Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Looking for a station wagon project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bruce Fischer, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Okay, my friends Larry and Dave were camping with me at the family farm. As we left Sunday morning to head back to town, Larry decided to throw a leftover egg at a pickup heading in the opposite direction just as it was going through a one-lane underpass below a railroad. The egg went into the truck's vent window and all over the inside of the windshield and dash. It happened too quickly for Dave and I to stop Larry. We took off north, as fast as a 170-cubic-inch slant six could take us. The pickup truck couldn't turn around until he was on the other side of the underpass, so we got a head start. By six miles, he was definitely catching up, and we were slowed by three cars in front of us in hilly terrain. I tried to pass on the hill and found a Mercury Comet popping up from the next valley, headed straight for us. I hit the brakes and got . . . nothing, so I ditched to the left, down and back up the ditch, between a hackberry tree and a hedge fencepost, over the low barbed wire fence and into a tall cornfield. Behind us the cars were screeching and skidding all over the road as the pickup came over the hill to find a traffic mess, but no sign of our red car. Meanwhile, we were deep in the cornfield, hidden and scared to death he would find us and - justifiably - beat the hell out of all three of us. After laying low among the corn stalks for 45 minutes, we finally drove out, breaking through the fence and scratching the Valiant's paint.
    The three of us should have died that day, either from the head-on or the impending beat down. Dave died in his mid-30s from heart disease (obese, heavy smoker) and Larry never made it to 60, succumbing to brain cancer after a long battle. I just turned 70, and have lived on that old farm since 1975. The underpass was filled in less than two years after the incident and the highway moved a quarter mile east.
    Bruce, sorry for detouring a legitimate effort to find you a long-roof. Now back to regularly scheduled programming.

2. belair

belair

Did that wagon have a Confederate flag on the roof?

osage orange likes this.
  3. No "Dukes of Hazard" branding, just three boneheads inside.

nochop likes this.
  4. RMONTY

RMONTY

Friggin hoodlums in Station Wagons....who'd a thunk it!?

RDR, Bruce Fischer and osage orange like this.
  5. GOOD story. Sounds like 1 of mine back in the day. LOL. Bruce.

osage orange likes this.
  6. sololobo

sololobo

I see a little MoPar jones there. A 56 Plymouth tu-door Suburban project is sitting in Omaha waiting for someone to finish up. I sold it a few years back and it has changed hands a couple times since. But now it is just sitting. Let me know if any interest and I will get you a phone #, sololobo

Bruce Fischer and osage orange like this.
  7. sololobo

sololobo

8. sololobo

sololobo

9. That was quick, shortly after I posted the link the wagon was sold. HRP

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  10. TomT likes this.
  11. Bruce_C

Bruce_C

12. RMONTY

RMONTY

13. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

How about a 46 Chevy suburban carryall needing everything ???????

14. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With the new Craigslist rules I'm not seeing near as many potential long roofs for you out here in SoCal.

15. jhexide

jhexide
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

16. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry Bruce but I kept looking for you, found this one, but I bought it. Bringing it home Monday. Details to follow in another post but it runs and drives (12 volts for the engine only) 00D0D_aYyEwwGu4ru_1200x900.jpg 00Z0Z_6fPw8pQqwnJ_1200x900.jpg