Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Wheel help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Andrew Kroeker, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Andrew Kroeker

Andrew Kroeker

Hello everyone, long time lurker and first time poster. I’ve looked high and low and can’t find any info on a set of wheel I saw.
    I want them, but they are too small, 14” won’t clear my brakes. There are no identifying markings on them, wondering if anyone knows who makes or made them, and a model or anything like that. I’ve attached two pics. Thanks for the help everyone.
    IMG_0992.JPG IMG_0993.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. you are kidding, right? you can't be serious

Bandit Billy and loudbang like this.
  3. egads

egads

4. Andrew Kroeker

Andrew Kroeker

No I’m not kidding. The car makes almost 700lb/ft of torque and I like the look of wire wheels on it. This gives me the benefit of a strong steel wheel and the look of the wire wheel. Be constructive or move on please

5. Nova Thug

Nova Thug
    from SG Vizzle

I think you could go to a local wheel maker and get some 15” wheels made to your specs that could accept the wire basket hardware.. You could also look to some trailer manufacturers or suppliers for modular wheels which are fairly common in trailers.. Typically, these wheels have round or triangular holes in the dish area and they are usually white but they are available in chrome as well. I have a set of the chrome modular wheels in 15x7 with a 5 on 4.5” bolt pattern available.. If that works.
    BA8BE7D1-63CC-42B3-8F32-0BFEFE8C4718.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  6. Andrew Kroeker

Andrew Kroeker

egads likes this.
  7. Andrew Kroeker

Andrew Kroeker

I haven’t had a problem finding the smooth steel wheels, just can’t find the wire baskets that mount to them, I like the idea of checking with a wheel shop, they could probably at least point me on the right direction, thanks.

8. Nova Thug

Nova Thug
    from SG Vizzle

Those type of wheels were kind of like a dealership dress up type item.. Probably not going to be a lot of replacements or reproduction baskets out there..

Look up
    Collin’s Wheel in Long Beach, Ca
    Stockton Wheel in Stockton Ca.
    Wheel Smith not sure of their location.

You might also search for Buick, Oldsmobile, and Cadillac accessories or parts.

9. gene-koning

gene-koning

Depending on what wheel bolt pattern you need, this style wheel was popular on Chrysler 5th Ave cars in the mid 80s. The center pieces and the wire baskets were really cheap chrome, and most were not kept clean very well.

The Mopar version had additional holes between the wheel mounting holes where the center piece was screwed to the wheel. The wire basket was held to the center cap with a single screw in the center that was often messed up. There was a plastic cover that snapped in place on the wire basket to cover the center screw, that cover was also often missing or broken.

I had the experience of working at a Chrysler dealership in the mid 80s, those wheels were well hated. People would crank tight that center bolt and you couldn't get them loose. Many wire baskets were screwed up attempting to loosen, or cut around the center screw, and that was when these things were less then a year or two old. Good luck finding the wire baskets and the center piece.
    I believe nearly every car company offered similar wheels, they were very popular for a few years. Gene

10. Andrew Kroeker

Andrew Kroeker

11. town sedan

town sedan

I remember the GM version of those wire basket wheels lover to make a tick, tick, tick sound as they went around. But not traditional in a pre '65 way of thinking.
    -Dave

12. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here, I found a set on epay for you that are 15". They ought to handle that torque monster of yours.
    upload_2019-4-22_11-10-28.png

13. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

That seller is sure optimistic......or he knows sumthin we don’t.....:confused:

The comments in post #9 seem extreme to me and I was a Chrysler dealer from 1981 thru 1999. I think with a little searching, you could find a nice set of those Mopar wire wheel covers for a reasonable price.

They were commonly found on New Yorkers (especially 5th Ave], also on Córdoba, Magnum, much less frequently on Diplomat and Gran Fury.

They will not fool a sharp eyed observer, but they are, imo, one of the better looking imitation wire wheel covers. Some GM models had pretty nice wire caps in the mid ‘60s in 15” as well.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019