Register now to get rid of these ads!

1948 Ford Superior short school bus.

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Kustomkid, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Kustomkid

Kustomkid
    from Montana

Got some more parts. Finding out that each bus was totally hand built. The roof aluminum mounting holes are all in different spots. Got to pull the rear corner quarter sections and figure out how the heater is mounted on the parts bus. But got most of the parts....[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  2. ratrodrodder

ratrodrodder
    from Boston

Do you know if the chassis was always that short? Looks like you could make it a rear/mid-engined wheel-standing showpiece!

Kustomkid likes this.
  3. Kustomkid

Kustomkid
    from Montana

As far as I know, it’s the stock frame. I was thinking about finding a hailed out motorhome or van for new running gear. Find something that’s running, mid 70’s.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  4. Kustomkid

Kustomkid
    from Montana

Found a brochure on eBay on the bus. Some good info for rebuilding and looking for parts. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Ford52PU, alanp561, Okie Pete and 3 others like this.
  5. Kustomkid

Kustomkid
    from Montana

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  6. raven

raven

I want to know if you’re going to paint it yellow...
    r

King ford likes this.
  7. Kustomkid

Kustomkid
    from Montana

Yes , it’s going to be yellow. Going to say school bus and probably be from the Hotrod & Kustom Technical Institute.

To chop, or not to chop, that is the question.

VANDENPLAS, drdave and scotts52 like this.
  8. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

I, personally, prefer the un-chopped look. The proportions go south when they're chopped...especially to the extreme.

zzford likes this.
  9. zzford

zzford

It might be a good idea to check state laws on the color. Some places, I believe, prohibit any buses being painted yellow unless they are used by an official school district.

10. Kustomkid

Kustomkid
    from Montana

Been doing some research on that. So far I haven’t found anything for Montana. The amount of restored old school buses that have been done that are painted bus yellow are a lot. Cool bus, Skool bus, to school bus. Hopefully there won’t be a problem.

11. Ok, the bus is cool and all and neat you've been able to find several for parts, buuuuuuut, shouldn't you be working on the Merc? LOL

Kustomkid likes this.
  12. Kustomkid

Kustomkid
    from Montana

Gees Mom! LOL
    This is just a side project as of right now. As far as I know, I have only found 2 siting in wrecking yards in Montana. Merc is still number two on priority to the house project. Got to get the bus moved this spring/summer. My daughter thinks it’s cool and has been helping alittle here and there.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  13. Haha!! I’m the worst in the world for too many projects and nothing finished. In all these years, I’ve only ever finished one car....then sold it. Projects on the other hand...I got lots and lots of those. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Kustomkid likes this.
  14. Kustomkid

Kustomkid
    from Montana

Life would be boring without to many projects. I’m hoping the house project will be mostly done in a couple months. Heat and finishing the home theater.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    drdave likes this.
  15. I'm in the middle of home projects, too, so not making much progress on anything. Yesterday I took 15 minutes to take a Model T rear spring apart for the A. That's the first car thing I've done in months. LOL

16. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

I love that bus.......i want it..............

17. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Here's a local LWB version that's been sitting in a hot and dry spot for years. 20181027_144410.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

King ford, Kustomkid and scotts52 like this.
  18. Kustomkid

Kustomkid
    from Montana

I was able to get the heater and all of the rear panels out of the bus today. Got the 3 seats out and will pick them up the next trip. The heater is set in place for now. [​IMG] The next trip up I should be able to get the rest of the side panels along with the seat mount.

mgtstumpy, Okie Pete and drdave like this.
  19. What is going to power this beast?

20. Kustomkid

Kustomkid
    from Montana

I’m not sure yet. Trying to find a 1 ton for the running gear. Probably a big block Chevy if I find the right donor.

21. Kustomkid

Kustomkid
    from Montana

Got 3 of the seats for the bus. Going to shorten the seat rail and see if I want to try and find 3 more seat or 5. The bus originally ran 8 seats (24 passenger). [​IMG]

mgtstumpy and Okie Pete like this.
  22. Kustomkid

Kustomkid
    from Montana

Made it back to the yard and was able to get the front panel out and got it home. Was able to hit another yard and got the dome lights for the bus. Going back in June to get a couple more pieces when I got more time. [​IMG][​IMG]

mgtstumpy, Okie Pete and drdave like this.
  23. Love school buses .i have a 58 dodge wayne school bus shorty.

Kustomkid likes this.
  24. Saw one of these pass me in the opposite direction last week. Grey primer, a bit rough, on a trailer heading towards Ottawa Ontario, I think it said "Lunch Box" or something like that on the side. Another one is going to get saved, I hope.

[​IMG]

mgtstumpy and Kustomkid like this.
  25. A couple friends bought a shorty bus (not that old) a bunch of years ago to run trips to football games. They had to remove any semblance of "school" anything off of it, and weren't allowed to paint it yellow. Anyone would have been crazy to get on that bus anyway :D

Kustomkid likes this.
  26. Kustomkid

Kustomkid
    from Montana

End up getting 4 nos arrow 39 marker lights for the roof. Made some new gaskets and got them mounted. Got some 1/4 inch copper tubing to remake the vacuum wiper line for the windshield, and I might be able to get the roof panels installed in a couple weeks. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

27. Kustomkid

Kustomkid
    from Montana

Just went and looked at a Chevy 1 ton with a reading service box on it. I think the cab & chassis rear axle will be perfect. The service box measured 90 inches and the bus body with fender flares is almost 91.

greaser likes this.
  28. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

Hauled this one out of Missouri for a guy. DaBus.jpg

29. atch

atch

Beyond unique. I've never seen anything like it. This would make a great tow vehicle for a drag car.

Kustomkid - do you have the stainless pieces for the grill? I know they are repopped, but new ones are a bit spendy (at least for someone with my budget). I know where there used to be one or more grills with the stainless pieces in a boneyard about 30 miles form me. I haven't been there for several years, but it's likely that they are still there. Do you want me to check to see if they still have them?

30. Kustomkid

Kustomkid
    from Montana

I don’t have the stainless for the grille. That would be awesome if you could. The yards I’ve been to in the billings area have been picked over pretty good. Thank you.