Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 39-40 Ford Sedans Done Right!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gonzo, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Tater Bug

Tater Bug

2. gonzo

gonzo

3. gonzo

gonzo

[​IMG]

My heart just stopped!

4. gonzo

gonzo

Above picture courtesy of @911 steve below is the complete post. I hope we get more information and maybe a build thread out of the current owner.

"back in 1972, a friend had a really cool 40 sedan show car, 348, hand-painted flames, chrome rear end housing, wht pearl interior, some time back his son found the car & brought it back home but it was in poor condition.before & after pics, the lil boy in the pics is now grown shown with it[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]after pics"

5. Silva

Silva

On the road again... Nailhead powered survivor. sideview.jpeg

6. Hey @Tater Bug

This one popped up in my FB "Memories" feed today. Figured you might appreciate it.

10257635_10201054658768188_8298049957328604798_o.jpg

7. Tater Bug

Tater Bug

8. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

probably wont be much of a build thread, he's really busy, just moved & building a new shop, his plans were to put a 348 back in it, it had no engine or trans when he bought it back, just clean up the outside & interior, keep it as is...personally I would restore it to its previous glory but to each his own

gonzo likes this.
  9. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

some more shots of it as it sits 004.JPG 005.JPG 012.JPG 001.JPG 002.JPG

alfin32, Nostrebor, Gizzy and 6 others like this.
  10. gonzo

gonzo

11. That was a photo that Cory McMahon took at the beginning of the 1st Annual SWMO Hot Rod Hundred. That's Harvey Ragsdale, behind the wheel. I'll have to dig through my photos SWMOHRH2014217800x600.jpg
    Here's an action shot, from later that morning, up near Stockton Lake, taken by Clay Vance @cvstl

12. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-4-28_3-41-47.png This is a nice looking 1939-40 Ford Sedan that had a similar look and stance, including the wider deep dish rear rims, during our teenage hot rod days. With the Big/Little tires, the stance was pure So Cal style, ready for the drags, high school, or cruising Bixby Knolls.

Hello,

In high school, a friend had this cool looking, red, 1939-40 two door Ford Sedan. It was the only Ford Sedan in the area. He had put in a Buick motor with 3 Strombergs. The tall floor shift came from a LaSalle transmission. At the time, it was the fastest sedan around. It had the idle that made people notice it was not just a big sedan, but had some power behind the red paint.

The interior was white tuck and roll. The interior glowed in the lights of the parking lots while we were all sitting around eating and throwing out all kinds of bravado. It stood out just because of the bright red paint and stance. No one wanted to race the red sedan because of the mysterious motor. No one knew how big it was, how fast at Lions Dragstrip it ran, and other than a Buick motor, what was inside?

Jnaki

I was able to cruise around a couple of days and nights in the sedan. It did have lots of power, but seemed to flatten out around the ¾ mark on the Cherry Ave. drags area. That gave me an advantage, as my car (1958 348 Impala) pulled from ½ way to the end. But, we never raced, just looked at each other and smiled. Friends are and will be friends, if one does not have something over the other.

gonzo and exterminator like this.
  13. gonzo

gonzo

E695E75E-F2D8-48E2-83E1-A5044260A592.jpeg 2FE6623A-0914-4A22-869B-42794114A877.jpeg

Saw this at the swapmeet today. The chop on this car was killer but there were a few details I would’ve left off. Still looked tough as nails.

clem, alfin32, 1pickup and 9 others like this.
  14. ne'erdowell

ne'erdowell

I saw the sedan above. Agree, great chop, stance and overall look. Buuuuttttt... there were definitely some mixed messages when you looked inside

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

gonzo likes this.
  15. verde742

verde742

[​IMG]WHAT IS THIS COLUMN OUT OF?

PONTNAK123 and nunattax like this.
  16. ne'erdowell

ne'erdowell

Bump because this great thread has been quiet for too long. Gonzo, has your project taken direction since starting this and seeing so many great options? I came to believe long ago that I would need too many cars (her opinion, not mine) to do all the things I would like to do! C'mon let's see some more sedans.

17. Looks like '55 Mercury to me along with the steering wheel.

18. BFXJason

BFXJason

Work in progress....
    IMG_6801.JPG IMG_6902.JPG
    IMG_6991.JPG IMG_6989.JPG

19. Bigmac48

Bigmac48
    from Dundalk Md

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Revive this thread ! Revisited this thread after new stance and wheel color and tire size changes 'here's some pics of my 40 sedans new look and one before changes .

woodz, olscrounger, alfin32 and 20 others like this.
  20. Bigmac48

Bigmac48
    from Dundalk Md

Thank you, yea I'm lovin the change ,

lothiandon1940 and nunattax like this.
  21. ^^^^Lookin' great, I love it^^^:)..............Don.

Nailhead Jason and i.rant like this.
  22. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

The black wheels give your car an “edge” it didn’t have before with the red IMO.:cool:
    New look is perfect w/o beauty rings.:D

Jim Bouchard and lothiandon1940 like this.
  23. So, you already know that I love the wheel/tire combo change. The next question is did you do some suspension changes to help the stance? I tend to try and catalog all these things in the back of my brain so that when I have another '40 project, I will try to remember where I put the things I stored back there. ;-)

warbird1 likes this.
  24. Personally, I preferred the red wheels and trim rings; but with the new stance. All black in the wheel wells just kind of disappears... But that's just me. Still looks great!

25. cool....we want a new and we want it black.....what Mick said.......

26. Bigmac48

Bigmac48
    from Dundalk Md

Bchrismer ,yes , dropped axle , steering arms, leaves taken out of stock spring , more details in my post "Anybody going South (the sequel) sent it to Weedetr (Dale Caulfield) . Warbird1. I went from loving the red wheels to getting tired of them real quick with the blue paint . Even did same color blue for about a month . Also thought of a brownish burgundy like a 40 deluxe horn button and dash knobs. Even thought wide whites ! But most of the 39 -40 s I have been drawn to - catch my eye had black wheels 40 standard caps and no rings ,anyway don't think I will change color for awhile .here are a couple of my favorites I've had in my photo gallery some 5-8 yrs before I bought my 40 .the black one with fog lights is what I was trying to get close to, I've been smiling since I got it back!!! image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

27. Bigmac48

Bigmac48
    from Dundalk Md

I rant ,thank you I agree

28. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-7-27_4-20-19.png
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...re-going-forward.1191837/page-3#post-13556107

Hello,

Being as experienced in most things as we have learned over time, one begins to wonder the “what if” ideas. What if we wanted to have another 1940 Ford sedan instead of 3rd 1940 Ford sedan delivery again? Thoughts had crossed our minds if we wanted to cruise around in something that would be part of how and when we grew up together. But, have room in the back for our granddaughter and her friends to enjoy hot rodding with them. The green 2 door Ford Sedan was local and it would be a 30 minute drive to go buy it on site.
    upload_2020-7-27_4-21-7.png
    We seriously considered this 3rd Ford Sedan Delivery for a current purchase. Despite being in Texas, it is well built, it has the look, the stance, and set up for modern day driving anywhere. Cash in hand, we could easily fly to Houston, enjoy the Texas coastline, and have a fun cruise back to So Cal in the blue sedan delivery.

Jnaki

upload_2020-7-27_4-21-42.png
    Or, we could fly to Fort Collins, Co and see/buy this stock sedan delivery and drive it cautiously back. The only thing we would do to this green sedan delivery is to paint it a salmon pink/red to make it look exactly like my first sedan delivery I bought in high school, Flathead and all.
    upload_2020-7-27_4-22-34.png upload_2020-7-27_4-23-9.png
    It does not matter what any hot rod looks like, if it fits your style and pocket book, then drive it anywhere. Enjoy what limited time there is to enjoy the pandemic cruises.
    upload_2020-7-27_4-23-52.png
    If we paint this 40 Ford sedan bright red, it would look like this 40 Ford Sedan that was a fast Buick powered sedan from the old days of Bixby Knolls. The only Buick powered hot rod in the neighborhood at the time. (Or leave it that nice shade of green.) But, if we decide to purchase another 1940 Ford, it probably would be this green two door sedan.

That way our granddaughter could cruise around with us like the old days when she was a toddler, except for the fact that she is now a certified teenager, almost ready to drive. Time flies when you are having fun!!!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    exterminator and bchrismer like this.