Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Do you still have that same enthusiasm you use to have -

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Apr 22, 2019.

1. YARD WORK?, I take it back about the other Bob being a sick man, you are a sicko! :D HRP

2. That's what I'm talking about!

You have the car of your dreams and so do I, we like different things but we both love hot rods. HRP

Ron Funkhouser and arkiehotrods like this.
  3. [QUOTE="Roger O'Dell, post: 13049182 Had planned on the LoneStar, but worried about driving that far with rain and crazy drivers. Next year[/QUOTE]
    ROGER,if you make it to LSR,you'll think all the rain was worth it AND we don't drive crazy in Texas
    What chu talkin bout?

4. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Looks like I'm a young'en in the bunch, will turn 60 in a few days. I still love it, but time, money, job and other things really have slowed me down to a crawl the last year or so. Thinking of retiring at 62 if I can get everything paid off by then, maybe work two or three days a week for spending money for a year or two. 35 years in a truck seat has worn me down so it takes me forever to do anything any more. My self imposed deadline to get my car back on the road has come and past a couple of times, and it's going to pass again this year, just don't have the time and money to do what I need to do right now. But it ain't going anywhere, it's in my carport shop, and will be there when I get back to it....

5. F&J

F&J

Maybe trade it for a useable 40s-50s pickup or station wagon so you can haul stuff from tag sales or the Elephants Trunk flea market, and go to the dump or Home Depot? Just a survivor one, or beater-patina one that sits in the driveway so you will jump in and drive that when you just need to go buy coffee or eggs? It's never too late to drive a vintage daily and get to meet 1000s of new people wherever you stop.

hotrodharry2 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  6. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks! Cash and Pickup, I never thought of that, had a great time driving the '56 home from California in 1975. Bob

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  7. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

I still love cars and bikes, I love to look at other guy's creations but now, in my 70's, my body can't do what my mind wants to do. Now when I get on a creeper, I nod off and when I do come to... I can't get up.
    Sounds like we are all in the same boat.:D

8. Old cars and trucks. I didn't think there was anything else to be enthusiastic about. I don't take the little blue pills so the women are safe. What else is there?

9. upspirate

upspirate

I'm losing my enthusiasm.
    It started when I had problems getting everyday driver insurance...way different than in the '80's when my cars were everyday drivers and had no problems getting everyday driver insurance.
    Different wife now that is not into them.
    Health is going downhill slowly, so it's difficult to work on them.
    Too many other interests (fixing up our sailboat to go semi-extended cruising, kayaks, powerboat)
    Now we are retired at 65 , debt-free, good enough financially (hopefully)
    I still see them on the road and think maybe..... but reality sets in and I realize it's not a top priority anymore

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

At 74 yo I am as excited as the first time I saw Kookies hot rod on tv. Now when I work on my coupe I think about it a lot so I won't have to do it but once......The flame still burns cause it's fanned by the HAMB!!!!!

redoxide, jammer, deucemac and 5 others like this.
  11. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

I think you just described a lot of us on here!

12. I hear ya brother! HRP

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  13. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

My dad carried his love of old cars to his last days. Even had a 32 and checkered flags on his gravestone.

14. trollst

trollst

Good question Danny, maybe for me...your best. Always been enthusiastic, till three months ago,, actually, really three years ago. Then, a widowmaker I survived, took some of my steam, but got most of it back, but three months ago the old lady went in for a colonoscopy, ended up taking out half her guts, two and a half months in hospital an hour and a half from here. Sometimes....I like to kill her, but after this round I realised what life would be like with out her, you know, dancing girls, clubbing like a young man, having a friend with benefits, having the boys over for beers all the time....you know, the good old days.
    BUT, I'm too old to keep up, one young woman one night would kill me, so....that whole idea got the big flush.
    She might have been gone forever, so reality set in, I ain't spent a meaningful hour in my shop in three months, although I will get back in there, just not while I look after her, she's more important.

15. Family is the most import part of out lives, I have had periods when I was unable to spend a minute pursuing my hobby and that went on for months on end but I could still dream and plan my next move whenever that transpired.

We never know what tomorrow will bring, hopefully your wife's health will continue to improve and you can regain some sense of normalcy. HRP

16. 34Larry

34Larry

I'm right beside you on this one trollst, ( except for the kil*** part) and I know you don't really mean that either. Mine is my age also, has dementia and always questioned my time in the garage with my 34. 2nd marriage back in 95, lived together for 5 years before that and she loved car shows when showing Rivera, then came the comment and that was all over. She hasn't shown an interest in anything automotive since. Gets upset when get on the computer, questions everything.Dementia (sp?) is so cruel but that is not the reason entirely. I'm not religious that much, but I made a comment and I keep my word as best I can. It is challenging most of the time to be sure, and she shares the daily load pretty good, and my affection for her has not waned, and her need of me keeps me going.

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

NO ELECTRICITY involved! Cement, stone walls, trees make firewood, house is a great place to keep my stuff. The wiring, or thought of it really killed any progress on the car stuff, still enjoy walking by it. Bob

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  18. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

34Larry thats a tough row to hoe and your doing good buddy!

jammer, trollst and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  19. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have always been a car nut and after 83 builds I showed no signs of slowing...until 2 months ago.
    https://www.columbian.com/news/2019/apr/14/battle-ground-honors-three-police-officers-for-saving-two-mens-lives/
    Dying can do a lot to reshape one's priorities. I still made the Roadster Show a few weeks later (with 4 broken ribs from cop who takes his CPR very seriously) because I have an amazing wife and some really good car buddies but to say the least I don't have the same passion for a silly hobby as I once did.

I still have the hemi 40 PU to build but I also have a European vacation to plan and some quality time to spend with my wife having fun and making memories rather then just making more cars.

Keep your life (spiritual and physical) and your hobbies in perspective, advice form the "other side".

jammer, Legends47, Petejoe and 8 others like this.
  20. jim snow

jim snow

Danny, I can see your point. I.M.H.O. I think the best remedy is to have a different event to look forward to every year. Keeps the juices flowing. Jalopyrama on Thursday can’t wait. Snowman

pprather and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  21. rgdavid

rgdavid

Thats the reall think to do, i lost my wife in september 2015, in the 4 yrs of her cancer i stopped work to look after her, there is no choice, you wont regret it as its the most love you can give, im just getting back the taste to do things, its bloody strange and im only 56. I wish you strength to give. And i hope a miracle happens for you both.

jammer, olcurmdgeon, raven and 3 others like this.
  22. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

I still do. Just wish everyday had like 50 hours.

HOTRODPRIMER and wicarnut like this.
  23. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Bill
    You always say "and tip your waitress".
    I'd say "tip your local police and paramedics".
    Great you are sticking around.

24. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Will be 80 this yr, good joints, no arthritis, good heart, but have slowed down a bunch.
    I enjoy the old traditional cars and am building 2 roadsters.

Wife has Alzheimers and can still function a bit. I just have to spend lots of time with her. Just had a bone spur in the lt heel, with some complications. Mostly over that. Then there is yard work, house work, and worst of all cooking and cleaning. But still green side up. 3 yrs ago Dr decided I had Parkinsons.

I enjoy the build but it's too slow now. I forget where I am doing things. I keep notes but lose the notes.

25. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

I do again now that I'm 80 and this (on left) will probably be my last build...chemo and all..you just gotta power through it all.
    Phil

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    impala4speed and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  26. Just returned from the PNW, beautiful place but something was missing. Old cars! After driving the damn rental with the stupid corrective steering and other crap, I wat to build a classic DD. I'm as afflicted as ever. Rest of the family thinks somethings wrong with me.

27. town sedan

town sedan

Yes, I do.
    My body not so much. Almost 2 & 1/2 years ago I was run over and am finally beginning to feel better, but not great yet.

34Larry, I lost both my parents to Alzheimers. It can't be easy for you, but stay strong and know that people do care.
    -Dave

jammer and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  28. wicarnut

wicarnut

AT 71, Mentally YES, Physically NO, Still will go to some cruises/shows/races/etc, Enjoying life, But I do not want to work/build anything much anymore, garage fun over, trying to finish my race car restoration project that's been stalled out for a few years. When I finish that, thinking I'm going to start selling off my shop/tools/equipment, maybe use space, just as a man cave, pool hall, rec room. None of my children have any interest in my "Stuff/Junk/Collections". I/we are planning on spending the money through our retirement years, travel some or ?. I/we enjoyed Az. this Winter and will never spend another Winter in Wi. (Been There, Done That) Your question reminds of the question asked me years ago when I left racing,(Born into it, till my mid 40's) many people asked me if there is life after racing, my answer is YES, just like there will be after Cars/Hot rodding, IMO life is all about what you make it and what makes you happy, keeps you occupied/etc, we all have to do something, I spend too much time here on the HAMB lately. LOL

jammer, Latigo, raven and 5 others like this.
  29. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, but at 74 the body says NO a lot. I'm on the 8th day of swapping an 8.8 where the original 56 was in my Victoria and nothing seems to be right. but I can stop ans rest any time I want so it's not as big a deal as it once was..

30. evil clown

evil clown
    from Verona, WI

I agree with the majority of the "high mileage guys" here. I'm not ancient, but I seem to have a string of health issues. Many days what I want to do, my body just won't.

The latest project for me is one I'm doing with my two sons & two 15 year old grandsons. We're having so much fun in the garage it should be illegal! If that doesn't keep you enthused, you better check your pulse!

Hot rods forever!!

jammer, raven, deucemac and 2 others like this.