Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Brought a car home that was built by one of my heroes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crocodile, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Crocodile

Crocodile

In the thread about "what is your car culture", I mentioned how I had idolized a few of my Father's friends who used to drive their hot rods/street rods to the shop when I was a kid. One of them was Glenn "Bob" Thorne, who passed from cancer in early 2015. Bob had a 33 Ford Tudor Deluxe sedan, which he had bought in his teens. In the summer, it was pretty much his daily driver.
    I was fortunate enough to be able to buy his 33 from his widow a couple of weeks ago, with his best friend making the sale on her behalf, since she has moved out of state to a warmer climate. Today, I drove her home, about a 40 mile trip.
    While not entirely HAMB friendly, there is plenty about this car that fits in here, and I hope it is okay to share it.
    Bob's 33 home 4-20-19.jpg Bob's 33 home 2  4-20-19.jpg
    It has a 2" chop, and the roof is filled with a 58 Ford roof section, which has the narrow, inset beads/ribs. I think from a wagon. I know it took him a while to find the donor.
    The stance is really sinister looking, and it has a full set of Kelsey-Hayes "stripper" wheels.
    Pics are from when I pulled into the drive this morning, not even washed yet from sitting since last summer.
    I am quite honored to look after his machine.

2. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

Great looking car. You have to be proud.
    It’s your car now and don’t let anyone tell you how you should live your life.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang and 0NE BAD 51 MERC like this.
  3. manyolcars

manyolcars

Looks good

4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In a While @Crocodile You Will Get a 33
    That'll
    Make You Smile
    Every Driven Mile

;)

May Your Fathers Friend Rest in Peace...Congrats...SO
    when are the Pie Crusts, Solids or Wires, Caps & Rings
    going on?

Have fun with it!!

Crocodile and harpo1313 like this.
  5. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Very impressive, I must say I've seen those wheels at any stage previously, magnesium?

Sent from my SM-T355Y using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. jim snow

jim snow

Good stuff. Snowman

7. 2935ford

2935ford

We like '33 sedans! :)

mgtstumpy likes this.
  8. 56shoebox

56shoebox

I've never seen those wheels before, they're cool. They look Game of Thrones-ish. I'd keep them.

mgtstumpy likes this.
  9. alchemy

alchemy

Nice car, cool history, rare wheels. Love it!

Crocodile likes this.
  10. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Crocodile did you inquire about historic pictures of the Hotrod in its earlier days with or prior to the Late Owners acquiring it?

I mean that is one thing about vintage period hotrods. When you can get those pics it helps put things back to a previous time which in many cases improves later evolutionary sins...

12. Beautiful car, congratulations & let the good times roll. HRP

13. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like stories like this, where a nice older build goes to a person who appreciates the history as well as the car.
    That's a beautiful chop, I'm not a fan of mail slots.
    Not a fan of Supertrapps either, but that's just me...

Crocodile likes this.
  14. Crocodile

Crocodile

Stogy, I did get a stack of pictures with the car from one of it's low points. Around 1984 or so, a deer jumped out in front of him, and in the process of trying to avoid it, he put it backwards into a tree really hard, caving in the driver's rear quarter. most folks thought it was totalled. I was up to his shop with my Dad when he was starting to work on the damage, and wondered if it could live again.
    At that time, it had been stock roof height, with a cloth insert. He got it back into shape, drove it for a summer or two with the rear in red primer, and the chop, and filled roof happened before it was painted again.
    There is one or two old polaroids of it before all of that fiasco. If I can get ahold of a scanner, I will add some of them later.
    As far as I know, it was a stock 33 when he got it, prior to his Vietnam era service. It was a labor of love throughout his lifetime. I think it was first put back on the road around 1970, and was in basically the same configuration when it was wrecked.
    I remember, from that visit after the deep incident, my Dad saying, "I bet you wish you had hit the deer instead, rather than this." He kind of shrugged, smiled, and said "I saved all the hard to find shit!". Kind of funny, considering how many more grilles, etc, were around back then, yet they were still scarce.
    I don't really have any desire to change much about the car. Clean up the wiring a little, get rid of the supertrapps, and a few small things, but pretty much keep it as "Bob's car". I have another 33 Tudor sedan shell that I am collecting parts for, and that one will be flatty powered, and more traditional. This one is a nice distance driver, and a reminder of a friend that inspired a lot of who I am.

15. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Neat car; I like the subtle chop. I don't think you mentioned the power. If you don't, I'll probably know what it is.:D

16. Crocodile

Crocodile

I didn't mention it because it's not pre 65, but it has a 351 Cleveland in it. I don't think a guy would have much luck finding anything non-Ford on this one. Bob was 100 percent Blue-oval. The only exception I can think of was that he had a 69-ish GMC 4x4 pickup around for a while as a plow truck and general work beater.

ffr1222k likes this.
  17. Nova Thug

Nova Thug
    from SG Vizzle

I’ve felt that the 33 & 34 Fords had best looking styling in of the early Ford cars.. Simply beautiful lines that are graceful and elegant.

You have a very special piece of your own history that has been part of your life for many years.. Congratulations.!

Crocodile and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  18. suedestude

suedestude

love your car! in 1970 I had a 32 tudor sedan chopped a couple inches. Man I miss that car. Enjoy!!!!

19. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You have my respect, sir.

20. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Fix the exhaust tips, keep the wheels....

j hansen likes this.
  21. tim troutman

tim troutman

good for you nice car

22. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

23. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Very nice car. I like those wheels, never saw those before. Bet they would look good polished.

You're it's caretaker now, treat it so it will still be great years from now.

427 sleeper and Crocodile like this.
  24. The37Kid

The37Kid

Great looking car, it is always nice to read about cars that have a true meaning to the new caretakers. Hope you have fun with it. Bob

Crocodile and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You have an interesting connection to this Hotrod so I understand your desire to keep it specific to its era. It is interesting to see how Hotrodders evolved with their outlook in what they should look like...some never left the Pre 65 style while others carried on with the flow. Its more complex than that of course.

Again enjoy the New Old Wheels and I look forward to your other 33 Tudor build.

Crocodile likes this.
  26. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

That car has a great stance. Your a lucky guy.

Crocodile likes this.
  27. brady1929

brady1929

28. guy1unico

guy1unico

That fellow was real lucky to have a good home for his car..Man I hope to have an individual like you come around in about 30 years;)

Crocodile likes this.
  29. 392

Sweet. I love sedans. The caretaker posts are a perfect way of saying.