Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Challenges of getting your ride road worthy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ziggster, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Ziggster

Ziggster

I will be building a vehicle from scratch and know it will be very challenging to obtain a road worthy certificate if I build it the way I want. Where I live, they actually have very good documentation on the process and what they will check. A while back I was in touch with an engineer from the government he he mentioned a few things that my vehicle had to comply with. A few are listed below:

1. Exterior lighting must comply with modern standards (e.g. Two headlights, signal lights front and rear, etc.).
    2. Dash must comply with modern standards (speedo, idiot lights?, SAE symbols for signals, etc)
    3. Windshield with wiper system
    4. Interior heater
    5. Adjustable seat with proper seat belt and anchors
    6. Exhaust must not be exposed and must exit rear passenger door
    7. Gas tank must be located in a "protected" area
    8. Wheels must covered by fenders

If I followed all of the above, there is no way my vehicle would be true to the design. What I don't understand is that there are plenty of vehicles out there that don't meet some or any of the specs above. I understand that there are likely huge variations across Canada and USA, but locally I've seen vehicles that have exposed/open headers, wheels with no fenders, non-compliant lighting/signals, etc. I would really like to get mine road certified, but will likely still go ahead with the build if I can't. Just curious what others have experienced getting their vehicles certified for the road where they live.

2. NAES

NAES

My first thought is you get a frame and title from something pre-smog era and build around that. Then you have a 1965 Ford "whatever" with custom everything around it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. fullhouse296

fullhouse296
    from Australia

From Australians point of view , Ive often wondered about that , given also the litigation that would erupt in a accident situation .seems to me that any half good lawyer could have a field day with rat rods .

Sandgroper likes this.
  4. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

First you must comply. Once you have plates... then you customize.

5. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

Not to downplay your concerns, they can present problems. But,build it,build it safe,build it reliable,drive it,enjoy it.

6. gene-koning

gene-koning

Does it need a "road worthy certificate" to be able to legally drive it or get insurance on it, or is that something the local government likes to see?

If its not a requirement, do without it if it won't pass, but be prepared that should something bad happen, some lawyer will be willing to use you as an example of what not to do, and that may be very costly.

Rules are in place to provide a safe environment for all the local citizens, should you choose to ignore the rules and get caught, there may be consequences to pay. Its part of the "game", break all the rules you want, just understand what the results of your choices may be and play accordingly. Gene

7. indyjps

indyjps

Car doesnt have to be 100% for cert? can it still be in primer to allow you to undo whatever you need to do for cert?

1. Exterior lighting must comply with modern standards (e.g. Two headlights, signal lights front and rear, etc.).

Bracket that mounts to the frame and curves up toward the body, can be unbolted later.
    2. Dash must comply with modern standards (speedo, idiot lights?, SAE symbols for signals, etc)

Speedo is handy. How are they gonna check idiot lights for function, Panel with some leds mounted in it and a clump of wiring out the back for idiot lights. Unbolt it later.
    3. Windshield with wiper system

These are nice to have
    4. Interior heater

Any heater core and blower, doesnt have to be permanent, see if defrost is required.
    5. Adjustable seat with proper seat belt and anchors

Bolt in a late model integrated seatbelt whatever for the inspection, yes it will look horrible
    6. Exhaust must not be exposed and must exit rear passenger door

This may cramp your style.
    7. Gas tank must be located in a "protected" area

Good idea
    8. Wheels must covered by fenders

Cycle or trailer fenders that unbolt

8. Pfffft.

Texas Webb and mgtstumpy like this.
  9. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Most of you guys would have most likely heard us whinging Ozzies previously mention the strict rules and regulations here that we're stuck with. We have no other options and don't have the luxury of being given a free slate or be cavalier in the way we approach a build. He's some history, I know you guys would scream and revolt if you had to go through what we do to get a car on the road. :D:D
    Down here ever state / territory has different procedures and processes however there are now uniform National guidelines to adhere to however not every state DoT has adopted them to date. The National Streetrod Manual wase based on those introduced in this state eons ago and adopted over time in some way, shape or form by other jurisdictions.
    There are a few cars that got through and got registered by circumventing the legislation or taking advantage of loopholes, many US built cars were imported that were deficient in many areas, this led to the government changing the vehicle import rules. Almost all of the imported cars required extensive modifications to comply with the rules here. Some states require annual vehicle safety inspections, others require it only at the time of registration and/or when registration is transferred. We don't use titles here, bills of sale suffice.
    Today, each state has it's own Technical advisory Committee (TAC), sub-committees of the National body (ADRF) that work with local DoT. However there is a push for every state to adopt the National Guidelines for consistency as some states require builders to use qualified [Mechanical] engineers who are purportedly qualified to assess, overview and monitor the construction of hot rods all the way through from conception to registration. Before we commence a build in this state we are required to submit detailed [Engineering type] build plans of your proposal, body style, engine, frame, transmission, wheels, brakes, suspension etc in advance, of course there is a nominal (Exorbitant) fee then and more similar fees at each build inspection stage (3), rolling frame, body on frame and final. Certain things need to be done in a specific order to pass each inspection stage.
    Here we need to adhere to stringent guidelines if you want to play despite some inspectors not knowing the difference between a gas or radiator cap, let alone have they ever built a car. One intellectual giant [Engineer] took exception to parallel 4-bar front suspension citing that the geometry was all wrong and shouldn't work. I even know what a parallelogram is, yet this individual now signs off on cars at inspection stage(s). He's been questioned on numerous occasions by [us] unqualified individuals on some of his ill-founded assertions, then gone away to do some research, later swallowing his words. He recently put some ridiculous proposition to a hot-rodder building a car, which to us is basic knowledge, just goes to show where the hobby here is headed. It's been turned into big business for some [Engineers] and might I add, very lucrative financially as well. Like doctors and lawyers everyone has a different point of view on what is correct and what isn't etc. Individual interpretation is some what ambiguous from what I've seen. Yes qualified professional require indemnity insurance however it's not a bad cash cow given that they possess a Bachelor's degree, know the theory however they lack the necessary practicable skills and experience and often need guidance themselves. I've seen cars passed by them that are substandard and don't meet the rules either. Do as I say, not as I do. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    I'm one of a growing number of dissenting rodders in this state who are frustrated with flawed national / state bodies, processes and not using private engineers not connected directly to the hobby. This only applies to original steel bodied cars and not reproduction bodies. We'd prefer to use those in the know with actual real world knowledge, experience and skills who have actually got their hands dirty at some time.
    Who wants to move down here now, a great place to live and none of that white stuff. Fantastic climate plus we're a friendly bunch of people who drive on the wrong side of the road. :D:D
    Off my soapbox now.

10. Not wanting to get political, but reading all of that and seeing what nanny state politicians can do to your freedom, I am once again glad to live in the USA. All of those restrictions may be a good thing in the end, but mandating them stifles creativity and freedom in my redneck opinion.

11. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I am in the process of building my totally from scratch single seater, it's not a Ford,Dodge, Mercury, Chevy or Farmall tractor but made up from all the above. I,m in the search mode for a twenties era title and the the car will be what ever the title says it is. Here in rural South Dakota I will not be bugged with all the restrictions being it will be a car from the twenties. image.jpg

mgtstumpy and Ziggster like this.
  12. RICK R 44

RICK R 44

Live in Ontario, have been driving a fenderless roadster for 20 years(see avitar) You need to find a M O T certified shop that will certify a hot rod. Discuss minimums with that shop. Talk to other hot rod owners. If you want more info, e mail me your phone number.

13. Ziggster

Ziggster

I do off-roading and am somewhat familiar with what the Aussie's have had to go through if they modify their off-road vehicles just as @mgtstumpy mentioned. I actually live in Quebec, just north of Ottawa and that is where it will to be plated. I know this is a touchy subject as many have had issues I'm sure getting rods plated. I found a thread on the factory five forum about a Quebecer who went through hell trying to get his 818 kit plated in Quebec. He finally managed but he strongly encouraged anyone wanting to do the same to get in touch with the provincial body/ engineer as early on as you can. The other issue is that you have to go to the police with invoices showing VINs/ serial numbers of all major components you purchased. This is parts of the process here, and if they don't sign off you're screwed. This is supposedly to ensure nothing you have is stolen. My engine, trans, drive train were all purchased on kijiji (Craig's List in Canada) and I have no documentation, so I'll now have to go back and get what I can.

mgtstumpy likes this.
  14. jazz1

jazz1

The vehicle can be built and licensed as it was when original. No seat belts or even tail lights if they were not stock. Never had a problem getting a safety.
    First get your vehicle registered even if as UNFIT, before you spend a dime. Ontario is by far the easiest place to get a registration/title if there is not one existing.
    For the safety inspection best to talk to shop first. I had one tell me I needed bumpers..BULLSHIT, bumpers were a option on my truck,they just don't know. Talk to local car guys see which inspection station is knowledgeable on doing inspections on older vehicles.

15. bonneville bones

bonneville bones

Buy a title and use that as your registration

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

16. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are quicker ways to get ones car confiscated but I cannot think of one just now.

loudbang likes this.
  17. Ziggster

Ziggster

I'm not sure how titles work here on Ontario and Quebec, but the guy I purchased my axles from in Ontario was trying to sell just a title for an old car for CAN$400. Rules here in Quebec about hand built vehicles and modifying an existing car are quite strict

18. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Out of curiosity, can you have the car built (or build it) in another province, title n tag it there, & then transfer it to home w/o issue? Not circumventing rules, but using existing rules to your advantage. May have to have a temp residence in that province, or know/trust/contract w/someone who does. Or even import the basic build/pile-of-parts/titled from the states? I get you have some parts already, but... :) .
    Marcus...

19. Ziggster

Ziggster

I'll likely be looking at all options to see if there is an "easy" route. I remember years back I purchased a 73 Ford Bronco from Ontario, and when I was having it inspected in Quebec they refused my safety because one of the seat belt buckles was missing the plastic cover and one of the sun visors was missing or busted, but yet they didn't check my brakes which were marginal. A few weeks later after getting it safetied, I was pulley over by the provincial police for having a non-compliant rotating/flashing blue light on the roof. The previous owner had mounted a plow with the blue light, but in Quebec, blue lights were not allowed and were reserved for police/ emergency vehicles. Luckily he gave me a warning and a few days to remove it.

20. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Having gone through building our 1940 Willys Coupe with the SBC, then rebuilding with a bigger SBC and a 671 for C/Gas, we knew what was required for the class. But, the DMV had its requirements, too. Luckily, back then the Lions Dragstrip rules, followed the DMV car requirements and was simple to follow.

The classes were exciting as most of our friends had cars they raced at the dragstrip at one time or another. At the time, setting up a modified car for the street class was pretty simple. Now, getting it to run legally on the street was another story.
    upload_2019-7-15_3-23-57.png

If all anyone did was to pop off the hubcaps, uncork the shorty exhaust pipes, and run, it was usually the stock car class. But, any simple modification like different carbs, a cam or auto to 4 speed, not currently in the showroom moved any car to the Gas Coupe and Sedan Class. In the same mode, any Gas Coupe or Sedan, not complying with the street legal set up was moved to an Altered class.

It happened (designated an Altered), despite the fact that the competition was usually not a street legal car. (no working headlights, no license plate, no front bumper, and a bare interior were some of the common rules infractions) One dysfunctional item and it was B/Altered, not B/Gas, and street legal.

Jnaki

So, my brother and I were meticulous to make sure our 1940 Willys had all of the street legal equipment in working order. Our test drive with both versions of the SBC were at night, cruising around the Bixby Knolls areas. So we were completely street legal, brake lights, license, headlights, interior, etc.

Even though it was ready for the B/Gas class, it ran quite smoothly on the street and did not make a lot of noise through the capped exhaust pipes. But, that idle and rumble sound of the 671 SBC and swoosh of the 6 Strombergs made our day (and nights).

In the pits, when we first fired up our street legal, 1940 Willys gas coupe, it was uncorked and running through the Hedman Hedders. Now, the cruising on the street was pretty nice with it capped up and legal. But, with the full power of the 671 SBC and Strombergs doing its thing during our initial open exhaust, fire up, it drew a lot of attention.

This moment in the 1960 Lions Dragstrip pits is why we were hot rodders and drag racers. A successful first build and that powerful sound made our day.
    upload_2019-7-15_3-23-26.png

pitman likes this.
  21. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Im sorry but from my experience down here in TEXAS.... Basically the car must have as states "safety equipment, ie lighting, seatbelts, signals etc that were standard equipment for that year." So if you have a 1950 Ford, no turn signals, but must have, headlights, tail lights, brake lights, parking lights, horn and that's about it. I know some countries are trying to make any vehicle pass modern standards and that just isn't the case for them. Its pretty much to deter anyone looking to enjoy old vehicles or a way to tax the hell out of them for it. Best I can do is tell you to do some searching on grandfather clauses in the vehicle permitting. Most countries have exceptions, such as classic or antique auto or horseless carriage. Those exceptions normally give the details of driving and restrictions that you may have to abide by. I don't think I would take a inspectors word for anything, I know the laws very well in the state I live in when it comes to vintage automobiles for inspections, registrations etc. I think its every manys duty to know such laws to make sure when someone tries to enforce some crap on you, you can fight such crap with the correct facts.

Do the diligence and the internet is your friend when it comes to laws and exceptions. You may have to adjust your build to fit some things. But the SAE turn signal crap is BS, and idiot lights and dash layout. Fenders is a rough one cause in many places now even in the US its illegal to be without fenders...So hope you find some answers, but remember you can make fenders removable. PUt them on to get it inspected and pull them off after.