyone complaining about it. HRP

5. Electrophobia is the fear of electricity. The origin of the word electro is Greek (meaning electricity) and phobia is Greek (meaning fear). Electrophobia is considered to be a specific phobia, which is discussed on the home page.
    Electrophobia - electricity fear, electricity phobia ... - Common Phobias

common-phobias.com/Electro/phobia.htm

Just sayin'..................

HOTRODPRIMER and The37Kid like this.
  6. Yes
    Grandpaw said we have plenty of time to rest when we die

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  7. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

I still play with cars... Prefer to play with my '40 Ford. My budget says no, so I fixed that and got a part time job. Getting back on track here, every day I try to do something to it, no matter how small or large. Sooner or later it'll be back on the road. Thankfully I'm not having all the health problems that many seem to be having, but I'm working on those to!

deucemac and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  8. Slopok

Slopok

Not if it's an electric fence!:eek:

9. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

I Must Have Some Enthusiasm Left Or I Would Not Be Changing The Clutch On Stove Bolt At Age 71. DSCN2058.JPG

jammer, 54EARL, ct1932ford and 9 others like this.
  10. X-cpe

X-cpe

Let me quote an old farmer in National Geographic, "I work just as hard as I used to, but I just don't get as much done anymore." I've got three projects. The coupster I've had for more than half my life and drove for four years in the early nineties, before I decided to make a few small improvements and the 'while you're at its' bit me in the ass. In the eighties it got backwatered while I built my house. In the late eighties I finally got my dream truck from high school days, a 57 Chevy PU. Then there is the MGB that was going to be my 42 year old daughter's first car. All these have been put on hiatus at various times for various reasons. Building a garage so I could work on and store them, finishing the basement, a new room and porch on the back of the house, a carport on the front for the DD's, a former student and friend coming by and asking, "Want to go racing?", and new flooring, painting, bathrooms and kitchen in my now 33 year old 'new' house. I still have my enthusiasm and desire to finish them, but they are what they always have a been and will be. My therapy toys!

redoxide, j3harleys, deucemac and 2 others like this.
  11. Boatmark

Boatmark

I just turned 55, and I’m as crazy about cars as I ever was. HAMB friendly or brand new I’ve never owned a car that I didn’t modify in one way or another. I guess my tastes have changed with age, I tend to want simpler projects that I can actually accomplish - I try to be realistic about what time, money, and life will allow. I put an 18 month limit on myself - no more five year bit off more than I should chew projects.
    (After I finish my OT Corvette project )

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. Boatmark

Boatmark

That’s the risk of of a hobby becoming a livelihood. I’m in the Marine Industry. I’ve loved boats since my age was in single digits. But in my free time I am more likely to be working on a Hot Rod project than messing with a boat.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I still like the cars as much as when I was a kid.

HOTRODPRIMER, deucemac and Montana1 like this.
  14. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Still have the interest and enjoy the hobby-at 76 not as fast as before but still "git er done". Finished a 40 std coupe about 5 weeks ago which kept me busy for a few months. Then a 39 woody. It had the running gear installed but not finished. I was just supposed to wire and do AC-ended up doing it all. Two tough weeks-actually 15 days at 8-10 hrs a day-I was a bit tired after that. Now after a couple of weeks I'm off to look at some 40's this week--guess I'm not near done yet. Keeps me occupied.

15. "You only live once"

WRONG - you live EVERY DAY and only die ONCE.

I try to keep this in mind every day. Get with it gang, as best as you can ;)

redoxide, reefer, williebill and 6 others like this.
  16. 48stude

48stude

At 68, I go to the garage pretty near every day and work on my roadster. When I wake in the morning, I think my body has a contest as to which part will be aching the most. This roadster is probably my last full build. Simple things that use to take five minutes to do now takes me at least thirty. I have found that the older I get the more I understand the definition of the word " perseverance" :confused: Bill

17. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

18. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

Yep, at 68,
    mind says Lets do that and body says...Noooooooo.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  19. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

HRP at 70 I don't really feel that old. I can't do things as fast as I did at 40, but still love old cars and always will. I am thankful that I have some one in my life that enjoys cars too. We spent several days last week cleaning the convertible, after we had washed the car Theresa asked if we could take it for a drive before waxing it and cleaning chrome. Life is so good.

Chili Phil, HOTRODPRIMER and deucemac like this.
  20. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Enthusiasm yes. Stamina no. 6 house of bodywork today. What doesn't hurt I can't even feel.

21. lake_harley

lake_harley

I'm among the many 60-somethings who have replied. In my teens and 20's I had a Chevy II that was pretty cool, and built a 40 Ford Tudor, well at least to the point it was driveable and licensed. Over the years, after getting married (34 years and still loving it), we had weekend lake homes, boats, was in and out of motorcycling (have 4 now), built an airplane, and now back into hot rods. My son and I built a '23 T roadster about 12 or so years ago and just last Winter I finally went through it, and cleaned and painted everything like should have been done much sooner.

I'm working on a '31 coupe right now and am just as happy as a lark working on it. Thinking of starting another T roadster of some sort, even though the A is still "in-process". I love fabricating things and see building another T as a good excuse to cut, grind and weld stuff when the A gets boring or comes to a pause for any reason.

That's a lot of background to say "Yes" I still have enthusiasm. Enjoy today. Tomorrow will take care of itself.

Lynn

deucemac likes this.
  22. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

Just about 76 and spend lots of time in the garage. Still look forward to building hot rods . No problems with doing stuff like I always have. Get a kick out of driving my last build ( 29 roadster) to coffee in the morning to see the boys.

HOTRODPRIMER and deucemac like this.
  23. The37Kid

The37Kid

This could start another thread, at what time is it OK to buy someones finished project?

Bob

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  24. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I got the 38 Chevy back on the road after over 30 years of being a garage queen, doing a bunch of work on a chopped 49 Ford (that I lost a bunch of money on and was glad to see it go) sold the Vette and the motor cycle (bad shoulder ruined the fun of riding) I decided a few years ago to build another car. I had hoped to buy a Model A touring car to hot rod but the guy was even older than me and didn't want some kid to make a got rod out of it. Finally decided to build a Studebaker and a couple of years ago picked up one. I am almost 75 and still don't know as much as I'd like but I can't believe I am living this good and still having fun:)

25. lake_harley

lake_harley

I'd certainly hope it's always OK to buy someone else's finished project. It's not like it would be trading wives or anything. I'm kinda lukewarm interested in finding the right "beater", daily driver, mildly hot-rodded pickup.

Lynn

HOTRODPRIMER and The37Kid like this.
  26. gene-koning

gene-koning

I just retired at 62 last Oct. I'm in the finishing stages of what I thought was my last ever build (that would be the 2nd last ever), but we (my wife and I) have discovered we don't fit very comfortably in the late 30s pickup. We tend to drive our old cars & trucks a lot, comfort is a pretty high priority.

Next week we (my wife is going with me) are off to pick up another project, this one is a late 40s pickup, they are bigger then the one we now have. This one is going to be my last build (that is getting easier to say then to do, this will be the 3rd last build).

I have slowed down from my younger days, but the slower pace seems to be more enjoyable. Being retired removes a lot of the feeling like something has to get done in a hurry. A slower pace allows you more time to enjoy everything.

My wife and I have really enjoyed taking the blue and white coupe on vacations. We don't do much interstate, mostly state highways, and we limit how much driving we do in a day. It is very fun and relaxing. Every food, gas, or any other reason to stop, tends to be a conversation point with smiling people we have just met.

I would say I have the same amount of enthusiasm with the old car hobby as I had when I was younger, but its different now, a bit slower, but more enjoyable. I no longer feel like I have to prove anything to any one, like I did when I was younger. Gene

27. raven

raven

Rocky, You’re my hero.
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

jammer and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  28. She says I do.........

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  29. Oldb

Oldb

I have always liked cars. Although other than engines and suspension mods I have never "built one" from the ground up. With the girls out of college and married and retirement coming in 2020 I started on my first real build, a 56 F100 around four years ago, built a A frame hoist, a pair of super heavy rotisseries and a frame table and then I started on the frame. Just setting the engine and transmission into it now. Making all my own brackets and mounts, boxing the frame etc. etc. really enjoying it. Only get the winter months to do serious all weekend work on it. But when retirement comes I can really spend some time.

B

30. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

For me it has always been about finding/buying parts. I love the seeking out and finding the gems. My passion is for old vintage parts, signs and antiques. Love the old autos ,but it is the parts that get my blood flowing.