Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The Truth behind these weird & unknown Flathead Heads?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johns Rod & Custom, Feb 7, 2019.

1. ArtSparksHeads1.jpg
    An Excerpt from Dean Batchelor’s Book The American Hot Rod (Page 85)
    One outstanding exception I can think of were some heads made in the 1930’s by Art Sparks. These 21 stud heads (actually 24 Stud) were water-cooled over the valves, and had fins similar to those on a motorcycle cylinder – running transversely instead of lengthwise over the cylinders. Art explained to me that he wanted a different rate of heat dissipation for the valves and pistons, and this was his way of accomplishing that

Deuces, kadillackid, Muttley and 10 others like this.
  2. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Just to mention there are 8 spark plugs per head though in the pic only four are wired..

3. belair

belair

4. SR100

SR100

loudbang likes this.

5. khead47

khead47

Bronze ???

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  6. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

Looks like these heads are no longer unknown. Johns Rod & Custom - thanks for posting. I wonder if a set of these heads still exist, or if the set in the photo were the only set of these heads that were ever cast and are long gone.

7. 5window

5window

It would be fascinating to learn how he planned to fire 16 plugs off a flathead electrical system.

8. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

^^^ Prolly use one of Kong Jackson's distributors...just a guess.

9. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

those air cooled fins and possibly redundant plugs may mean that was intended for aircraft use? Just speculatin

Deuces, loudbang and 5window like this.
  10. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Pratt&Whitney did make a Radial engine that was a flathead! Saw a cylinder barrel and head at their on site museum..Angled valves similar to a Harly 45..Since the head bolts were loose I took them out and removed the head; very nice valve/combustion design..Don't remember what engine series or maybe several; the Flathead version was called The Small Overall Diameter Option..I imagine the horsepower output was about 30% less than the radial version and was a few pounds lighter..

11. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The common way was to use a Nash straight eight distributor as the Nash was a twin p-lug engine from the factory. Here was my way. Inexpensive and direct way to fire twin plugs. new ply. jpg.JPG

12. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

What are the distributors? Any mech adv.?

13. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I used Pinto distributors. I have done it with others, I did one with Mallory distributors for a Chrysler outboard for an odd fire Chevy V6 for Al Liest. The Pinto are stock with the exception of advance springs being changed for a more rapid advance. Head shown also takes water from around the exhaust valves, but then just flows back to the holding tank. Water doesn't actually flow around in the head.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    GuyW likes this.
  14. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Pinto, what I thought might be..I was thinking of machining one to fit a Crosley, just to get a larger platform..Looks like you have points..I would need advance curve to start at 750 and be in by 2000 rpm, and handle 4k [dist] rpm..Possible?

15. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I don't know why not. I can absolutely attest to them running well past 8000 at the crank. They are Bosch distributors and use the same points rotor and cap as an air cooled VW. So parts are going to be around for a long time.

seb fontana likes this.
  16. the37thstreet

the37thstreet

What happened to the topic ? Flatheads

17. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Flatheads with twin plug heads. Use distributors. 5window asked how that was done. So now he knows two ways at least. What does your post add to the discussion?

5window, Blue One, Halfdozen and 8 others like this.
  18. Boden

Boden

There so this special cap
    That has 16 plug wires coming out of it. Pretty crazy for back on the day.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

On my Crosley in the mid '60s I used a stock Crosley distributor & points with a 6v Lincoln coil & condenser & was spinning way over 10K at the crank(not to steal thread, but to add to a previous comment)

20. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I have a couple of sets of original Eddie Meyer heads and they are cast for two plugs per cylinder but mine were machined for a single plug per cylinder. So it must have been done...

21. Boden

Boden

That's what it is called. I saw a picture of it once and I was blown away.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Of course, there is the guy in Australia who makes the special front cover for an 8BA that allows two distributors to be run. I have pictures and videos of it running on my other computer back in Minnesota. It's a real clever set up with the primary electrics in one distributor only. The points in the first distributor activate two coils, and the second distributor is just that; it distributes the secondary voltage to the second set of plugs. That way, there is only one set of points and one advance mechanism to worry about. I am very impressed with his set up, and would have one on my "Hot Rod" motor if I could afford it. I am saving my pennies.

Hnstray likes this.
  23. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Things are fine with me. The only down side of your twin distributor setup is that you have to have the dual plug heads too!:rolleyes:

24. Commodoreswab

Commodoreswab
    from West TN

Any thoughts on making Zephyr heads?

25. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I’d like to see your response to this comment and this thread.
    In the thread Where have all the independents gone
    @alchemy said:

I had my dash panel ripped off by an Australian guy. He bought one of mine and is making EXACT copies and selling them.

And this:
    Yes he is a member. I only sold my dash panels to members of the HAMB. His name is Terry Wills and goes by Elco Heads on the HAMB. Check out the last page of this thread:https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...l-i-did-for-my-32.441108/page-6#post-12915542

Sounds to me like you’re a real scum bag and have been shamelessly ripping off other guys stuff and just ignoring any static raised about it.

I’m wondering how @Ryan might feel about the situation if he knows about it.

If it’s all true then I don’t think you should be free to keep posting and promoting your stuff here.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    C69A likes this.
  26. alchemy

alchemy

Change the thread title to: Rare Art Sparks Heads Soon to be Available From Australia

27. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I'm just learning about all this ripping shit off stuff... Bummed... I'm gonna attempt to get the other side of the story. If your stuff has been copied/stolen, drop me a line.

GuyW likes this.
  28. Thought I would give this thread a bump with a new detailed photo of the 'SPARKS' heads from the late 40s, likely '47, scanned from negative. You can see someone ground down the fins o_O:(:mad:
    dry-lake-(34).jpg

Untitled-2.jpg