Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Just got her - '63 Lincoln convertible

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by jd_texmex, Apr 22, 2019.

1. jd_texmex

jd_texmex

Hello. Have been a reader for years, just now posting. We live in Galveston County, TX, just brought home a 1963 Lincoln Continental convertible. She is pretty much stock; with exception of a Holley four-barrel, everything on the car seems original. We want her to be a solid daily driver, as it will be my wife's car. Put new Cokers on her last week to ensure good tires, and now ready to start technical checks, refreshes. Was thinking to next go through ( 1) cooling system - water pump, hoses, t-stat, ( 2 ) wheel bearings & brakes, ( 3 ) maybe upgrade to throttle body fuel injection...

Question: is this the right list - where to start on ensuring her roadworthiness?

upload_2019-4-22_8-5-7.jpeg
    upload_2019-4-22_8-5-16.jpeg

2. BJR

BJR

Years ago I had a 1964 4 door sedan with rear suicide doors. The biggest thing on that car was the brakes. It's a very heavy car with drum brakes that faded easily. I would try to find a disc brake conversion for the front if I bought another.

3. greybeard360

greybeard360

First thing on the list would be a shop manual. If you have an issue with the windows or top.... you're going to need it !

jd_texmex and Hnstray like this.
  4. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Wow - you've been on here for 10 years and 1st post....

Ok you asked ….Ultimately your car but my opinion - Scratch the Throttle Body Fuel Injection.
    Want to ruin the originality characteristics ERA for that car - that would do it.
    IMHO run the 4 barrel.

Stogy, jd_texmex and egads like this.

5. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Wow!! Nice car.. Nicer house....

6. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Nice car , fi wouldn't gain much over the 4 barrel for the cost involved. Front discs will improve braking by far over drums and maybe curb feelers lol.

LBCD and jd_texmex like this.
  7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Beautiful car! Definitely a Milestone Car and Likely a Modern Classic.

X3 on a Factory Shop Manual!

Also, I agree with those who suggest you do not go with TBI. That factory TBI systems seem to work well enough, but not so much the aftermarket bolt on units.

I was thinking about using one of those until I started talking to and reading about others who have unsatisfactory results. The complaints are mainly poor tech support from makers/vendors and obsolescence as newer models are introduced. Not quite so enthused these days.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    jd_texmex and egads like this.
  8. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Bucket list car for me. Congrats!

Make it stop. Make it go. Make it nice. That is the order I would follow.

jd_texmex and Hnstray like this.
  9. birdman1

birdman1

I had 1 '62. I would keep the drum brakes, but install a dual master cylinder for saftey sake. also new brake hoses and lines if not already done. those massive drum brakes are plenty good to stop that monster, just makes sure to keep them in good repair. Disc brakes suck. also, go buy a new 3310 Holley and new fuel pump. I also installed a electic fuel pump by the tank. These cars are known for vapor lock, especially with todays shit gas. the stock fuel pump is mounted right in the flow of all that heat coming off the radiator and it is also mounted high on the engine adding to the vapor lock problem. If the engine still has the original plastic coated camshaft sprocket, have it replaced with a cast one. Mine stripped the teeth off at 75 MPH and bent 4 pushrods!! It is a very well built car, have fun with it.

Boneyard51, jd_texmex and egads like this.
  10. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

Spectacular. I love those cars. Someday I want to buy one, or an 61-64 Imperial.

jd_texmex likes this.
  11. jd_texmex

jd_texmex

Many thanks to all- was exactly the guidance was looking for!

A quick list of what all was said:
    ( 1 ) Get a shop manual – got it.
    ( 2 ) Stay with 4- barrel; ok. It is working reasonably well for the half dozen drives so far.
    ( 3 ) Stay stock- yep, that is the plan. ( am eyeing a shoebox that will be the non-stock toy)
    ( 4 ) Brake lines- was thinking that replacing the lines would be of some peace-of-mind value; got it.
    ( 5 ) Brake drums vs disks – was thinking to put discs on front, upgrade master cylinder, keep drums on rear. Still pondering.
    ( 6 ) Elec. Fuel Pump near tank – got it.
    ( 7 ) Camshaft sprocket- will investigate.

Many thanks again!

Hnstray likes this.
  12. manyolcars

manyolcars

How does a stock 63 Lincoln convertible belong on a traditional hotrod forum?

13. jd_texmex

jd_texmex

Hi. This is one reason I've been a reader for 10 years and not posted. The thinking was this is the "traditional customs" board and the right place for such. Was that incorrect? thank you.

egads likes this.
  14. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, you're correct, if you intend to customize the car. Do you?

15. BJR

BJR

Those 60's Lincolns had aluminum drums in front with steel liners. Most have been turned down a few times by now and are too thin. When heated up do to too many consecutive stops, or a long down hill mountain road they fade or get egg shaped and pulse. That's why I suggested a disc brake conversion for the front. And of coarse a dual master cylinder.

jd_texmex likes this.
  16. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

It’s fine.
    Great Rag Top.

17. Because it’s a beautiful car that commands respect.

Other then the Chrysler imperial the “ linguine” as I called mine ! Was the luxury car of its time beating out all other from Europe and anywhere else for that matter !!

I would own another in a heartbeat !

18. egads

egads

I was hoping this one would stick around !!! love those monster's.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  19. jd_texmex

jd_texmex

Hi. Recall, just said we replaced the stock tires with Cokers (also in photo). Next, the intention is to ensure roadworthiness. Thereafter, upholstery is next, and beyond in consideration are ( a ) bagging, ( b ) complete repower with modern mill all-the-while preserving general classy look of the ride.

The ideological purists here are interesting (LOL), but whatever.

Again, thanks to the many others for the guidance- was 100% what was needed- you guys are awesome.

20. jd_texmex

jd_texmex

Totally makes sense. We've a local show this weekend (LoneStar Deluxe) and some all nighters this week in preparation are likely in which a brakes inspection and refresh are planned. Thanks for the guidance- truly, sincerely appreciated - was just seeking confirmation of the place to start!

21. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

962C2E8B-FB24-45C3-87CC-053387791C0E.jpeg

22. Not only need it..ITSMANDATORY..there is only eleven solenoids to screw you up.youll also need some paqtience

23. I let the moderators do their job of policing the site. If I don't want to see a particular thing, I do the 'ignore" deal.

Obviously, I'm not "ignoring" this one yet. :rolleyes:

jd_texmex likes this.
  24. jd_texmex

jd_texmex

Yep- agreed. The top works, thankfully the seller had already gone through and refreshed all (I think I counted a total of ~15 solenoids and relays...or thereabouts) but the car came with the convertible top manual.

The service manual for my shovel heads has proven invaluable, is greasy, dog-eared from use... totally sold on 'em. Thanks!

Boneyard51 likes this.
  25. sololobo

sololobo

whoa, what a beautiful ride, love the color. Good luck with the project and congrats on the super score.

Hnstray likes this.
  26. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

That thing IS a custom,,, from the factory.... Very cool.....

Hnstray, VANDENPLAS and belair like this.
  27. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

Welcome, big fan of vintage Continentals. Looks like you picked a winner, congrats.

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  28. belair

belair

Great car. Put the biggest disc brakes on you can find.

29. 296moon

296moon
    from england

Me too............

Nostrebor likes this.
  30. Perry Hvegholm

Perry Hvegholm

I second (third?) the motion for front disc brake conversion. Also, if it has a single circuit master cylinder, ditch it in favor of a dual circuit master.