Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 12v conversion

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by MurderCityMerc, Apr 22, 2019.

1. MurderCityMerc

MurderCityMerc

Happy Monday hope everyone had a great easter! Was wondering what you think a fair price is for a 6 to 12v conversion done be a garage. Was it night and day for those who have done it? Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. greybeard360

greybeard360

What are you working on????

MurderCityMerc likes this.
  3. MurderCityMerc

MurderCityMerc

50 mercury 6v positive ground sorry forgot to mention that part!

4. Very little Parts, but lots of time. It's really something you can tackle yourself over a weekend.

5. 12-volt generator or alternator (better IMO), replace the bulbs, step down the voltage for the gauges. The starter will be okay, it’ll just wake up a bit. Heater blower might be an issue, I’m not sure (I don’t have one).

I could be forgetting something, but it can’t be much. You can do the job in your driveway.

MurderCityMerc likes this.
  6. MurderCityMerc

MurderCityMerc

Thank you guys i just have a bit of a health issue so its a bit hard for me to really get elbow into the car if you will lol thats why i was curious what a job would cost.

7. dave plmley

dave plmley

The last one I did on a 46 Ford was around $600 for parts, that included battery, alternator, bulbs, voltage reducers, Petronics conversion kit new plugs and wires, some switches and electric fan

8. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Perhaps there is a HAMBER near you who can help you. Where is Murder City?

9. 63galaxie406

63galaxie406

Depending on what the shop charges per hour. Shops here in sunny Calif. charge $125-up per man hour. So figure about $600 for parts if the wiring is good. Plus the labor. A minimum of 16 hours labor.

10. You didn't mention, so, if the vehicle hasn't been rewired in the past you are dealing with wire that is near 70 years old. By now, if original, that old cloth covered wire will be deteriorating. Just switching a 6 volt system to 12 volt is a considerably smaller job than making the voltage switch along with a complete rewiring.

Just food for thought, but it might be a good idea to asses what is there (condition wise) before deciding what all to do, if you haven't already done so.